Amerie "1 Thing"

mos dan

fact music
strange to see this thread now :) I was just pulling out some of my older records, cuz the promoters asked me to do an indie hip-hop bit in my set, and I was revisiting this blend that I try to pull off every once in a while... The thing is i do find the original vocals a bit too screechy, but that beat is plain amazing and it works well layering EL-P's Step Father Factory vocals over it ;)

can you up that blend? if you can be bothered. it sounds amusing!

mos dan

fact music
so here it is...

http://urbanplexus.net/mp3/Amerie El-P blend.mp3

very rough attempt at it... I think it works pretty well... a couple of rough spots towards the end though...

nice! cheers for doing that. i forget that el-p is actually quite good on the mic, if you can get past the fact he's also kind of irritating. it's an odd paradox for me.

but the blend is an interesting answer to a question i've always pondered: what would it sound like if def jux style hiphop interacted with this kind of lush and percussive, forward-thinking rnb? i mean, are there any freestyles of can ox over timbaland beats? mr lif over ryan leslie? not that i know of..

urbanite

subnoto
nice! cheers for doing that. i forget that el-p is actually quite good on the mic, if you can get past the fact he's also kind of irritating. it's an odd paradox for me.

but the blend is an interesting answer to a question i've always pondered: what would it sound like if def jux style hiphop interacted with this kind of lush and percussive, forward-thinking rnb? i mean, are there any freestyles of can ox over timbaland beats? mr lif over ryan leslie? not that i know of..

Hehehe... his voice can be a bit grating, doesn't help that it's quite pitched up for the blend to work... Hardly as irritating as DoseOne I would imagine ;)

They did flirt with making this space age funk stuff on a couple of releases, kinda upbeat danceable almost pop tunes. Just thinking about it there was the Jukie Skate Rock tune, a lot of bits on the Bazooka Tooth album by Aesop, that SA Smash is probably the closest to it and more in general the stuff that Camu Tao did, although there are very few proper releases from him. Also that Perceptionists 12" - Party Hard had very danceable tunes on it.

Haha, funnily enough http://www.myspace.com/theperceptionists , the first track in the player is a live version of Medical Aid over Drop It Like It's Hot :)

benjybars

village elder.
Had been meaning to post about Beyonce's last song, Get Me Bodied. I think it's even weirder than the above, at least as a candidate for a single.

Similar handclapping rhythms, some swooping fx, otherwise it's ALL VOCALS. I guess there's a tuned bass drum, but otherwise all melodic and harmonic stuff is singing ... and the track keeps switching about so it's not exactly a catchy sing along thing in the slightest. Makes me think most of old New Orleans stuff like 'Iko Iko' and the kind of skipping songs Malcolm McLaren lifted in 'Double Dutch'... and I guess other sparse R&B tracks like Lumidee's 'Never Leave You (Uh Oh)'.

I don't like it, but also find it intriguing enough that I go back to it over and over to try to get what's up.

what!?!??! how can u not like this??? it's AMAZING!

this thread>>>>>>

michael

Bring out the vacuum
^ Ha, mainly just completely over Beyonce's vocals, which surely makes it impossible to like that. I do like the contrast when she suddenly goes into soul mode about half way through, but only in a "yes, this is good" kind of dry appreciation way.

It doesn't make me want to self-harm like that one with Shakira. :rolleyes:

Is a Beyonce song where she doesn't sing constantly like a married bachelor or something, i.e. a logical impossibility?

Funny seeing negative press about this Sasha Fierce pseudonym she's adopting for her next album... I mean, sure, it's a shit name, but I guess most on here are used to musicians who have a million fronts / personae / stage names / whatever, whereas the mainstream press seems to think it's all too zany / pretentious.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
^ Single Ladies. Can't get it in New Zealand (anymore) either.

But as usual, a million different people have uploaded it. Have a search...

hint

party record with a siren
what tune is this?

won't load on uk youtube for some reason...

It's her new single - "Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)".

Written / produced by the same guys behind "Umbrella" I think.

Often gets abbreviated to the clunky "SL (PAROI)".

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
When I used to do a hip-hop night in Toronto, during my sets I would drop a blend of this same instrumental and Dizzee Rascal's Fix Up Look Sharp.

Also sounds awesome over this beat. This beat is just awesome.

mos dan

fact music
single ladies is so so awesome!

yep, clocked up about 20 listens this morning so far :)

it's the layered handclaps.

has anyone written a proper feminist critique of beyonce's career/music/vids/etc? i mean even that one vid above, dancing in those heels.. idk where to start lol. *emails melissa bradshaw*

nomos

Administrator
Beyonce is smaking it at the moment, i don't care.
And this is wild..

Single Ladies - Beyonce ft. Buju Banton

Was a bit hmmm first time round because the timing seemed a bit screwy compared to the original but then it clicked.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
several years late but - who else is a fan of Murderbot's jungle (not D) refix of "1 Thing" which is totally fantastic...Murderbot being one of the only new school junglists who can still make tunes that are kinda slinky & sexy but still ruff...& "1 Thing" of course being quite a junglistic pop tune to begin with...

wise

bare BARE BONES
why has no-one mentioned Beyonce - Green Light?

It's so GOOD!

Great Robert Palmer - Addicted to love piss take video too, very sexy!

wise

bare BARE BONES
several years late but - who else is a fan of Murderbot's jungle (not D) refix of "1 Thing" which is totally fantastic...Murderbot being one of the only new school junglists who can still make tunes that are kinda slinky & sexy but still ruff...& "1 Thing" of course being quite a junglistic pop tune to begin with...

Haven't heard this, I used to play a TC boot of 1 thing (when he was still doing Dillinja ripoffs)
Thought it was pretty good at the time but haven't heard it for an age

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Haven't heard this, I used to play a TC boot of 1 thing (when he was still doing Dillinja ripoffs)
Thought it was pretty good at the time but haven't heard it for an age

yeah I've heard that - or at least I've heard a latter era Dillinja sounding "1 Thing" which I presume is the TC remix...I'm no fan of latter (shite) Dillinja to say nothing of 2nd rate knockoffs but that one's alright actually...perhaps cos the original lends itself so well to jungle/D refixes, what with all that jittery synocopation...

doesn't really touch Murderbot's version tho which is in the finest "Fugees Or Not", "Say I'm Your #1", etc tradition of junglizing pop music...one of the few newer junglists I rate...he's got another great tune that's essentially a remix of "Regulators" with a dose of UGK tossed in as well...