luka

i never get hangovers but ive got a crippling one now for some reason. ive not been myself these last few days.

• Wow
Reactions: sus

luka

just put this on for as long as i could bear it and really marvelling at how bad it is.

luka

i dont find it whimsical. i think its dierct and honest. my boomer canon has that at the top, then astral weeks, then graceland, and some bob dylans i guess

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i dont find it whimsical. i think its dierct and honest. my boomer canon has that at the top, then astral weeks, then graceland, and some bob dylans i guess

look joni is undisciplined as a vocalist. her melisma is given to unnecessary flights of fancy.

That is a strength when she's brooding on seagul, but when she tries to be more concise it lets her down.

This is how to do it. suppress the urge for histrionics whilst conveying emotion.

luka

Joni-Mitchell-2.jpg

Here's my (entirely subjective) best of Joni Mitchell playlist. I'm throwing it together by listening to all of Joni Mitchell's album in chronological order, out of the corner of my ear, at work. Needless to say, this is all being very haphazardly executed.

This is a bad idea, insofar as I can imagine a lot of her ouevre grows on you. Also it's a bad idea cos I'm getting absolutely sick of Joni Mitchell songs going round and round in my head. Nevertheless, the hero must tilt at windmills.

As can be easily seen, I rate Blue' high high high above any earlier album. I've known it for years, but it still seems to me to be absolutely stacked.

I'm onto Court and Spark and I feel I'm missing the point. Don't like the saxophone much.

I will add plentifully from Hejira when I get to it.

At the moment it's an aerial view I'm amassing but will get into the nitty gritty soon.

Set me right, or just join in with the worship.
this is an awful playlist of a man trying to lie to himself. just listen to carey on repeat and bask in genius perfection

• Haha

luka

never heard this before strangely moving hearing her do it as a hideous old crone. rubbish obviously but thats what makes it sad.

• Haha

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
allah help me but your boy brian eno made an astute observation about this. let me try and find it

Chœur Bulgare Svetoslav Obretenov – Grande Liturgie Orthodoxe Slave
Whenever I listen to this I find myself quite overwhelmed by it. There was an interest in the '70s in that Bulgarian folk singing, the kind of singing where they sing in 2nds. One of the harmonies they use a lot is a 2nd, which is a very unusual interval, and I remember that being around and there being a great album called Le Mystère Des Voix Bulgares, which is an amazing record, so I think I was aware that that part of the world had interesting music. I don't really remember how I got this one other than I bought it in France.
The softness of the male voices is like softly blown flutes. If you grow up in England with the disgusting operatic tradition we have, where the men's voices have to be so manly, it makes you violently ill [laughs]. Hearing the softness of this was so touching to me. There's one section in one of these tracks that is too amazing, where the voices that are all woven together gradually separate out so that all the voices above a certain register keep on going higher and higher and the ones below keep going lower. It ends with this incredible chasm between the voices that is just startling.