Hip-Hop 2012

rubberdingyrapids

alchemist's rappers best friend 2 is better than most of the new beat scene and fly-lo related stuff going around. just saying. hell never be in the same league as the guys he idolises, for some reason i cant quite decide (his beats never fully go for the jugular maybe), but alchemist is probably one of the greatest 2nd leaguers ever.

outraygeous

alchemist's rappers best friend 2 is better than most of the new beat scene and fly-lo related stuff going around. just saying. hell never be in the same league as the guys he idolises, for some reason i cant quite decide (his beats never fully go for the jugular maybe), but alchemist is probably one of the greatest 2nd leaguers ever.

alch is there with them, those gangrene things were crazy. He is a machine on the beats

Action Bronson - Alchemist project should be nice.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah, I'm slightly inclined to argue that Alchemist will never be up there only because he wasn't there first. But I do see what you're saying. Certain beats, though -

Ah shit you already know.

Gunplay - Bogota is tremendous. ''Fuck Shit In My Life'' (verse 1 + hook) = candidate for best thing in rap this year, alongside "Cartoons and Cereal" and "I Swear To God" by Rick Rawse.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I listened to that Gunplay whilst buying 6 green peppers and some freezer bags in my local Tesco superstore yesterday. It made it much better. It's an amazing tape.

luka

What’s Wayne’s vibe like in the studio? Wayne’s a studio genius, to be real. I probably learned the bulk of what I know from him. He doesn’t know exactly what it is that I’m doing on Pro Tools, technically, but he’s been the studio so much that [it's natural]. If he looks at his waveform he’ll know what word it is. And I’m not gonna lie, I sit at Pro Tools all day and I can kinda give you a basic idea of where a word is but he’ll know exactly. He’ll point at the screen and say “that’s where I said ‘soul’.” And he just knows what he wants. Most artists leave it up to the engineer. Wayne’s gonna come out and tell you, “put flange on this, make this part do that.” He’s one of the only people I know that really works like that, that’ll really be on you and trying to get the songs done. We’ll hit the studio at about 11[PM] and we’ll be there until 11[AM] the next day. Everyday. And this is a man who really doesn’t have to go to the studio everyday. He’s already done enough. He’s working like he’s a new artist.

With Wayne I was only a recording engineer [initially]. I mixed “Steady Mobbin” with Gucci and a few other songs but it really wasn’t about mixing. It was about recording. But that’s one thing that I learned from Wayne. He’s the one that got me into mixing, because he would sit there for hours and work. We would would work so hard on a song that his vocals were basically mixed [already] before we even sent it out for a mix. The only thing I didn’t have was the multitrack. I could play you the original copy of his vocals and they’d sound just as good as what you ended up hearing, because we worked so hard on them already.

Read more: http://www.thefader.com/2012/04/02/beat-construction-ky-engineering/#ixzz1qyOaIjo4

rubberdingyrapids

the gunplay tape is great but it seems too short. his whole vibe is ridiculously good and hardcore regardless, but i need more. the bronson tape has its moments but hes so derivative its silly. i enjoy it cos i like supreme clientele era ghostface a lot and dont mind someone doing a good impersonation, but he reminds me of a lot of these new blog hyped rappers, i dont get a strong sense of identity/confidence from them. that track dreamer is hard though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Action Bronson looks so much like one of my friends it's uncanny. OK, any two big guys with a ginger beard and baseball cap are gonna look slightly similar but they've got the same eyes and features underneath it all. Very odd. Though only for me I guess.

stephenk

bronson also reminds me of, have you seen the louis theroux killadelphia special? the drug lord who has like goats and a cow and shit in the middle of philadelphia...

DannyL

Wild Horses
Action Bronson looks so much like one of my friends it's uncanny. OK, any two big guys with a ginger beard and baseball cap are gonna look slightly similar but they've got the same eyes and features underneath it all. Very odd. Though only for me I guess.

And for me! Though I hadn't really noticed the similarity until you said. Bronson is considerably more chunky though.

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
Been listening to the Riff Raff tape with all the tracks on posted here - fuck, it's good! I thought not having the videos would detract from him but he's a fucking great rapper, and the beats are killer.

CrowleyHead

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LNiDConfh-4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So, Chicago is actually really fucking good right now. Keef, obviously. King Louie (if you're into that), Chris Mille (who I can name 5 people who pay attention to, seriously underrated, and featured above), Durk (who's gotten posted before me). They're really starting to swell into a movement.

stephenk

yeah, i love that chris mille track
definitely seems like the sound of the year so far
i like king louie a bit, but i really love that video of him in the car. i'm not sure what he's listening to but if that's one of his unreleased ones then i'm really looking forward to his lp
i'm behind keef and durk, really like some dj kenn (what a story!) instrumentals too.
there's a mass of other guys, i've been listening to a lot of random tracks since i subscribed to dgainz (DGaines1234) on youtube
oh and this is very old and popular already but i just heard it recently

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BQKgNq9UoJE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>