Benny Bunter

no probs, please let me know which ones you like.

I think the afrobeats thing might look like a fad now to the casual observer, especially after the lack of a big follow up hit to Oliver Twist (or much UK press coverage after Dan Hancox's Guardian article). But I've been finding more than enough great stuff to sustain me throughout the year, Ball J, Krynkman and Killbeats having been particularly prolific producers - most of the stuff in my list are by one of them.

Might have underrated this track a bit actually, pure fire and probably my most played song of 2012

benw

when i've got a bit of time tomorrow going to give that list a proper once over benny, cheers!

before having seen it - favourites from me for this year: bum bum timaya, olu maintain - nawti, jjc african skank, azonto, sarkodie - you go kill me. no doubt a bit of a bate selection but looking forward to digging a bit deeper!

Benny Bunter

before having seen it - favourites from me for this year: bum bum timaya, olu maintain - nawti, jjc african skank, azonto, sarkodie - you go kill me. no doubt a bit of a bate selection but looking forward to digging a bit deeper!

nah they're all great songs, would have included bum bum and NAWTi but I kept the list Ghana only. Not that I don't like Naija stuff like Tiwa Savage, Wizkid, D'Banj too of course but I haven't really dug so deep. After NAWTi I think this was my favourite Naija song I've heard this year.

crofton

It's a great list Benny and helped me to ID several tunes I recently got on CD that didn't come with a tracklist. Among them:

Keche - Aluguntugui
Keche - Sokode
EL - Kaalu
Fuse ODG - Antenna

Will hopefully be playing a bunch of these at Saturday's Everyday Hustle night ...

In the new year I'll do another mix including some of the recent afrobeats stuff I've got.

Thanks!

kwaku

Benny, that list is great, thanks for sharing. I just came back from Sierra Leone where, amidst all the Ghanian and Nigerian songs, this fun Steady Bongo track was on constant rotation everywhere.

kwaku

I'm loving this at the moment, certainly sounds like a UK take on Afrobeats, almost like those early Roska/Uncle Bakongo bits. I think Skob has my favourite voice of all the UK guys too, just so goddamn wiry.

Benny Bunter

I'm loving this at the moment, certainly sounds like a UK take on Afrobeats, almost like those early Roska/Uncle Bakongo bits. I think Skob has my favourite voice of all the UK guys too, just so goddamn wiry.

nice one kwaku, thats new to me that one, cool beat. Do you know much about the UK based guys making this stuff? I like Fuse ODG, apparently they've got an album out which is supposed to be good. And 'Antenna' has now been spruced up with a remix, a proper video and a guest slot from...Wyclef Jean!

Also, this one is produced by Ball J, but the singers from London I think.
http://www.vustv.com/4ZhCfCP0-t07w

London definitely looms large in the imagination of the African artists, lost count of the number of tunes that refer to it. Heres just a few.

that last one is jokes :D

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Ball J Beats Volume 2

DOWNLOAD

STREAM

Click here to see it on Mixcloud

1. Obrekuo ft. Praye - Ayifuro
2. Torgbe ft. akc4 - School Girl
3. Praye - 2012
4. 2Blows - Medi
5. GreenField ft. EL - Carry dey go
6. Bluebox ft. Bottlez - Spedede
7. Dompe Sope - Fyne Boy
8. Diary Ft King Ayisoba - Come see for Ghana
9. Nana Tee ft. Stay J - Mr Dross
10. Rocky Jigga - Nana Akua
11. Nhyiraba Kojo ft. Ball J & Screw Face - Ayalolo
12. Blaq Jee - Grugye
13. Konfi ft Dobbie - Tekkie
14. Mr kash ft. Joe B & Nii Funny - Nkwan Nko
15. Jousack ft. Joe B- Kiss ya girl
16. Fifi Selah ft. Stoneboy - Survival
17. 2Blows ft. Awal & Joe B - To Wo Bo
18. Nana Tee ft. Old Sodja - If you are an African
19. Kweku - Pressure

luka

i like how carmen turns up once every 6 months with a link to something unidentifiable untraceable and amazing and then disappears again.

kwaku

DOWNLOAD
http://www.mediafire.com/?dss5o846pti7csj

STREAM

1. Obrekuo ft. Praye - Ayifuro
2. Torgbe ft. akc4 - School Girl
3. Praye - 2012
4. 2Blows - Medi
5. GreenField ft. EL - Carry dey go
6. Bluebox ft. Bottlez - Spedede
7. Dompe Sope - Fyne Boy
8. Diary Ft King Ayisoba - Come see for Ghana
9. Nana Tee ft. Stay J - Mr Dross
10. Rocky Jigga - Nana Akua
11. Nhyiraba Kojo ft. Ball J & Screw Face - Ayalolo
12. Blaq Jee - Grugye
13. Konfi ft Dobbie - Tekkie
14. Mr kash ft. Joe B & Nii Funny - Nkwan Nko
15. Jousack ft. Joe B- Kiss ya girl
16. Fifi Selah ft. Stoneboy - Survival
17. 2Blows ft. Awal & Joe B - To Wo Bo
18. Nana Tee ft. Old Sodja - If you are an African
19. Kweku - Pressure

This looks great benny, have downloaded tonight.

Nice piece on Ball J by Akwaaba's Benjamin Lebrave you might be interested in:

http://www.thisisafrica.me/music/de...s-(Africa's-beatmakers):-Ghana's-Ball-J-Beats

kwaku

loving this one at the moment by criss waddle

incidentally, he's also playing at the ghana independence party at indigo o2 next week which looks ridiculously good!

Benny Bunter

This looks great benny, have downloaded tonight.

Nice piece on Ball J by Akwaaba's Benjamin Lebrave you might be interested in:

http://www.thisisafrica.me/music/de...s-(Africa's-beatmakers):-Ghana's-Ball-J-Beats

yeah that guys written a few good things, this one about Krynkman was quite a relevation for me to see how many hits he'd been behind. http://www.thefader.com/2012/06/27/lungu-lungu-mystery-of-the-fisherman-beat-maker/

Him and Ball J are amazing producers.

Great new Ball J production out this week