NOUGHTIES 'NUUM POLL - Dissensus top 30 garage/grime/dubstep/funky/bassline tracks

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Oi
Pow
I Luv U
Bongo Jam
One or both of the obvious cheezy MC Garage tunes - little bit of luck or do you really like it
Something else funky - African Warrior or Yellowtail, maybe

Benny Bunter

This pretty much changed my life. This was THEE moment for me when everything just fell into place and I was like "... This is the greatest thing I'll ever hear in my life."

All in one's version? Really? I agree several of the ice rink vocals have life-changing properties but I'd never have picked that one out.

All about Riko's pure fire if you ask me

ONE!
Don't ever talk 'bout gun if you ain't got one or you ain't bus' one!

TWO!
Don't ever wrap up your crew in beef you started, blood that's you!

and so on...

Benny Bunter

6) Wiley - Eskimo

wiley2.jpg

original instrumental

Roll Deep

Dizzee

Devil mix

Tubby's braindead remix

and many many more...

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
if more people had pulled their finger out in the first place, then maybe they'd have got the poll they wanted

don't look at me pal, I posted at least half a dozen voting reminders, doubt the poll would even have come off w/o benny + I continuously nagging people to vote. I wish more people had voted! it ain't a criticism of benny neither. he did all the work + he don't have any control over how people vote.

and get ta fuck w/"alleged grime classics" btw. like you'd ever say alleged jungle or 2 step classics.

seriously can't believe I'm having to defend 00s grime on dissensus of all places

padraig (u.s.)

I didn't vote based on what charted or was big on the pirates and I didn't vote for influence unless it was also good. if other people had different criteria that's fine. if they also just like 2step pop and don't like grime that's also fine, tho I will continue to think poppy two-step sounds like the 90s (that's not a knock on it tbw). I'm just bummed out that there's no terror danjah, jammer, trim, dj oddz, black ops, dexplicit, ruff sqwad. not one of them. not even dizzee unless you count his ice rink version. I can understand something like black ops, it's very tracky and austere, but how in the name of all that is good and true is there no ruff sqwad? future, anna, war, r u double f...i throw my hands up. I bet functions on the low will turn up but that's not even really a ruff sqwad tune.

it doesn't make a poll invalid or anything but I bet it would be different if elijah, slackk etc had voted. oh well...

Last edited:

huffafc

Mumler
I'm just bummed out that there's no terror danjah, jammer, trim, dj oddz, black ops, dexplicit, ruff sqwad. not one of them. not even dizzee unless you count his ice rink version.

yeah, i agree. voted for most of those artists myself, and would love to have seen people like ruff sqwad, oddz or black ops make an appearance even if not in the top ten.

i do kind of wonder whether there isn't a disconnect with the poppier end of the spectrum living in the US. at least in my own experience, circa 2003-2005 i was obsessed with wiley, dmz, more fire crew, horsepower prod. etc, etc. - and pop ukg just was not even on my radar. i don't mean i didn't like it, i mean i didn't even really have an awareness of it. this was music i found out about through blogs mostly, and reynolds articles, of course. i only got into ukg later, via el-b, darqwan, zed bias. so the pop stuff has no nostalgic pull for me, and i'm only intellectually aware of its ubiquitousness in the uk at the time.

i actually think it's an interesting reflection of the nuum's very different cultural trajectory in the US, where the audience for much of it was so small and music nerd-y that, barring the odd crossover hit, it was the underground stuff that was more present or the underground-gone-overground of dizzee and wiley.

craner

Beast of Burden
don't look at me pal, I posted at least half a dozen voting reminders, doubt the poll would even have come off w/o benny + I continuously nagging people to vote. I wish more people had voted! it ain't a criticism of benny neither. he did all the work + he don't have any control over how people vote.

and get ta fuck w/"alleged grime classics" btw. like you'd ever say alleged jungle or 2 step classics.

seriously can't believe I'm having to defend 00s grime on dissensus of all places

He he, stir stir.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Funny, thinking about it that DNB wasn't even considered as a category! I mean obviously many will say jungle/DNB lost it by the noughties but I'd imagine there are some fans of the techy DNB from around the turn of the century - Ed Rush and Optical, Bad Company et al...

My shortlist would look something like this - with the proviso that I'm quite stoned and hungry and didn't think about this properly. But I would have included or sought to include anything in bold I guess. My knowledge of anything except dubstep is pretty basic and none of my dubstep picks would surprise anyone but... may as well post this now!

FUNKY

D Malice – Gabryelle Refix
D Malice - Reign
Ill Blu – Frontline

Fuzzy Logick – In The Morning
Crazy Cousinz – Inflation
Crazy Cousinz - Need U Bad RMX
- could not just have one crazy cousinz tune. Do U Mind is incredible of course but the Need U Bad RMX is so tough rhythmically but structured with pop genius (a fantastic, cheesy, breakdown/handsup) and nobody would give it a shout otherwise I suppose.

GARAGE

MJ Cole – Crazy Love
Wookie – Little Man RMX
Wookie - Scrappy
[/B]
Azzido Da Bass - Doom's Night (Timo Maas RMX) - would have been an interesting choice, a big tune and I have heard it RINSED on Garage Nation tapes from around 00-01.

GRIME

Newham Gens – Frontline
Ruff Sqwad – Xtra
Dizzee Rascal – I Luv U
Dizzee feat D Double - Give You More
Trim - The Lowdown (Fire Hydrant Riddim)
Wiley - Wot U Call It?
Mo' Fire Crew- OI!
Skepta(?) - Pulse Eskimo Riddim
Crazy Titch - Gunshot Riddim

DUBSTEP

Skream – I (Loefah RMX)
Skream - Rutten
Loefah – Mud
Coki - Haunted
Mala – Anti War Dub

Kromestar – Kalawanji
Wonder – What (Geeneus RMX) - or grime, I think this meets somewhere in the middle

luka

hello. doing a list for me is hard work because i have never bought a record in my life. i just used to listen to the radio a lot. i dont always know the names of tunes and i certainly dont know what year they came out. i WILL do one in honour and appreciation of benjy but it will take a le cos i will just have to do endless fucking about on discogs and youtube. ach!has to be bullied into doing one too.

CrowleyHead

All in one's version? Really? I agree several of the ice rink vocals have life-changing properties but I'd never have picked that one out.

It was the first of them I heard TBH. For whatever reason, the only one I got when I did my initial grime hunt on Limewire/Kazaa back in the day was that one, and while I knew OF the other versions, it wasn't until later I got to hear most of the rest.

Granted, that's probably like the least 'relevant' one out, but still.

Also, for the record, my top 10 was mostly grime, so I'm not concerned about the general results beyond the fact that the two songs that needed to be here, namely "Do Ya Mind" & "Eskimo" are in fact here. So I'm good.

padraig (u.s.)

i do kind of wonder whether there isn't a disconnect with the...living in the US

dunno about the poppier end specifically so much as a general difference in outlook. first heard BDIC in I think early 04 but at the time it was really hard to find out anything about grime if you didn't know where to look. I didn't know anyone else listening to it, didn't know about RWD or dissensus or silverdollar's blog. actually I didn't even have a computer and I lived in a squat w/no electricity so limewire dls were out even I knew what to search for. 98% of grime, all of garage (and jungle obv) I heard after the fact, out of chronological order. so I get it's different from people who were recording pirate sets every week. don't think that makes my take less valid, just different. very few people into krautrock were actually in Germany in the early 70s either.

He he, stir stir

all love ain't it, just there ain't no call to get all sniffy about "alleged" classics

rubberdingyrapids

Ignore all these bastards Benny, I think you're terrific.

i still like the poll, all moaning aside. and im excited to see what number one is. thought pulse x might get the purist vote, but now im thinking it has to be i luv u doesnt it? or pow is very likely too. not sure what dubstep tracks could be left, it would have to be something by loefah but im not sure what track exactly.

padraig (u.s.)

I voted for bullacake

still totally mystified by the lack of ruff sqwad. great melodic hooks that are still grimy and hard as fuck, charismatic MCs, the tunes hold up a decade later...I just don't get it

and how is there NOTHING from N.A.S.T.Y.? nothing at all? take you out, nasty time, cock back, destruction

padraig (u.s.)

it ain't "moaning" to have opinions, btw

I've accepted that DJ Oddz is too obscure for this poll but if you did an all-time top 10 at grime forum I strongly bet he'd be in it. strung up vip is up there w/functions on the low

rubberdingyrapids

i think this is just more of an 00s essentials poll. i love nasty and ruff sqwad but im guessing they just take 2nd place to roll deep, wiley, dizzee etc. that said, cock back should be in here as a nasty and terror danjah joint vote. wouldnt be surprised if ruff sqwad get in the top 5 for anna or pied piper - this is dissensus after all.

sometimes i think grime doesnt get purer than oddz/eastwood.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
'Xtra' is the one for me - so many iconic bars, the brilliant interplay between the mcs and the beat is sooo good.

I'd love to see a Grime top 30, wouldn't be able to contribute though since I'm pretty much ignorant when it comes to Grime.