firefly

great read from you all. yesterday, i was listening to mark radford's 2012 rinse mix. the scene has travelled a long, long way in a very short time

deep tech is definitely not the music pinch is talking about, i think. i'm not sure if he's even acutely aware of the deep tech scene discussed here... he's aiming more at the ex-dubstep guys going house, no?

datwun: thanks for the machine, it's great!

vvvwwwv

think people are being a little harsh on pinch here. pretty sure its been said in this thread hes been cutting hugo massien dubs??? 'I wonder if the effect Pinch is talking about is an effect of dance music becoming so mainstream in the era of Boiler Room and Warehouse Project etc.' << this. natural when so many people are involved, with some inevitably having different tastes/aesthetics, to feel little affinity to what's going on.

@rudewhy, thanks for putting into words why going to motion over a good 4/5 years has been a weirdly alienating experience better than i ever could. and i'll take 'tech house' over faux metalheadz 'uk bass' anyday.

benjybars

village elder.
yeah i think it's clear from that interview that deep tech isn't really on Pinch's radar.. and as he says himself he's getting on a bit now and isn't all that clued up about what's going on in clubs etc. i enjoyed the interview.

ok - really bait questions from someone in their 30s who's just had a baby and will probably never go raving again: is there any overlap between the jackin crowd and the deep tech crowd? is jackin still even a thing? are non-shufflers allowed on the dance floor at deep tech nights?!

datwun

ok - really bait questions from someone in their 30s who's just had a baby and will probably never go raving again: is there any overlap between the jackin crowd and the deep tech crowd? is jackin still even a thing? are non-shufflers allowed on the dance floor at deep tech nights?!

Yeah man, you can rave at any age, Mark Radford's practically the king of the scene and he's 40 with kids!!

Jackin self-desolved into 'house & bass' which at one point referred to 'jackin without the bait samples' and now referrs to nothing and everything lol. When I played at 02:31 in August there were a couple of deep tech bits (apart from my set which was pretty much exclusively this stuff), a lot of garagey housey bits, some old jackin bangers, and basically the sense of a scene with absolutely no sonic direction whatsoever. That said the vibez in Birmingham on a low key, off week event with no headliner were still miles above those at the massive Audio Rehab show at MoS, though the music at the latter was transcendentally good while the music at the former was functional rave fodder. Brummys are better people innit.

Lots of people shuffling at 02:31 as well, though the levels were far, far lower than in London lol. I'd say there's some overlap in fan base between Jackin and deep tech in terms of '17-21 year olds who just wanna get fucked and listen to house music' but deep tech extends into a big road following which jackin never had. MoS had a lot of tourists and students, but a number of the deep tech things I've been to have had majority black audiences, whereas in Birmingham I'd say you're talking more 80-20, 90-10 white-black. Though there are nuff videos of 16 year olds shuffling on instagram and I gave my best efforts into chatting up two fit French 18 year olds at Rehab lolol overall I'd say the average age of deep tech raves is a good 4-5-6 years older than jackin raves because of all the old ravers that the house scene has brought back into the fold.

Beyond the fact that this current deep tech/house wave is making a big difference in changing some people's attitudes to gay people for the better (the vauxhall connection, the fact that it's house music), socially the most exciting thing for me about this scene is how it's breaking down age barriers in really kind of remarkable ways....

Firefly/ Tentative Andy: No problem! Perch clued me into that one, and it's the first Jack n Danny tune I really rated!! The bass reminds me of Funkystepz' Fuller of all things..

Last edited:

trilliam

It's just more of the old man attitude "I already know all there is to know about house", therefore paying vague attention to it and assuming it all sounds the same, isn't it?

truth

i think there's something to be said in the differences between how the dubstep community converted to house and the grime community

i.e. the rough perhaps ameaturish aesthetic in the deep tech scene opposed to the highly polished and savvy take by guys like ramadanman, scuba etc

with the dubstep guys there was more kind of, intelligent awareness, not that the grime guys don't have the same, not that say one scene is more switched on in the other but i feel the dubstep guys were much more aware of formula, i.e. what to do not what do and how it ties in with critical reception and how the most "forward thinking" house is supposed to sound i.e. the appreciation of the berlin guys, villalobos etc

i think the beauty of house is how at a first glance it does seem like a big amorphous blob, i agree with its if u wanna say lowest common denominator credentials, on first impression there is no concept behind it or ideology etc, it's just extremely accessible dance music hence the ravers rudewhy refers to, pilled up students, lads etc are flocking to it in their droves

cocoon, dirtybird, hot creations - these are three labels that sometimes inhabit the same zones but uno, it's like saying digital mystikz, skull candy and [insert dubstep label] are the same, it's not true, they may be of the same genre but the sound is distinctly different

at the end of the day deep tech is "Just house", its house with the london pulse but it's house, and i think that to say terms like "just house" like it's a bad thing shows the prejudice from the jump

a lot of the tunes posted in here say from the 60 page mark onwards, people are asking for tune ids on american and european tunes, yeah it's because they fit in with this music but if deep tech didn't exist these tunes still would

but like im saying the beauty of house is if you approach it with the same kind of reverence, respect and keen attitude you might have for jungle/hardcore whatever it unravels itself, and it is a very big universe with lots of differences,

as i said in an earlier post a lot of people have had different entry points to house and depending on what it is it's gonna colour your perception i.e. hearing a couple of house tunes in a joy orbison set on boiler room, raving with your bedrins at warehouse project or eastern electrics, or being a southport vet and going ibiza to get your mind blown musically not in a drug related way

like rudewhy is saying there are a million sub genres/micro cultures out there and if you can see house beyond being just house you'll find plenty of them there

also c/s the clearing dancefloors point, trying to make music radical as opposed to it happening organically, like blackdown saying "Putting snares and claps in unusual places", that seemed to be the MO with dubstep when it interacted with house

neway im rambling, hitting siesta today so will make a post when i come back but im sure it'll just be it was hard in so many words

whytea

To me this self-consciously 'experimental' instrumental grime/130 stuff that was recently being heralded as the next step forward (while ironically being entirely comprised of rehashed ideas from Eski/Grime given a bit of avant-garde polishing) was just too self-consciously directed towards a cognoscenti audience. It clears dancefloors. This is seen as a badge of honour in some respects cos it just shows that its ahead of the curve or whatever, but I really wonder if that is the case or if its just that these tunes are fundamentally not that good. Well, maybe I'm being unfair or that's just not my thing or whatever, but looking at the dancefloor at Frequency I know where I'd rather be.

@rudewhy, thanks for putting into words why going to motion over a good 4/5 years has been a weirdly alienating experience better than i ever could. and i'll take 'tech house' over faux metalheadz 'uk bass' anyday.

i think there's something to be said in the differences between how the dubstep community converted to house and the grime community

i.e. the rough perhaps ameaturish aesthetic in the deep tech scene opposed to the highly polished and savvy take by guys like ramadanman, scuba etc

with the dubstep guys there was more kind of, intelligent awareness, not that the grime guys don't have the same, not that say one scene is more switched on in the other but i feel the dubstep guys were much more aware of formula, i.e. what to do not what do and how it ties in with critical reception and how the most "forward thinking" house is supposed to sound i.e. the appreciation of the berlin guys, villalobos etc

Fully agree with what's being said here, particularly trilliams point about the raw, sometimes amateurish sounds present in both Grime and Deep Tech, which links back this very good point made by @Corpsey a few pages back...

This is sort of teetering on the edge of amateurish mess but landing in the quirky banger box ultimately. Sort of relates to the conversation I was reading today in the Funky thread about how lower production standards opens the doors for more interesting ideas than a Geekazoids only policy.

datwun

Agree with Trilliam that there's a knee jerk anti house prejudice which shuts doors as all prejudices do. But I reckon a certain skeptisism or equivocation re: house is actually one of the things that makes UK music unique. I mean, all dance music comes from house, and UK dance scenes have periodically dipped into US and Euro house for inspiration, but they've also always involved a movement away from those inspirations as well.

'House' in the the widest sense of 4x4 dance music which isn't techno is probably the biggest genre or cluster of genres in dance music and like a lot of genres, the majority is bad (just like, spend time on beatport for evidence). I'd say more bad, tepid and uninspiring music has been made on account of /too much/ respect for house, or at least too much respect for certain times and eras of house (Chicago 80s, New York/New Jersey 90s etc. - even though there was of course loads of amazing music from those eras) than has been made on account of brushing house off as boring.

I feel the spectre of house as something sophisticated, smooth and boring is actually a really useful one in terms of keeping producers interesting when they're making house.

trilliam

ye there is tons of shit on beatport, when i think of house i think of house (tech, deep, soulful etc) and techno, where as trance, edm/big room r something different

agree about the aping of chicago, detroit

here's a comment from that RA article that summarises dubstep attitudes to house

"House ruined a lot of innovative music in the UK. thats not a diss to house music. but as soon as that become popular all the UK's heritage went out the window. Nice to see people trying to adapt but still innovate."

the last line in particular shows how people can make such sweeping statements whilst being totally clueless

this comment as well as a good one

"Always this endless talk about cutting edge, innovation and so on. Sometimes producers would benefit from chilling out a bit and taking their time developing a more personal sound."

one thing ill never get though, this country fell in love with house in the early eighties/nineties, the amount of shit thats been written, filmed, crystallised, it's like where did all the love go

the darkness and deepness present in deep tech is of course present in a lot of house, here's a set by georgia girl, she's one of the first london djs i started checking for, used to go b2b with dominique danielle after radford on a friday

she dont play deep tech and she doesnt really need to, first 15-20 minutes of this is as dark and groovy as anything

https://soundcloud.com/eatmyb3ats/gg-034

banshee

the fact that this current deep tech/house wave is making a big difference in changing some people's attitudes to gay people for the better (the vauxhall connection, the fact that it's house music)

I've noticed this too, social progression beats musical progression anyway right lol

banshee

truth

v true

at the end of the day deep tech is "Just house", its house with the london pulse but it's house, and i think that to say terms like "just house" like it's a bad thing shows the prejudice from the jump

I've used that phrase but I mean it as a criticism of the use of the phrase by people to dismiss deep tech. not as a criticism of general house itself as music. Only speaking for myself but same is probly true for most people here?...

I can get into general or 'just house' w/e such as certain Hot Creations stuff etc. as much as anyone. Whats wack is when its overly and self-conciously retro, as a tribute to the past and obv never as good. I don't think deep tech is retro at all tho, & certainly not in that way.

also, that phrase 'just house' usually comes up in convos if your trying to tell someone 'theres this new thing' but they say 'well its just house'... those same people often still love the music as well as other house, just are hesitant to proclaim it as some wild new form, which no ones saying it is really (in the sense that jungle was for instance)

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Ironically, the anti-pinch sentiments here represent a collision of two longstanding Dissensus prejudices: against Dubstep and against House.

I think house is bucked against in certain sections of the UK scene because it came to represent the Mainstream during the 90s, with scenes like Jungle and 2-Step e.g. seeming to define themselves in opposition to the baseline simplicity of 4x4 beats. Certainly, Ive always found house nights to be comparatively pleasant atmospherically, and comparatively boring musically, as compared to DNB / Dubstep / grime etc. nights. At least until I reached Frequency.

Of course all this is just personal taste converted into prejudice. If someone thinks Move D is a better DJ than DJ Q, e.g. who am I to tell them they're wrong? Some people love to get in that groove of a minimal house or techno tune for hours and hours (I do too if I'm on some good pills). I prefer music that hits hard and makes people will out, personally. I've got a lot of repressed anger in me, maybe that's why?

The thing I object to nowadays is the rhetoric you get from proponents of "deep" music, writing off stuff that isn't dark or atmospheric as inferior, and also rating stuff that just isn't all that exciting because it ticks these "deep" boxes. I see again I'm heading into personal taste really but then this is music not science...

Anyway I wanted to say that the discussion in the last few pages has been really interesting and it made me proud to be on dissensus even tho it can be frustrating sometimes. Also just realised I missed Mark Radford's show tonight. :(

trilliam

talking about music can be great, sometimes

why i signed up

/

just getting back from siesta, dunno what to say really

NATO

To me this self-consciously 'experimental' instrumental grime/130 stuff that was recently being heralded as the next step forward (while ironically being entirely comprised of rehashed ideas from Eski/Grime given a bit of avant-garde polishing) was just too self-consciously directed towards a cognoscenti audience. It clears dancefloors. This is seen as a badge of honour in some respects cos it just shows that its ahead of the curve or whatever, but I really wonder if that is the case or if its just that these tunes are fundamentally not that good. Well, maybe I'm being unfair or that's just not my thing or whatever, but looking at the dancefloor at Frequency I know where I'd rather be.

This anti-new grime hate is getting dull. As if it's an either/or thing... So many sweeping assumptions being made trying to second guess producer's backgrounds, class, race etc, it's complete and utter bullshit. One of the worst tendencies of this forum is to romanticise the black, working class london life, and to hold it up as some banner of purity. So some people made sweeping, dismissive comments about deep/tech...let's do the same about other types of music without a hint of irony. It's perfectly ok to like both and there is absolutely no reason why they sit in opposition to each other here.

datwun

Obviously wanna hear about the ugly parts lol.

got to say the vibe at all the deep tech raves I've been to has always been... ravey. Saw a scuffle at that party me and u went to back last year, and yeah, the crowd's been more road than parties in other scenes I've been to, but can't say I've ever felt out of place or at all unsafe at any of the ones Ive been to. Maybe I'm just going to the wrong ones lol