Client Eastwood

Acid jazz for teenage veneer of sophistication

My one didn't go to much for acid jazz unless it had a bit of rap in it. Instead he hipped onto the jazz of the 60s/70s which came out on albums with acid jazz themed titles.

Various-Jazz-Baz-Fe-Fazz-Prese-513223.jpg

Last edited:

Client Eastwood

What specific 70s funk & soul reissues does he own? (Al green, Curtis Mayfield, sly stone, bill withers, earth wind and fire)

Terry Callier - What Colour is love. cos the woman on the cover is hawt and its a bit folky, he used to listen to it on a sunday night but now prefers to finish the Sunday paper that he buys but only reads the magazine, this time he will get to world news.

Benny Bunter

kid koala, pauls boutique, dr octogan, clouddead, nation of millions, stankonia, roots manuva

daydream nation, mogwai, arcade fire, teenage fanclub, neutral milk hotel, suede, the charlatans, automatic for the people, the la's, kid A, bonnie prince billy, ride, joanna newsom, daniel johnston, james, the lemonheads, wilco

timeless, new forms, modus operandi, orbital, the orb, david holmes, avalanches, squarepusher, fat of the land, bentley rhythm ace, the go team...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Female vocalist mooing/mewling/heavy breathing over dark atmospheric samplescape (all over it)

I had meant to say Portishead earlier, thanks for the reminder.

Edit: luka pipped me to it on the second page, I see.

Last edited:

trza

I was doing a google search for the skateboard, band t-shirt, and punk vinyl catalog that was stuffed between the pages of Spin Magazine back in the nineties. I couldn't find the name of the catalog, but there are some back issues of Spin on google reader for everyone to enjoy.

CrowleyHead

(Briefly threatening to swing on you old men because Beth Gibbons doesn't mewl and is a better singer than anyone else in trip-hop, but "Dummy" is an overrated hunk of shit so I let you proceed to cook and roast)

He also doesn't actually go beyond Aphex Twin and the Underworld/Leftfield side of 'electronica'. He was into Danii Minogue and didn't understand why his record store buddy would fire his ass up and get so excited for drum and bass records that all sounded exactly the same.

This guy has a lot of REM, he loves them. He's very into a certain indie songwriter rock band... American Music Club, Fatima Mansions, one of those bands. You know the type. He put them on every mix CD for a girl, and had unreasonable barometers that if they could detect how 'funny' "The Pope Mobile To Paraguay" or "The President's Test" was.

He does one song at karaoke nights that he and his friends all HATE, but because he takes the piss out of it so effectively, you can tell he really loves it. The song was a big hit when he was younger, one-hit wonder type joint. If he was american for example, it'd be Santana - "Smooth (ft. Rob Thomas)". He tries to make an ironic meme out of it with his friends and young people don't get him.

STN

sou'wester
He has a screen print of Al Pacino as scarface which he has put back up now that he is single again

Numbers

Man, this thread is depressing. Aside from my mediocre teenage taste, I greatly blame the media though. That and the festival/club managers catering to their writings: one vicious circle.

That would have taken more courage to write here some years ago.

Numbers

Terry Callier - What Colour is love. cos the woman on the cover is hawt and its a bit folky, he used to listen to it on a sunday night but now prefers to finish the Sunday paper that he buys but only reads the magazine, this time he will get to world news.

This is so on the mark, it's scary. Even if I am not 40.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Man, this thread is depressing. Aside from my mediocre teenage taste...

The thing is though, a lot of this music isn't objectively bad at all - it's just a bit 'obvious'. Cool music that you don't necessarily have to cool per se to have heard of or to own. To put it another way, hands up if you actively dislike Aphex, Velvets, Joy Division, Bowie, Talking Heads, Public Enemy or Kraftwerk?

Some of it was reasonably respectable at the time but just hasn't aged well. I expect most people replying in this thread are within a few years either side of 35, so not far off the age of the hypothetical CD-flogger, and an awful lot of this stuff dates from between the early 90s and early 00s, i.e. exactly the period when someone born in 1980 was in adolescence or at university. So there's the stuff everyone is obviously just chucking about (Morcheeba...) and then there's the stuff we actually listened to in our teens and early 20s.

Except luka, obviously, who I'm sure was somehow listening to dancehall and obscure underground rap while in utero, years or decades before it was even recorded.

one vicious circle

Wasn't that the side project by mateyface out of Tool?

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Definitely going to take a picture of some of my CD collection and post to thread.

Looking at shelf 1 I can see

Acid Jazz Classics (Bonus points for being a knock-off CD I bought in Egypt in my gap yarr)
A Mixmag Giles Peterson CD
Mike Ladd- Welcome To The Afterfuture (LOL)
The Clash - London Calling
Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out CD Single
The Strokes - Is This It / Room On Fire
Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction (Never listened to it. NEVER.)
Hot Chip album
Buzzcocks - Greatest Hits
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf
P.I.L. - The Greatest Hits so far (NEVER LISTENED to it because I thought it was awful.)
Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Minor Threat - Complete Discography
Jungle Hits Vol. 1
Best of Bob Marley

So yeah, total stereotype. in my defence A) I grew up in a provincial village and the only local record shop was tiny and shit B) I were a young lad C) I actually like a lot of these CDs.

The thought of listening to the Strokes again makes me feel dead inside.

FYI Luka is a huge Finley Quaye fan and his favourite Wu Tang song is that Texas tune featuring Method Man.