Pitiless police persecute Plastic People. Punters pissed.

nomos

Administrator
Re-opening

Very good news. I'll be very curious to hear what people think of the new sound system, and if the programming changes in any significant ways.

http://www.factmag.com/2010/07/19/20570/

Famed for its dark environs and thumping sound, Plastic People was the home of Theo Parrish’s UK residency, seminal dubstep night FWD>> and countless other important club-nights, including CD-R. Well, this weekend, the club will re-open with a pair of events and a new, albeit yet-to-be-fully-tweaked, soundsystem. According to the club in a statement made in June, their legal team managed to “come to some arrangements with the Police and Hackney Council”, and we guess this is the result.

Friday July 23 sees house night Warm return to the club with an appearance from Ostgut-Ton’s Prosumer, while Saturday is booked in for a list-only session by Nonsense, the night ran by Benny Blanco, a DJ who’s worked closely with the club’s owners throughout the recent problems, running the Keep Plastic People Alive Facebook petition.

Oh, and if you want to know what the new Plastic People is going to look and sound like, then Radio 1Xtra’s Benji B recently met up with Ade Fakile to talk about the club, and Twittered much of Fakile’s revelations, including the fact that the DJ booth will now “be where the entrance to the dancefloor is”, and although it will be a new booth and presumably feature a new mixer, it will still use formula sound. The new soundsystem will comprise “three-way passive studio monitors, like listening in a big studio”, replacing the club’s previous Funktion 1 system.

Last edited:

alex

Do not read this.
edit just noticed the above press release..

I highly doubt plastic people would skimp on the sound

Last edited:

outraygeous

i dont want to listen to music like im in a big studio

i want to feel relentless bass in a dark dingy room!

but will have to wait and see (hear)

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Since when were studios bass-free environments? They're probably just saying the rig sounds tighter. I never really subscribed to the whole 'plastics have the best sound system in london' thing anyway. A lot of the time it sounded muddy to me. Lets hope the new stuff will provide a more precise sound.

rubberdingyrapids

i always thought it was a bit too clean and clear. which is better than clubs where the system cant cope with the signal and its all distorted and hurts your ears but it never seemed as overwhelmingly powerful as some made out.

massrock

The bass was never totally crushing, but clear is powerful because you are hearing the music. And it could get f'in loud. I think a good part of it is to do with the room being well set up as well.

I do hope they haven't messed up the layout...

mms

sometimes
Since when were studios bass-free environments? They're probably just saying the rig sounds tighter. I never really subscribed to the whole 'plastics have the best sound system in london' thing anyway. A lot of the time it sounded muddy to me. Lets hope the new stuff will provide a more precise sound.

hmm its different to alot of systems that reproduce sound in a really cut glass way, in that you don't feel pain when you hear it loud. Not sure if muddy is the word though.
i think djs will prefer a change the decks etc, as there is a delay when you play there between the monitors and decks. The decks used to be in the top right hand corner ages ago.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Yeah, I always thought the hype about the PP system was a bit OTT. It could be a bit hard on the ears from the mids and highs and you never quite felt the bass in your chest. Compared with, say, the system at Corsica where, the one time I've been, there was a feelling that the bass made your trousers flap while the high end was present without being over harsh. Also, I've spent too long getting annoyed at PP because I'm getting jostled out of the areas where the sound is actually good by people squeezing forwards into nonexistant gaps.

Last edited:

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
I have never been yet so based on that alone I can guarantee its all gonna be shit and not half as good as it used to be...

BareBones

wheezy
i thought the bass in there was well heavy when i first started going to fwd, but when i've been more recently with more djs using cds etc it's been a lot more toppy and a bit piercing at times. but once the room fills up with bodies it's fine.

nomos

Administrator
I was only there once but it was summer 2005 - youngsta set, loefah tunes like midnight, half empty dancefloor, etc. - and the bass was breathing me. No way for me to know if things have changed since, but i was with 5-6 people and we all said the same thing. It was crushing sound. I've never felt anything like it since.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
hmm its different to alot of systems that reproduce sound in a really cut glass way, in that you don't feel pain when you hear it loud
I take it you've never witnessed theo p messing with that hipass then?
Not sure if muddy is the word though.
maybe not, I just meant that it doesn't sound as clear to me as a lot of people make out. Peep this http://www.burntprogress.com/cdr/features/interview-ade-fakile. Was in the comments section of the Fact article. Sounds promising.