Albums of the year 2012

linebaugh

no label is getting a rapper into this without willingness on both ends
jeffery

luka

a) I doubt that's true. We all do things we dont want to do for work.
b) that's not the point I was making. I don't care about their autonomy and personal desires.

Leo

expensive designer labels are just the next step in bling, showing off how successful you are, how you roll.

linebaugh

a) I doubt that's true. We all do things we dont want to do for work.
b) that's not the point I was making. I don't care about their autonomy and personal desires.

The point I was making is I'm not so sure stylists are making all that drastic a change in what rappers are wearing right now, especially in regards to street wear. But yes I do see what I think your point to be.

version

there were always tons of options, but you had to spend hard-earned money to buy physical objects like vinyl and cassettes in order experience and enjoy those options. you had to weed through and be discerning, but that doesn't compare to having instant free access on youtube and spotify to nearly everything ever created.
True, but I don't think slapping some new stuff you think's okay on vinyl and making you work for it would convince you it was any better. There must be more to it than "I've paid for it now, so I have to like it".

linebaugh

Ive grown to like albums more than I probably would because they just happened to be of the small, mostly random, collection of CD's permanently in my car. I think that's in the mix.

Reactions: sus

sus

it's like arranged marriage

sometimes, being forced to co-exist with something is the surest way to come to love it

Leo

True, but I don't think slapping some new stuff you think's okay on vinyl and making you work for it would convince you it was any better. There must be more to it than "I've paid for it now, so I have to like it".

but some of those vinyl albums grew on me over time, whereas with the endless free buffet, we don't give anything the chance to grow on us. if it doesn't connect on first listen, we usually cast it aside and move on.

version

I think the last thing that grew on me was Prince and that was partly because we had that massive thread where we spent a month discussing him.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That is a good point, it's been a while since I made a concerted effort to listen to an album multiple times. Last one I remember replaying about four times was Nick Drake "Pink Moon".

version

It's become something to have on in the background. You put music on whilst doing things.
It's happening with film too though. It's only really books and games which you can't leave running like that. You're either reading/playing them or you're not.

Leo

It's become something to have on in the background. You put music on whilst doing things.

I'd say at least half, if not more, of my music listening is background to doing things: cooking, eating, cleaning, working. it's not that you aren't paying attention to it, but it's fulfilling a role that's different from when you're just sitting in front of a turntable playing records. certain types of music might not work in the background setting, but some albums are great in that context.

also, to be clear about my other post, I also bought plenty of albums back in the day that never grew on me and I eventually sold.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
To sit and just listen to music is a concept from another era. Those listening bars all popped up as a response to this. The first time I did it in ages was when Amethyst Decievers came on and swept me away the other day, prompting me to post it in the Coil thread. A full 8 minutes, mostly with my eyes closed. Sober as a nun.

Music is a kind of magic when it works

version

There's the influence of the waveform/duration being displayed on modern platforms and software too. You can see the structure of the tune and how long it will last and it colours your listening.