KAN YAY OR KAN NAY? (The Kanye West Thread)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Just occurred to me that I haven't listened to one of this guys albums since college dropout

Let's do a listening club to force the issue

Week 1: The College Dropout (2004)

Kanyewest_collegedropout.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_College_Dropout

I'M EXCITED

maxresdefault%20(1).jpg

rubberdingyrapids

i actually think this new one really IS one of the greatest albums of all time (or my life at least), even with all its gaping problems

the promo version of college dropout is the best one although i cant remember what was diff about it (dont think ive heard it since it came out)

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

This beat is CRACKING.

I've skipped an album ahead. I promise I'll backtrack.

''On Late Registration, West drew inspiration from English trip hop band Portishead and collaborated with film score composer Jon Brion. The album's music blends West's primary soulful hip hop production with Brion's elaborate chamber pop orchestration, and experimentally delves into a wide array of different genres, including jazz, blues, rock, R&B, spoken word, funk, turntablism, western classical, and psychedelic soul.[2] With the presence of Brion, who conducts a twenty-piece orchestra and plays instruments individually selected by West, the album is largely orchestral in nature, brandishing a euphony of string arrangements, piano chords, brass flecks, and horn riffs among other symphonic instrumentation.[4] They also incorporated a myriad of foreign and vintage instruments not typical in popular music, let alone hip hop, such as a celesta, harpsichord, Chamberlin, CS-80 analog synthesizer, Chinese bells and berimbau, vibraphones, and marimba.[24]''

luka

I I feel embarrassed I even listened to college dropout first time around I'm definitely not revisiting. He's the worst.

luka

I've got a Facebook friend that will post a can song in 2016 and be like 'if you don't know get to know.'

luka

Sort of sad sacks that finds out about Arthur Russell and is excited when Kanye samples him six months later lol

luka

He should do one with a massive bowie sample, like about 12 bars of major tom and rap about being the black bowie from outer space

His new fashion line should be inspired by the film labyrinth starring David bowie

Last edited:

luka

Sort if person you go round his house and he tells you all about this new thing he heard about from an Australian backpacker he used to work with in recruitment called sweet chilli sauce and he makes you some southern spicy potato wedges and gives you some sweet chilli sauce with them and maybe a curly parsley garnish

luka

Sort of person who puts a Steve jobs quote on Facebook. Tries to tell you about a Ted talk.
Radio 6 music listener. Huey from fun lovin criminals.

Last edited:

luka

Trying to tell you he's gunna make a great album when he hasn't made even one classic song unless you count the camron one that he almost ruins but can't cos it's the best camron verse. Sort of person who will Google himself and appear on dissensus in a strop

Employs about 20 writers from the quietus to keep him hipped on the latest gear

Last edited: