News of the World phone hacking scandal

crackerjack

the details she leaked

seems like a scapegoat tbh. they've used the met corruption scandal to get rid of someone who was denouncing internal decisions and challenging her superiors.

Easy to make this stuff look important and a worthwhile contribution to debate, but she crossed the line, which is - DON'T ASK FOR CASH. The minute you do it's corruption, not whistleblowing.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah and it seems clear cut. And what was she whistleblowing about? Too much police time being wasted on a massive scandal that cuts to the heart of the political class - let's worry instead about invisible people who might want to blow us up if they exist which they don't.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
Easy to make this stuff look important and a worthwhile contribution to debate, but she crossed the line, which is - DON'T ASK FOR CASH. The minute you do it's corruption, not whistleblowing.

yeah undeniably. at the point i made that post it was the prosecution alleging she'd asked for payment.

Yeah and it seems clear cut. And what was she whistleblowing about? Too much police time being wasted on a massive scandal that cuts to the heart of the political class - let's worry instead about invisible people who might want to blow us up if they exist which they don't.

to be fair she ran the 'National Terrorist Financial Investigation Unit'. even if you think the terrorist threat to britain is largely fabricated (?) you can't deny that terrorist groups do exist and that cutting off their funding streams is probably a good idea.

but I'm not really familiar with the unit or their work so maybe the investigation into phone hacking should have taken precedence. I suppose it all hinges on whether these claims are true:

The problem police have is that the offences committed are probably not criminal but summary offences which only have a six-month prosecution period, which has now been used up. Therefore no charges can be brought. Another factor to do with any charges is that if the messages were listened to after the owner of the phone had accessed the messages the case is civil.

/

most of the coverage of the Andrew Mitchell 'scandal' strikes me as requiring a pretty close relationship between police + journalists (leaked 'log' etc) to still be the norm....?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"but I'm not really familiar with the unit or their work so maybe the investigation into phone hacking should have taken precedence"
Well, who knows which is most important but I do think that the phone hacking one is definitely important - it's part of a battle for who runs the country in a sense and though it's obviously not defeated the bad guys it has done them some pretty serious damage. It's not some stupid investigation into something pointless which seems to be what she is claiming to have been her rationale.

crackerjack

This is astonishing. Seems the Tory judge is the Linda Tripp of the Huhne affair. Is this why she got arrested a few months back?

Britain’s most prominent black judge conspired with a Sunday newspaper to bring down the Cabinet minister Chris Huhne, a court was told yesterday.
Constance Briscoe was feeding information to The Mail on Sunday about an incident in 2003 when Huhne pressured his wife Vicky Pryce into taking his speeding penalty points, the jury was told.
Ms Briscoe also passed on to the newspaper details about text messages sent from Huhne’s teenage son, Peter, to his father. When this was reported, police raided the Pryce family home in South London and seized the phone. Shortly after the story broke that Huhne had persuaded “someone” to take his penalty points, Ms Briscoe was invited for a drink with MoS journalists. Andrew Alderson, a freelance for the paper, wrote to Dave Dillon, the news editor: “We can both take her out for a ‘farewell to Huhne drink’ when he bows to the inevitable in the next few days. As we know, Constance is quite partial to a glass or two.”
Southwark Crown Court also heard that in December 2010, Ms Briscoe wrote to Mr Alderson asking if the paper was ready to publish the story about Huhne’s penalty points. She wrote: “Are we set for blast-off this weekend?” During the police investigation into Huhne and Ms Pryce, which broke in The Sunday Times in May 2011, police recovered phone and e-mail data between Ms Briscoe and the Mail on Sunday. One e-mail from Mr Alderson to Mr Dillon said Ms Briscoe was “determined to go for the kill” against Huhne.
The revelations emerged during the third day of Ms Pryce’s trial for perverting the course of justice by accepting her husband’s penalty points in 2003. The court has heard that Ms Briscoe was told in 2003 about the incident.
Huhne, who resigned his Cabinet post in February 2012 after being charged with perverting the course of justice, finally pleaded guilty on Monday. Ms Pryce denies the charge, claiming marital coercion.
Ms Pryce, who has admitted telling The Sunday Times that Huhne had persuaded her to take the points, said that she “wished she could turn the clock back”. She added: “I was ashamed and upset about being involved.” Andrew Edis, QC, for the prosecution, said to Ms Pryce that “putting the story” in the public domain had had a catastrophic effect on her family.
Ms Pryce and Huhne, who separated in 2010 after he confessed to an affair with his aide Carina Trimingham, have three grown-up children.
The trial continues.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Seems as though part of that story is missing though somehow. Was she (Briscoe) mates with the Huhnes or what? How did she know about the switcheroo? Why was she so keen to see him go down?
ps Did anyone else notice that changing the person who got the points was a total waste of time cos Huhne lost his licence anyway a couple of weeks later after getting busted talking on his phone while driving? So he went to jail and ruined his career for nothing. Oh dear.

crackerjack

But still, why is she so keen to fuck him over?

Unclear. Indie implied she was mad cos he'd got one over The Law. Of course she may well be responsible for sending her mate down, too, but the lady's not shy and perhaps that meant nothing next to the chance to play Machiavelli and dine out for free on the Daily Mail.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
So she was good enough friends with them for them to tell her about the cheat but not close enough to forbear from sending them to jail... maybe they had a falling out. Strange story all round anyway.

sufi

lala
it's unavailable for me too - i get the same spurious 451 error message - is that just a uk thing?

Leo

it's unavailable for me too - i get the same spurious 451 error message - is that just a uk thing?

Hmm...I wonder if it's not legal to have it viewable in the UK? The article, subtly entitled "Did Rebekah Brooks F^%k Rupert Murdoch and His Son Lachlan", concludes with this:

Update: We just received this email from Brooks' attorneys:

Dear Ms Tiku

I act for Mrs Rebekah Brooks in her forthcoming trial before the Central Criminal Court.

I have today had my attention drawn to a piece on your website which is appearing now in the UK. The piece contains a number of false and scurrilous accusations. No prior notice was provided to me by you of an intention to publish this piece.

I have this evening referred the matter to the Attorney-General of England and Wales as publication of the piece of this nature in the UK before a trial constitutes the serious criminal offence of Contempt of Court. The matter has also been referred to the Crown Prosecution Service and the Trial Judge. No publication of any material that might prejudice a trial is allowed in the UK and the offence is punishable with a substantial sentence of imprisonment.

Please ensure and confirm that the piece is to removed immediately in order to mitigate any damage already done.

Yours sincerely,
Angus McBride

Would hate to get Dissensus in trouble by copying/pasting.

sufi

lala
heh, dissensus vs the dirty digger

the 6 year affair with coulson was on the news this evening, tho no mention of anyone else she may have F^%ked (apart from her husbands).
there's another article on gawker that also refers to the bizarre love oblong (hexagon?) though, & is still available in uk