Artificial intelligence officially gets scary

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
apps can only get better, doesn’t seem a dead end like metaverse appalling graphics, more personalised at a scale no-one really seems overtly sure of yet

wektor

I think big missed chance is they don't have any data mining involved in people using it - since the entire thing is based on text prompts/labels, you could surely improve the quality and accuracy by just getting feedback from people about what it generated

ghost

I think the question I'm more interested in is, what does it look like to have a CDJ with proper machine learning built in. Opens a lot of possibilities for how to collage or work between different material on the fly in ways that weren't possible before.

wektor

I think the question I'm more interested in is, what does it look like to have a CDJ with proper machine learning built in. Opens a lot of possibilities for how to collage or work between different material on the fly in ways that weren't possible before.
already there, telling from the audio conference ive been to last year. live source separation is all over DJ apps, turns out your phone has a chip powerful enough to do things like that

ghost

Source separation is nice but I wonder about say, rewriting lyrics in real time, or doing style transfer to make the drums in one track sound like ones from another. Or bridging multiple tracks by synthesizing space between them. A ton you can do especially if you don't quite need studio quality.

wild greens

I think both google & riffusion have been tested in very specific styles or tastes and as soon as they go away from a few narrow channels they just fail incredibly. Type in 1994 style jungle music in either and see what comes out, that music is nearly 30 years old and it doesnt have a clue. A long way off the auto-generated gear

That dj app is good. If they start implementing stuff like that functionality in a vst or DAWs direct then passing it into hands of people already making music can have a field day tbf

shakahislop

the AI 'tiktok voice' seems to be totally accepted (within the medium anyway), despite sounding pretty rough. i was surprised by that. but then i'm surprised by most of the aesthetics of the online video form, like the jagged youtube jump-cut style and so on.

tiktok, insta reels and some corners of youtube seem really ripe for automated content i think. the audiences don't care, the quality is so low anyway, and the content you see is so algorithmically decided anyway, it wouldn't feel out of place in the medium.

wektor

Source separation is nice but I wonder about say, rewriting lyrics in real time, or doing style transfer to make the drums in one track sound like ones from another. Or bridging multiple tracks by synthesizing space between them. A ton you can do especially if you don't quite need studio quality.
realtime separation->realtime transfer is definitely on its way, im sure a better tech spec could already handle it
i probably posted this like ten times on this forum but

bear in mind this is two years old now

whats fun is a lot of these work on sort of a compacted representation of audio, ie. you have a net that learns how to compress-decompress audio into maybe 16 numbers or something.
if you have two different sounds encoded into their latent representation, they are essentially points in space you can move between. ie interpolate between think about it and amen break, or subtract them from each other.
will post some demos in a bit for those interested

wektor

basically this
result_combined.png

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
if you have two different sounds encoded into their latent representation, they are essentially points in space you can move between. ie interpolate between think about it and amen break, or subtract them from each other.
will post some demos in a bit for those interested
as in vector space embeddings?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps