kid charlemagne

classic joni fans jealous of dylan, just like the goddess poet herself:
“Bob is not authentic at all. He’s a plagiarist, and his name and voice are fake. Everything about Bob is a deception.”
“Musically, Dylan’s not very gifted; he’s borrowed his voice from old hillbillies. He’s got a lot of borrowed things. He’s not a great guitar player. He’s invented a character to deliver his songs … it’s a mask of sorts.”

kid charlemagne

Meanwhile Dylan, and his fans, have nothing but respect for the woman:
"Joni Mitchell had an album out called Blue. And it affected me. I couldn't get it out of my head. It just stayed in my head. When I wrote that song ["Tangled Up in Blue"], I wondered, "What's that mean?" And then I figured that it was just there, and I guess that's what happened."
“Here’s another strong-willed woman, and I mean that in the best possible way… (Coyotes are) a very vocal animal… use short barks to warn of danger…whine and whimper when they are establishing bonds. They produce high pitched barks to summon puppies and sometimes, late at night when they’re all relaxing, they sing Joni Mitchell songs."
as well as inviting her on multiple tours

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Although actually they're both like Kendrick in that a lot of people find their voices unbearably grating

version

Totally different. She played a character for fun one night. Robert Racefaker Zimmerman pretended he had Indian blood, Pocahontas style, for years.

Joni's alter-ego, who she christened "Art Nouveau", would appear on the cover of her next album, Don Juan's Reckless Daughter, released in 1977, and she would intermittently slip into this guise over the next few years.

luka

i'll never listen to any joni song that is not on blue but blue is the best thing ever.

linebaugh

Joni Mitchell worship thread and then corpse immediately goes into how she’s shit and he doesn’t like any of it but blue

linebaugh

I cant say I’ve ever really cared too much about lyrics. I used to pretend like I did when I was younger and thought I was supposed to but it really doesn’t affect wether I initially like a song or not

sus

I cant say I’ve ever really cared too much about lyrics. I used to pretend like I did when I was younger and thought I was supposed to but it really doesn’t affect wether I initially like a song or not
That's really weird. You don't listen to them unconsciously and internalize them and have them going through your head, or become conscious of a snippet, where you're like, That's really shit, or Wow, what a line and it clicks and you understand the song and

sus

i like it when paul simon says things like dont i know you from the cinematographers party. feels very grown up.
I really like the boy in the bubble and the girl on the trampoline. Too great complementary contrasting metaphors. The walled in buffered insulated. And the crazy oscillating cycles up and down.

sus

Which I think is how it works, conservatism is about stability liberalism is about dynamism which is necessarily circular unless you've mastered the exquisite science. You're risk averse or risk-seeking which means high highs and low lows. They're two approaches stemming from different levels of fragility and different levels of desire.