Fuck Valentine's Day

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Last night I had a steak dinner (by myself) with half a bottle of Vacqueyra and a spliff, then rewatched some Game Of Thrones. Livin' the dream!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Last night I had a steak dinner (by myself) with half a bottle of Vacqueyra and a spliff, then rewatched some Game Of Thrones. Livin' the dream!

sounds good.

i think valentine's is fine if it's just fun, but in relationships where something is actually riding on it (ie where someone could end up genuinely hurt because it doesn't go like they thought it would), then that's a failure of communication in the relationship as a whole.

You should be confident that someone likes you without them 'proving' it through buying you stuff (or being told by society to buy you stuff, more accurately), anything else is vaguely hysterical (and i've certainly been there, done that). I would say the same about buying Xmas presents for a boyfriend/girlfriend But if it's just an occasion to go out and do something nice, then fine.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I liked the fact that we were the only same sex couple in a very working class Italian restaurant of maybe 80 covers, bibs, hundreds of waiters, tablecloths, menus with little rose and hearts stickers on them.

They didn't offer me the "free balloon and red rose for the lady to take home" though which I thought was sad, but the guys didn't know quite how to handle us.

And we didn't get Thats Amore, I think it was the owner's daughter singing. She did quite a good Al Green cover which got applause, and she looked surprised.

It was fab.

luka

WAS THE WAITER A CHEERFUL GEEZER WITH A RECEDING HAIRLINE AND A PONY TAIL? IF NOT ASK FOR YOUR MONEY BACK.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Thing is though, the standard anti-commercial line is "oh you don't have to buy stuff - just do something romantic like cook a nice meal". But we do that all the time anyway! It kind of assumes that you live on KFC most of the year and only cook on 'special' occasions.

But anyway, it's far more romantic to do nice stuff off the cuff, 'just because', rather than on the one sanctioned Official Romance Day. And of course there are birthdays and anniversaries, which are not off-the-cuff but are at least personal to you and your partner.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
WAS THE WAITER A CHEERFUL GEEZER WITH A RECEDING HAIRLINE AND A PONY TAIL? IF NOT ASK FOR YOUR MONEY BACK.

Enormous phallic pepper mills are also de-rigeur for trad Italian places. When a man and a woman are eating, the waiter has to ostentatiously grind his pepper onto the woman's meal while smirking at the bloke. It's a tradition, or an old charter, or something.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound

receding hairline and hairy wrists, no ponytail. he properly spoke in itanglish though so he gets let off for not having the ponytail thing.

"bordello portion! big! yes!".

I'm like, mate, you've been living in London for longer than I've been alive.

oh and his pepper mill was huge but he didn't know which way to look.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It also sounds a little like the synopsis of a quirkily heartwarming teen rom-com with an indie-rock soundtrack of the sort that would be discussed in excoriating terms on Dissensus...

(sorry bandshell! yeah, it's harsh...hope things start looking up for you soon)

Last edited:

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
I read The Guardian, made some soup, played Batman: Arkham City and went to bed. I also emailed the council cos our recycling bin has vanished into thin air. Hope your situation can be resolved Bandshell, I've never fancied a lesbian but I imagine it would be confusing/frustrating

slowtrain

I am in love with my best friend who is also a lesbian so I tried to keep myself busy. I think if I'd stayed at home yesterday I would have been very miserable.

meanwhile, my brother bullied my grandma into letting him and his gf go to her house by the beach and went off on some sort of sex odyssey.

Yes I am in the same situation.

Me and her spent last night ranting about girls we have known and loved and then watched English kids shows.

I will make pancakes.

Local Authority

bitch city
I spent Valentine's quite unceremoniously. After spending 3 hours trying to get my girlfriend off ebay I went to the pub with 4 other girls instead.

What was interesting though, it seemed like lonely hearts in there. Two guys sitting at almost every occupied table. Never known the pub to be popular with the gays, in fact its normally frequented by the typical lads.

Maybe I'm missing out on something.

petergunn

plywood violin
Enormous phallic pepper mills are also de-rigeur for trad Italian places. When a man and a woman are eating, the waiter has to ostentatiously grind his pepper onto the woman's meal while smirking at the bloke. It's a tradition, or an old charter, or something.