sus

i was thinking about cohen while listening to that album, they have a similar god like cadence and presence in their singing.
joni-and-leonard-300x189.jpg

“Leonard was an early influence. I remember thinking when I heard his songs for the first time that I was not worldly. My work seemed very young and naive in comparison... I wrote ‘Marcie’ and afterwards thought that it wouldn’t have happened if it hadn’t been for ‘Suzanne.'"

sus

I like Song to a Seagull her first record better than Clouds personally, if you're headed back to the shop.

"Night in the City" and "I Had a King" are just sublime. And I think "Cactus Tree" gives the whole thing away, it's the clearest statement of her oeuvre's organizing theme: the quest for freedom, and the paradoxical imprisonment of this desire.

What else did you get again, Hejira and Don Juan? Yeah those are both winners.

kid charlemagne

I like Song to a Seagull her first record better than Clouds personally, if you're headed back to the shop.

"Night in the City" and "I Had a King" are just sublime. And I think "Cactus Tree" gives the whole thing away, it's the clearest statement of her oeuvre's organizing theme: the quest for freedom, and the paradoxical imprisonment of this desire.

What else did you get again, Hejira and Don Juan? Yeah those are both winners.
i own, clouds, blue, hejira, don juan, and hissing

Reactions: sus

version

@Corpsey

Cohen clips are a rich source of 'YouTube Comments'.

@cristop5
5 months ago
When a woman is lying on a bed with you sharing your personal space asking about seduction...it's time for a demonstration

@phlooney
1 year ago
You don’t have to have Odin’s one all-seeing eye to know that those two boned.

kid charlemagne

@Corpsey

Cohen clips are a rich source of 'YouTube Comments'.

@cristop5
5 months ago
When a woman is lying on a bed with you sharing your personal space asking about seduction...it's time for a demonstration

@phlooney
1 year ago
You don’t have to have Odin’s one all-seeing eye to know that those two boned.
awful

• Haha
Reactions: sus

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm not sure if the stuff we enjoy on here qualifies as Nabokov's "poshlost" but if it does I can see why he considered it the spice of life

"Poshlust,” or in a better transliteration poshlost, has many nuances, and evidently I have not described them clearly enough in my little book on Gogol, if you think one can ask anybody if he is tempted by poshlost. Corny trash, vulgar clichés, Philistinism in all its phases, imitations of imitations, bogus profundities, crude, moronic, and dishonest pseudo-literature—these are obvious example

version

I like the title track off his last album, You Want it Darker, but he's pretty boring. Now and then I see a cool clip or hear a good line from him, but he's a bit embarrassing too. That clip of him on the bed is ridiculous, but we're not supposed to laugh at him stroking his chin, pontificating on the "psychic landscape" developed by the woman during seduction.

sus

I just like "Suzanne" and the album he did with Phil Spector. That one's really good.

luka

it's just plodding, morose, pompous, truly awful lyrics etc and most importantly my most annoying uncle loves him. 'never go home with your dick hard luke, thats what leonard cohen says'