Hip Hop '11

BareBones

wheezy
equestrian dro covere is deep. .

i was going about this pages ago. i wouldn't normally say something like this but it's probably the only time i'm gonna be first about anything on this thread so i'm gonna allow myself to be smug for a moment. anyway yeah it's a good mixtape but the cover just kills it.

daddek

i have inner city griots from FF - some of what ive heard is a bit over animated/frisky in that sort of cutesy early 90s way (boundaries is them being pretty laid back) but i still like it. thats also prob cos ive listened to too many comatose thug rap guys. im going to find their first album now.

well in p.e.a.c.e. they (freestyle fellowship) also had a slight southern gangsta element, but it was very much in the background. except for this great 666ish track . peace did some more overt south g stuff later but it was bit iffy

daddek

hes quite good on this tho

Tony Yayo is one of my fav rapper of recent years.. (if i really cherry pick his output). he's often got great taste in production, and often partners with more out-there dudes, people like lil b & danny brown. plus i can never quite believe that he's as mean as he makes out, despite the g talk he somehow sounds like a nice chap.

luka

i was going about this pages ago. i wouldn't normally say something like this but it's probably the only time i'm gonna be first about anything on this thread so i'm gonna allow myself to be smug for a moment. anyway yeah it's a good mixtape but the cover just kills it.

haha i always shamlssly say things like this dont i so in this instance i must humbly prostrate myself before you. i should hav paid attention when you said it origningally.

luka

daddek, if you are evere bored and have nothing better to do can you do th cherry picking for me and prsent m with a fw of yayos finest moments. i cant pretend to hav followed his career. dont worry if you cant be fucked, thats understandable.

luka

if i ever find i have anything intelligent to say i will say it. the chances of that happening are slim tho.

BareBones

wheezy
also on an equestrian vibe:

tumblr_leu1ikMDOT1qdr0b4o1_500.jpg

(taken from http://magicalrappers.tumblr.com/ )

daddek

daddek, if you are evere bored and have nothing better to do can you do th cherry picking for me and prsent m with a fw of yayos finest moments. i cant pretend to hav followed his career. dont worry if you cant be fucked, thats understandable.

sure. im sorry that i dont have time to dig out the youtube links as i must dash out in a moment
but from public enemy mixtape 2009: "gang life" "public enemy" "gang life pt2", from Hawaiian Snow mixtape w Danny Brown "So High" "On one" "OMG" "My cup" and "cyclops", from Gunpowder Guru album "King of the Pyrex" and "Southside".. these are all on rotation at mine atm. there's a gang of stuff on youtube that ive heard, hopefully i can find the links later.
Hawaiian Snow mixtape is one of my fav mixtapes this year and last for sure.
apologies for not doing the digging right now.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Pretty sure yayodancing (no jumper) is a huge yayo fan, could ask him what he thinks.

There are some priceless lines on Hawaian Snow - 'Robbing hoods. Robin hood. Russell Crowe''. He kinda holds his own against Danny Brown on ridiculous imagery alone, though I'd consider Danny by far the better rapper. ''My Life's The Shit'' ''My Cup'' and

(posted this before but its worth it)

Luka I'm gonna go through those youtube links later.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
You got a working download link for Hawaiian Snow? My brief google search only turned up expired ones, and it's not on datpiff.

Over the last few commutes I have listened to Young Dro - Equestrian Dro, Jae Millz - The Flood and Wooh Da Kid - Strap-A-Holics. The Wooh Da Kid one is the best imo, though Dro is streets ahead in the cover game. I rate quite a few of the Southside On The Track beats, but I don't know which ones because I wasn't looking at the titles. That's my incredibly poor attempt at a 'review' there for you.

daddek

lol

well hawaiian snow + *edit--- came up with *edit---- oops its wasnt given out as a free mixtape, shit. its on itunes store & spotify tho.
should say as a disclamer that yayo is not entirely un-wack. we're talking g-unit after all (never dug lloyd banks much). but I think the qualities that i find likebale about him are the same that some people are irritated by - judging by yt haterism "tony yayo, always losing".
tbh if he worked with doe pesci less often, i'd be listening less. cool combination tho.

Last edited:

luka

daddek song titles is fine. dont worry about youtube links. i know how to operate the intrent. thank you very much.
corpsey i dont know yayodancing and i dont introduce myself to people who have never heard of me ever under any circumstances.

daddek

having just skipped thru his 2005 album, the internet's "tony yayo, LOL" consensus is suddenly less of a mystery. his delivery was basically witless shouting over tacky beats. why are rappers so apathetic toward their own body of work. looks like he's re-evaluated his approach recently however, somewhat.

BareBones

wheezy
although i haven't been crazy about a lot of the main attrakionz stuff, i'm really enjoying that dope since '91 mixtape.

and yeah covert coup is wicked, liking that one a lot, especially 'the type' and 'double 07'

CrowleyHead

Basically, Yayo was always the goonish counter-point to 50's balance between him and the lyrical robotic no-personality approach of Lloyd Banks. For me as an occasional fan of Yayo, his advantage has always been his ignorance. There was one song of the mixtapes a year or two ago, where he rapped "That's a fucked up way to die. That's a fucked up way to die. Now you're dead." Hilarious.

But that said, his material under his solo-work has been increasing more and more in quality. I think because he knows he's not a commercially viable artist, he doesn't need to try and compete in a commercial rapper sense a la Banks/50, so he's remodeling himself into a sort of champion of grimy/dark NYC vibes. And it's good on him, especially when paired with more energetic characters like Brown or Uncle Murda. He's also kind of a genius for putting Lil' B on his shit and embracing the guy so openly, because it shows he's more in touch with what's going on than say 50.