mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
A successful pop act could sell ten million cd's in the nineties, a successful crossover could sell hundreds of thousands, semihip groups from this era could sell four hundred thousand and be considered failures by a major label, then they release independently to please their semi hip fans. And an independent release on a major independent could easily sell fifty thousand copies just from print hype or college radio. I would estimate there are a few hundred million cds in collection of semi-hip forty year olds today.

Record shops could do a "give back" amnesty day, like they do with knives and police stations, or guns and police stations if you're American.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
He* still can't quite decide whether Pretty Hate Machine 'actually stands up as a decent bit of pop-industrial, you know' or is an embarrassing thing to admit to owning.

(*I)

trza

246 replies and almost no dj mix cds or dance compilations, heaven forbid a mix cd that came glued to a dance music magazine.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
246 replies and almost no dj mix cds or dance compilations, heaven forbid a mix cd that came glued to a dance music magazine.

I posted the 2 Many DJs one, thought that was pretty much de rigeur. Also probably this:

220px-TheBraindanceCoincidence.jpg

Had meant to say Fischerspooner too, that one occurred to me yesterday. But would he just have the 'Emerge' single, or did he go for the whole album? Whatever it was called.

While we're on the subject, he was probably quite into electroclash, don't you think? Felix Da Housecat, Peaches, Ladytron, all that stuff. The big names.

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
He's definitely owned a remix compilation.

Label compilations from credible underground dance labels are pretty much the definition of the hipper end of semi-hipness, aren't they? It's like, I know that this is good stuff, but I really haven't got the time / money / engagement to be chasing around after individual 12s or downloads or Rinse podcasts or whatever so I'll wait for one of the more respected labels to put out a comp.

I've got plenty, obvs.

hucks

Your Message Here
Headz. Tho not Headz 2. No one bought that.

Probably a fair bit of Mo Wax tbf, as already mentioned- Unkle, Money Mark, DJ Shadow. I have all three, obv.

An ex of mine once said she wasn't embarrassed by the bits of her cd collection she was supposed to be embarrassed about like eg take that, East 17, but she was embarrassed to have fallen for the hype around Psyence Fiction. There's a lot of truth there.

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Platinum Breakz Vol 1
Compilation of Ennio Morricone filmscore excerpts.
Jeff Buckley - Grace & probably at least one Tim Buckley album off the back of that.

CrowleyHead

He would have at least one Sonic Youth album too I think - Daydream Nation maybe?

Noooo, it'd be from the 90s. Like, he tried Sonic Youth and he didn't 'get it'. So you gotta think either Dirty, Washing Machine or Experimental, Jet, Trash, Star or whatever its called.

What sort of covers/tribute album does he have though? I put my money on the Carpenters tribute.

john eden

male pale and stale

Human Traffic film soundtrack.
One of those 99p mix CDs Moving Shadow put out in 98/99.
A cover mount CD mixed by Groove Armada that came with Select or The Guardian.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Psyence Fiction was terrible, but that single with Ian Brown somehow still sounds good. Late 90s guilty pleasure.

The Best of Ninja Tune is probably the nadir of my CD collection. What was I thinking? The last days before filesharing were dark.