Artificial intelligence officially gets scary

wektor

Screenshot 2022-06-13 at 12.56.45.png

This is a very fair point I think.
The next-gen neolibs will push to consider self-proclaimed sentience as valid, even if the code will say completely otherwise.
Ironically the next generation of the pro-life lobby.

wektor

The bigger the black box becomes, the more mystery it gains and magical properties are easier to assign to it.

wektor

I think you're reaching a bit with this neolib take tbh
you can already see people going very excited/paranoid, even with such minimum evidence to do so.
on the other hand you might be correct, it happens at the times of so called "major break-throughs" which turn out to be slightly less exciting than they intially seem.
and then, everything quiets down for another while.

wild greens

I don't this it is as simple an issue as left/right, it's more consciousness/worker, as AI automation inevitably begins to chip away at certain roles

A luddite coalition is more likely to take on the form that "anti-vax" did, uniting paranoia from all political spectrums. Anti-elitist, anti-globalist etc

The issue with this is that it's already quasi-embedded, much as a lot of aspects of the digital ID and supposed societal freedom already were.

wektor

Liberals will deny sentience to AIs just as they do to unborn humans?
current pro-life movement overlaps quite a lot with tinfoil hat communities, they are rather prone for becoming luddites, if anything.
current neo-liberals will overly attribute sentience to every single image generator.
roles are to swap.

mixed_biscuits

ayfkm

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
current pro-life movement overlaps quite a lot with tinfoil hat communities, they are rather prone for becoming luddites, if anything.
current neo-liberals will overly attribute sentience to every single image generator.
roles are to swap.
Don't mind @mixed_biscuits, he's the forum's token Catholic fundamentalist.

wektor

Even by dissensus fringe standards that is quite a take
I might easily be wrong - seems like a lot of neolib techies these days are more concerned with the ethics and censoring the models and it might as well be libertarians who will proclaim giving the code some autonomy, even if potentially harmful.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I might easily be wrong - seems like a lot of neolib techies these days are more concerned with the ethics and censoring the models and it might as well be libertarians who will proclaim giving the code some autonomy, even if potentially harmful.
The "tech-libertarian" (i.e. tech-fascist) position would be to declare an IQ level above which inanimate objects can legally be considered human, and below which humans can legally be considered inanimate objects.