Michel Houellebecq

version

I've never read him. I just know him as "that French bigot who looks like a burnt out roadie"...

7584a3b2424d413e5a0b24396aa210e7.jpg

entertainment

I read Platform some time ago. It was alright. A bit remiss as a humanist culture diagnose.

I think he thinks he's just the only one 'telling it like it is', the chosen one to expose all the conceit and vanity of everyday life in late capitalism, this unabashed honesty to some degree acting as pretext for saying provocative things to sell books.

entertainment

ha! that's right. it's easy to sneer at his acolytes, but I guess I'd like it if there were more with his disposition writing books.

if nothing else, then just for the sake of the energy it brings. he's sort of an out of fashion archetype.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think I was a little bit harsh above... he does always have some genuinely raw and abrasive writing, like that bit when he's talking about his son commiting suicide while making an omelette.... or when the love of his life gets ill and will need looking after so he promises to stick with her forever, but they both know he's lying and she kills herself the next day.

woops

is not like other people
this man was a talking point when i crossed paths with @suspended a few weeks ago. thus proving that he is a bridge between generations. of how many contemporary authors can you say that?

woops

is not like other people
I read Platform some time ago. It was alright. A bit remiss as a humanist culture diagnose.

I think he thinks he's just the only one 'telling it like it is', the chosen one to expose all the conceit and vanity of everyday life in late capitalism, this unabashed honesty to some degree acting as pretext for saying provocative things to sell books.
it's a very french tradition the "provocateur"

luka

one of a long list of people i will never read. not a writer but a man playing a writer.

woops

is not like other people
anyway he's one of a long long list of people i have read in fact i discovered him, ages ago so there @luka

Reactions: Leo