Albums of the year 2012

luka

Simons thread about the sensation of muck isnt' just limited to the second hand record stores. the muck contaminates all of music too. music the grubby commodity. you stop wanting to put it on. it becomes this nasty, cheap, chemical scented teenage perfume.

Leo

i agree that it's the internet that's fucked it up. it sounds tacky and lazy but it's true

it's a buffet table with an overabundance of choices. initial glee, followed by FOMO because you can only eat so much, which leads to an underappreciation of what's on your plate, if not a general loss of appetite all together.

luka

there's something to be said for the notion that we have successfully, and inadvertently, deconditioned ourselves, so that the old stimuli, the old trick of manipulation, cease to work.

luka

that the entire history of recorded music has been a deconditioning programme. to carefully break these circuits

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
it's a buffet table with an overabundance of choices. initial glee, followed by FOMO because you can only eat so much, which leads to an underappreciation of what's on your plate, if not a general loss of appetite all together.

And they keep loading it with more and more delicious looking plates. Never ending

version

I think there's more to it than that. It wasn't just a lack of options which drew you to certain music pre-internet.

muser

I have been told on good authority that this is the important music that is currently being made by young people right now. I think you'll really like this @luka you can go on a little YouTube binge

sus

of course you have to wonder if this thread only exists 'cos we're all old after too many years of dissensus posting - but the new wave of younger american recruits don't seem to like music at all - they prefer to listen to deleuze podcasts while playing metal gear solid

wait who are my brethren?? name names!

sus

I went to uni in New York 2013-17 and all I saw was retro guitar rock. Ended up spending my time in music blogs bitching about it. "Scuzzy and sincere," a whole generation abandoning making their own shit for the warm glow of history

stuff like

sus

(this was when I discovered Reynolds, though I remember really hating him. I'd read all the academic texts on nostalgia he translated into more popular discourse, and realizing that—that I'd been totally beaten to the punch, that all this background theory reading I'd done in hopes of transporting it into pop music discourse he'd already done... Man was i pissed, I hate simon for at least 3 years til I found Shock & Awe and it opened my eyes)

linebaugh

I went to uni in New York 2013-17 and all I saw was retro guitar rock. Ended up spending my time in music blogs bitching about it. "Scuzzy and sincere," a whole generation abandoning making their own shit for the warm glow of history

stuff like
went to college at the same time and had the exact same experience. Its all Mac Demarco's fault. Music to date rape too. And they all called it surf rock. Surf rock!

• Haha
Reactions: sus

sus

went to college at the same time and had the exact same experience. Its all Mac Demarco's fault. Music to date rape too. And they all called it surf rock. Surf rock!

The stuff I find redeeming from the bunch is crate-digging, encyclopedic references to rock n pop's history (in a way only the internet can provide). Miserable Chillers a strong candidate for such honors. But the bland surf rock revival is just lowest common denominator