grizzleb

Another great thing I love about Screw is the parlance, it's fucking brilliant. Swangin' and leaning etc. So good, and the raps are often hilarious. Screw has a wonderful comedic element to it that isn't a novelty.

you

proper musakademixologues could maybe explain my sentiments much better but a while ago I was convinced that DJ Screw, and the whole southern lord records roster operated from the same praxis - slowin' shit down to relish cos there aint no new shit - sort of theme....v/vm vids too - there was a golden age of hip hop and that'll never happen again, but you can stretch that moment a little and maintain it's temporal perspective through sizzurp and weed - I don't know....

T

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Screw has...isn't a novelty

this is what I was trying to get with differentiating about the use of "weird". as in the weirdness is organic, not a gimmick. he kind of reminds me of lee perry - which I suppose is a facile comparison but whatever - in a lot of ways.

it's also kind of the difference between listening to something b/c it's fashionable and b/c you find it interesting on its own terms. this is a whole other topic, and I don't think it's really so terrible to listen something b/c it's fashionable (the problem is more w/how things get hyped or don't in the first place) but listening to something b/c it's au courant tends to accentuate that novelty factor over a music's intrinsic worth to the listener.

padraig (u.s.)

...Screw, and the whole southern lord records roster...

yes this is what I meant above about Screw + the entire sludge/doom/drone end of metal, not just Southern Lord (those guys I think are just waaaay more self-conscious/aware about what they're doing than most metalheads. well and musicians in general). actually it reminds me way more of something like Eyehategod, which unlike Sunn O)) or Khanate or whatever ultraslow drone thing is still very much recognizably rock music, just so slowed down + laden with feedback + dirt so as to almost feel like a parody thereof but it's deadly serious. the same way Screw took rap and made it into this thing that was still rap, but at the same wasn't and was something else. also, drugs being at the center of the music, the overwhelming Southernness of the music (I dunno if people who've never spent any time in the American South can really appreciate this aspect as well), things like that.

that bit about slowing it all down to stretch a cultural moment in time is pretty interesting, feels like a point kodwo eshun might've come up with...

you

ha yeah, I sort of waffled about it a little here
http://notesfromthevomitorium.blogspot.com/2011/04/slow-mo-capitalisms-remission.html

I sort of see it in the same way I regard conversation, at the beginning of the evening with an old friend it's easy, you blurt out what you're doing and thinking etc, you have and excess of material, but by the end of the evening, over a J, or a cigar or some port you slow it down, relish the exchanges and comments a little more..

Benny Bunter

yeah - I waffled some more
http://notesfromthevomitorium.blogspot.com/2011/07/till-world-ends-pop-at-end-of-history.html

I think I lost track a little - anyone know of some further reading around this - retromania? Or some readings of the whole sludge, drone metal genres...

nice blog!

Reynolds doesn't mention DJ Screw, drone metal etc, but he does discuss the shift to post-production in music in Retromania (particularly in regard to sampling) and makes some similar points to yours.

muser

took me a while before I got dj skrew, and the whole idea of chopped n skrewed in general. Was the Big Mo Codeine Fiend track that turned me around to it being alot of fun, hadnt caught those long freestyle tapes though they are great.

padraig (u.s.)

so i've only gotten thru 4 or 5 of the recommended tapes so far but I was just listening to In the Zone and as great 3 N' the Mornin' Part 2 undeniably is ("Sailin' da South" is that jam) I think it might be favorite so far. the screwed version of "In the Air Tonight" is nuts and then this

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LMsMoGU3SDc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

just kills it on so many levels, I wonder exactly what dude was thinking making the Queen Bee into a man's voice rapping about taking it from behind + getting the pussy licked + everything. or what did his audience I think I mean were dudes banging that Screw with diamonds up against that wood or was it a massive PAUSE a decade before that even entered the lexicon or a bit of both...there's definitely a gender theory article or ten waiting to be written right there tho (apropos of academia in rap)...Screw, codeine proponent + de facto blurrer of gender identity. it messed me up for a second anyway...plus it knocks of course or it wouldn't be worth talking about in the first place.

+ whoever said that screwed R+B just kills it was dead right

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Both of the Dre ones are great.

Here's the Full Flow mix, I jacked off youtube and mixed together all four parts in Logic cos I can't find it anywhere on the net, and thought it deserves compilation in all of its relentless glory :

http://www.mediafire.com/?bw755dkda5w7k91

If this is totally illegal mods just delete this post or whatever.

slowtrain

I was listening to that 'In the Zone' mixtape last night walking home from work and I gotta say that the long as freestyle on it is just the coolest thing I have heard in weeks.

Best thing ever, I'm off to the pharmacy this morning