Albums of the year 2012

version

"Music itself is going to become like running water or electricity... So it's like, just take advantage of these last few years because none of this is ever going to happen again. You'd better be prepared for doing a lot of touring because that's really the only unique situation that's going to be left. It's terribly exciting. But on the other hand it doesn't matter if you think it's exciting or not; it's what's going to happen.''

-- Bowie (2002)

luka

He made one really good song. It's called sound and vision. The rest goes in the bin.

Leo

I know dissensus hates guitars but "diamond dogs" and "Aladdin sane" are pretty great albums. I also like most of "station to station" and "low", and parts of "lodger" and "scary monsters".

Leo

As often happens, lots of the stuff I listened to the most this year wasn't new. But of the new stuff...

2012 albums I enjoyed:
X-TG -- Desertshore/The Final Report (partly for the music, partly because it's a beautifully packaged tribute to Sleazy)
Liars -- WIXIW
Jam City -- Classic Curves (lots of tracks that don't sound quite right, which i kind of dig)
Bass Clef -- Reeling Skullways
Chromatics -- Kill for Love
LHF -- Keepers of the Light
The 2 Bears -- Be Strong (their Rinse shows too...yeah, kind of lame I know but just find them really enjoyable and fun to listen to)
Andy Stott -- Luxury Problems (more interesting and listenable than his previous two)
(Would love to include the Ruff Sqwad comp but sticking with new releases.)

2012 singles/EPs i enjoyed:
Swindle -- Do the Jazz, Pineapple
Blawan-- He His She She (mental, what do you even call this shit?)
Fatima Al Qadiri -- Genre Specific Xperiments and Desert Strike EPs (awesome in its fakeness)
Rollo Jean -- San Tropez, Cellar of Love

well this is embarrassing! I probably still stand by about 20-30% of these: X-TG, Liars, bass clef. and I've always had a soft spot for hot chip (I know, right?), which still carries over to Joe Goddard's houseier 2 bears side project.

linebaugh

and not just for the frankenstein mash of styles, its also just a shitty break beat, you would think Bowie would be able to recruit someone who knew what he was doing