Rolling travel thread

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Unfortunately I can't recall the name, and of course it's possible it's not there anymore, but I think a wander up to that side of town is well worth it anyways. On the left hand side when coming from the centre of town, about ten mins' walk. as I recall.

There are also quite a lot of Goan-style restaurants - didn't get to try any, but I assume they're pretty decent.

We just spent most of the time wandering around the Barrio Alto, Alfama and other fairly central areas, and a few daytrips along the coast

Benny Bunter

Unfortunately I can't recall the name, and of course it's possible it's not there anymore, but I think a wander up to that side of town is well worth it anyways. On the left hand side when coming from the centre of town, about ten mins' walk. as I recall.

cool, theres a club called music box that i fancy going to near there so I'll have a look.

Leo

Oh...wish i'd seen this earlier, probably too late at this point but...

Went to Portugal in 2008 for our honeymoon, so some of the stuff we did was a bit of a splurge. Lisbon is cool, still slightly scruffy and cheaper than other places in Europe. Enjoyed a cool restaurant called Galeto, no tables/all counters, open 24 hours I think, go at lunch or late night. Not much else to do in the area but worth a visit.

Found a cool record store in Barrio Alto call Materia Prima http://www.materiaprima.pt/+++/, small place, lots of vinyl, lots of experimental stuff. Also have a store in Porto.

Make sure to eat grilled sardines, watch out for the bacalhau (can be good but we had a few REALLY high-sodium dishes).

We avoided the south coast (Algarve) beach area, made a full circle: Lisbon-up the Atlantic coast to Porto-west and then south along the Spanish border to tiny fortress towns like Marvao, Monsaraz and Almeida (http://www.golisbon.com/portugal/cities/marvao.html, http://www.golisbon.com/portugal/cities/monsaraz.html, population just a few hundred people each) that were very cool, not much to do there except eat/drink/relax.

Sintra was really nice, a beautiful small town near the ocean.

If driving in rural areas, particularly in the Douro region, beware of crazy locals who drink vino at lunchtime and them speed down narrow country roads.

Last edited:

Leo

after a few days of visiting the relatives around northampton, we're heading east to norfolk area for five days. we've booked a few places to stay in small seaside towns but any suggestions on towns to visit -- seaside and otherwise -- things to do, etc. are appreciated. i don't expect there's anything in the way of record shops in the area, plus my wife would probably kill me if i dragged her to one out there.

thanks.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Two disclaimers here: a) I've not actually been and b) it's in Suffolk, not Norfolk*, but I bet the St. Peter's Brewery is well worth a visit. It's based in a mediaeval hall, you can eat there (they might even have accommodation) and their beers, of which there are many, are well lush. If you're into that sort of thing. Definitely got to get there some time.

*google maps tells me it's a trifling 16 miles from Norwich

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
after a few days of visiting the relatives around northampton, we're heading east to norfolk area for five days. we've booked a few places to stay in small seaside towns but any suggestions on towns to visit -- seaside and otherwise -- things to do, etc. are appreciated. i don't expect there's anything in the way of record shops in the area, plus my wife would probably kill me if i dragged her to one out there.

thanks.

The North Norfolk coast- Wells-next-the-sea, Holcombe - is beautiful. My favourite is Burnham Ovary Staithe, which is more than just a great name. The beach is flat and goes out for miles. There's a real edge of the world feel just before the sun goes down. Also Norfolk has really good beers. There are few record shops of note.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think it should be mandatory for holidaying Dissensians to specifically avoid areas with good record shops. You're on holiday, for god's sake!