how to be british

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
funnier than i expected, too.

M&S - Zionist pigs! Plus they don't make that really nice salad they used to make with the weird wheat.

I think someone's comment about disguising emotional repression with endless 'banter' was the most accurate.

Dusty

Tone deaf
plus im still annoyed they got rid of their old chocolate muesli and replaced it with an awful new version.

Finally, someone else who understands my pain. I was addicted to the original version; oaty, choccy goodness. Now it is some kind of sugary pap the like of which you would find in a Kellogs box.

you

bloody hell, what a nonce in the top row - pearls of wisdom like:

"I don’t want to sound racist, but I also found that there were now so many foreigners in London that they were taking over."

and

"I would probably vote for independence to see if it would work. We’re the poor relation at the moment. Scotland has always had the bum deal – look at the way the poll tax was trialled here."

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Form Belfast: "I’m a royalist and a loyalist. I’m very pro-British. I even own Britain’s national dog, a bulldog. My father was in the army, he was at Dunkirk. A united Ireland will never happen. Down south they’re Europeans. We’re British. We still have the pound. In fact, we’re more British than most of the British. Enoch Powell used to be my MP. He was a gentleman. People are happy with the way of life up here, even in nationalist areas, because they’re getting lots of money from the UK. You make hay while the sun shines, and the sun is shining on Northern Ireland at the moment"

Where to begin?

Anyone who overly identifies with their nation is quite clearly mad, as in 'being proud' of it.

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
That's right. My Dad's family are from West Belfast and they're all very proud to be Irish--obviously quite mad, to a person.

Anway, the most horrifying thing in that article was this image:

Top tip: secrete a loaf of bread in your handbag.

The mind boggles.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It wasn't specific to Belfast, tht just happened to be the example I came across.

Ireland or anywhere else has good and bad things about it - while everyone might say at some point of another in a moment of weakness that they're proud of their nation, it's hard to have any idea of what this actually means, beyond a statement of comforting vagueness that seems a bit passe and essentialist.

Nationalism is a bit of a stupid concept all round - hasn't exactly done Ireland or anywhere else much good. Thank God for sport, allowing some of it to diffuse (relatively) peacefully.

Last edited:

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
20120206-gci2g7n6xr3n3gur7s5ky9rm1y.jpg

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
The one thing that always amazed me about the British is that their girls are wearing next to nothing during the winter. If you're a girl and you're going out, you're wearing miniskirts and small tops. I never got how they didn't freeze to dead but one time I heard they spray silicone's over them leg's and arms to stay warm, IS THIS TRUE? It's so futuristic and inventive!

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
In a sense, things like the NHS are born of and sustained by national pride.

Quite a lot of historical revolutions (French and English spring to mind) have been 'patriotic' as well.

I think there's a difference between patriotism that demands an unquestioning obedient love of your country, and patriotism that involves a nurturing love of your country and a willingness to give it a solid kick up the arse if you think it's gone off the rails. It can be the sense of a shared project to make things better.

Obviously all this also applies at the level of your street, your town, your region, your continent and the world as a whole, but the national and the civic seem to be the basic levels on which you can effect change.

rubberdingyrapids

The one thing that always amazed me about the British is that their girls are wearing next to nothing during the winter. If you're a girl and you're going out, you're wearing miniskirts and small tops. I never got how they didn't freeze to dead but one time I heard they spray silicone's over them leg's and arms to stay warm, IS THIS TRUE? It's so futuristic and inventive!

i saw a girl on sunday, in the snow, wearing a micro skirt and a tiny jacket. i should have asked her about the silicone.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

This is seen most strongly in the north and east of the country. Hardy Nordic stock and all that.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think there's a difference between patriotism that demands an unquestioning obedient love of your country, and patriotism that involves a nurturing love of your country and a willingness to give it a solid kick up the arse if you think it's gone off the rails.

Important point here I think the distinction between patriotism and nationalism, which is often confused. The first kind of patriotism you've described there sounds more like nationalism, or at least is getting that way. The way I think about it, patriotism is like loving your mum because duh, she's your mum, of course you love her (though of course some people who had horribly neglectful or abusive mums might not feel much filial affection, in the same way people who feel they've been screwed over by their country might feel the exact opposite of patriotic). Whereas nationalism is like the unshakeable belief that your mum is unquestionably and objectively the best mum in the world. Like, much better than anyone else's mum, and if anyone disagree, well that's fightin' talk!