Artificial intelligence officially gets scary

Leo

A group of industry leaders warned on Tuesday that the artificial intelligence technology they are building may one day pose an existential threat to humanity and should be considered a societal risk on par with pandemics and nuclear wars. The open letter has been signed by more than 350 executives, researchers and engineers working in A.I.

The signatories included top executives from three of the leading A.I. companies: Sam Altman, chief executive of OpenAI; Demis Hassabis, chief executive of Google DeepMind; and Dario Amodei, chief executive of Anthropic. Geoffrey Hinton and Yoshua Bengio, two of the three researchers who won a Turing Award for their pioneering work on neural networks and are often considered “godfathers” of the modern A.I. movement, signed the statement, as did other prominent researchers in the field. (The third Turing Award winner, Yann LeCun, who leads Meta’s A.I. research efforts, had not signed as of Tuesday.)

Um, guys, aren't you the ones who are building it and letting this happen?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed

With open source stuff though, I suspect the cats out of the bag. Did you see that memo I posted which allegedly leaked from Googles AI dept?

Leo

Everything was fine until you and your lot came along with all your hocus-pocus smoke & mirrors blockchain bullshit.

ghost

sometimes a confession is actually an attempt to take credit

i don't believe any of the 'end of the world' stuff, just an attempt to regulate the little guy out of the business.

but they will eventually have stuff with powerful military usecases, and it's going straight into the heart of the pentagon. that's the real thing to worry about, if you ask me.

wild greens

See i thought Lvcci wrote it? That's not actually AI generated is it, or am i missing something

I thought this was like a parody but the reference vocal put through an AI robot voice

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
See i thought Lvcci wrote it? That's not actually AI generated is it, or am i missing something

I thought this was like a parody but the reference vocal put through an AI robot voice
Yeah I’d imagine this was a hybrid human/AI collab, but I don’t know the production details. But yeah anyway it’s still not a competition really between human and AI, but we’re starting to see glimmers of it, is what I’m saying.

wild greens

The Google "make ai music" beta is terrible the moment you go out of the three or four styles it can sort of do but not really

I hope there are some secret programmer apps better than the ones we are getting at the moment