Actress / Nail the cross

Local Authority

bitch city
I've heard he tends to be pretty reliable. He did apologise on twitter but I don't know what that means.

Something must of happened for him not to show though, it was a full live show which would of cost a lot. All of the equipment was on stage for a good 2 hours, until Laurel Halo came on. I don't think Actress is dick enough to pull a stunt like that.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
He certainly doesn't come across as a dick in interviews.

Ach, glad it was a good night, gutted I missed it. Pity Laurel Halo didn't come across so well. She had a concert with Kuedo recently that I was sad to miss too (by virtue of it being in Manchester)

It was a great night, Cooly G was astounding. Before the night I never gave her a chance but what she played off the new album was amazing. Hyperdub are returning to form this year.

Laurel Halo was a mild disappointment, although I suspect that was down to the Koko system. Scratcha DVA always divides my opinion, I didn't stick around to hear him live but his set was decent. Kode9 and Rashad & Spinn absolutely killed it. Rashad & Spinn even bought on a friend who danced on stage. Overall a really good night.

Only upset was Actress going AWOL and no one actually mentioning it until after he was meant to play. Which left us confused as to why Kode9 carried on playing old Burial songs for an extended 45 minutes or so.

Numbers

Anyone knows which track this is?

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

connect_icut

I've heard he tends to be pretty reliable. He did apologise on twitter but I don't know what that means.
Something must of happened for him not to show though, it was a full live show which would of cost a lot. All of the equipment was on stage for a good 2 hours, until Laurel Halo came on. I don't think Actress is dick enough to pull a stunt like that.

He was supposed to play at the Decibel Festival in Seattle this weekend but he was dropped from the bill at the last minute because he didn't have a visa! Glad I got to see him in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago (it was great!)

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
Do you ever have a period where you find it hard to emotionally connect with music, either through personal listening habits at the time or an inability to find music that you like?

I've had that for the past 6/7 months now, mostly going to clubs and listening to music that reminded me of that. I think this album will reverse that trend.

And did it?

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Thoughts on the new album anyone?

I'm still getting to grips with it but to me it almost sounds like RIP part two. It's got the same hazy fuzzy vibe and a mix of ambient/soundtrack style bits and weirdo club music. I really like it

Also, did anyone splash out on the box set?

rubberdingyrapids

tempted by the box set but nah. read a review of the album in the wire and it seemed like this one is his 'dark' and 'difficult' album (ie not easy to like, maybe a bit boring, and very grey). but i hope thats not really true cos i fucking loved RIP. if its amazing i might splash out.

jimitheexploder

I'm still getting to grips with it, first impressions are pretty good but I don't feel like I've got a handle on it yet. Really love Corner, Rims, Don't, Rap so far. Sounds more like Hazeyville than RIP to me, maybe sits in the middle of those too in sound but slightly closer to Hazyville even if its a little more bleached out.

you

I love it, "contagious" sounds like dread leaden witch house from 2011. "Rims" has a lovely, 90s warp hip hop vibe.. as does Birdcage but with added funk.

I adore this LP.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
tempted by the box set but nah. read a review of the album in the wire and it seemed like this one is his 'dark' and 'difficult' album (ie not easy to like, maybe a bit boring, and very grey). but i hope thats not really true cos i fucking loved RIP. if its amazing i might splash out.

I think that review was a bit wide of the mark. The album is fairly moody (it is Actress after all) but I'd say it's no more dark and difficult than Splazsh or RIP

griftert

Not really feeling the new Actress, but then I wasn't really into RIP either. Whoever said on here that the album sounds like one of those flash games where you just get a grid that plays a sequence that's always in tune, this sounds like an extension of that again.

Something a bit unsatisfyingly amateurish about this supposed master.
He suits colourful music compared to greyscale I think, and all his recent work has been thus.

griftert

I love it, "contagious" sounds like dread leaden witch house from 2011. "Rims" has a lovely, 90s warp hip hop vibe.. as does Birdcage but with added funk.

I adore this LP.

It's nothing to do with the album, but it's funny how something can have a retro vibe evocative of three years ago nowadays :D

Leo

i respect actress but find i hardly ever actually listen to his albums. i have them all but couldn't name a tune, not sure what it is with him. i convince myself i should like it, and on a certain level i do, but i very rarely have a desire to hear it.

rubberdingyrapids

i think theres something lacking/wanting about RIP, but it also lets me think of it as kind of just a blank space - most of the tracks sound unfurnished/unfinished, like hes not telling you to react to them, which is something i like, that blankness (without being cold). but i can see how that could sound amateur. i dont mind that too much though, except when it seems like he has a great starting idea (eg the first song on RIP) that just goes no further than that initial starting idea. thinking of him as a 'master' is wrong i think, hes more of a rough draft kind of artist. he makes music thats often pretty under developed. its just that a lot of it is more 'delicate' so people seem to elevate him to a higher platform. doesnt hurt that hes excellent at conceptualising his music too.

im still yet to hear hazville tbh, and i liked RIP before i liked splazsh. are his 'thriller' alias songs like purple splazsh? (one of my favourite things of his)

jimitheexploder

The Thriller tracks are on more of a funky sample tip yeah. They sound like tracks for Splazsh on the whole or at least ideas that ended up becoming Splazsh, maybe with less obscured samples, Hubble which was on one of the 12"s ended up being the first track on Splazsh.

griftert

Thriller and Purple Splazsh are similar and his best things yeah. Think one of the Thriller 12s might be Lukid as well.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I liked all of his work for the initial five seconds and then I decided it was really fucking lazy, and really fucking boring.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I liked all of his work for the initial five seconds and then I decided it was really fucking lazy, and really fucking boring.

I do like some of his tracks a lot but I was listening to ''Spalzsh'' at work today in an attempt to reconnect with him as a producer and I do find it a bit middling. Perhaps its the hype vs. the music that ruins it a bit for me. I felt/feel the same way about Burial. And Zomby, for that matter.