woops

is not like other people
but the thing is, you don't give a fuck who made these movies right? was it even people who made them? even the comedic tone seems optimized through five phases of focus group stragetizing.
it's the same as the often repeated pixar thing, that they are stories for kids with enough sly jokes to keep the adults watching, and the weird thing is it does work. they are entertaining. but there's always your inner @Dusty going, yuck.

IdleRich

IdleRich
That's correct it makes no difference who made them or wrote them
That's my point - if it makes no difference who makes it then why steal Taika Waititi? Why not leave him be to pursue his own idiosyncratic ideas in the film of indie films? It almost feels as though he was deliberately sucked into the maelstrom, not to improve the quality of the Marvel films, but to take away one of the options that might in a small way compete with them.
Cos that's what with these superdupermegacockblockbusters isn't it?
When their strategist comes into the meeting and says "If you go to the cinema on Friday and you want to see a film then 99 percent of those available are Marvel" the chief guy doesn't say what you or I would "That's great, we've got a massive market share and we're making loads of money, and there is one other film that can accommodate those who unaccountably don't love our product"
He's more likely to say "What about the other one percent? Find out what it is and crush it utterly".

IdleRich

IdleRich
Bayern Munich buying all the Dortmund team you mean
Yeah that exactly. It's one of those things where you totally understand why the player goes cos he's gonna get more money and win everything but the sport as a whole loses out hugely. At least Juventus look like they're not gonna win the league this time thank fuck.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Taika Wahiti is one of the rare examples of somebody making a big impact on a Marvel movie. His sense of humour and sensibility is all over it. Obviously it's still essentially a Marvel movie but it's pretty eccentric.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Taika Wahiti is one of the rare examples of somebody making a big impact on a Marvel movie. His sense of humour and sensibility is all over it. Obviously it's still essentially a Marvel movie but it's pretty eccentric.
You and Version said that and I'll admit it pretty much destroys my thesis.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I agree that it's a shame if talented filmmakers end up making nothing but superhero movies. Also if talented filmmakers make them better that encourages them to make more - and I sympathise with the view that there have been enough made already.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, I mean it doesn't totally destroy what I was saying. I still think it's a shame if talented idiosyncratic directors are just making another superhero film for the production line, but it does mitigate it slightly if he makes a better film than the others on the production line.

version

Quite a relief watching this Sam Raimi Spider-Man because it works to different rhythms entirely being a non MCU film.
This non MCU spider man is from 2004 and it looks utterly archaic
No different to ghostbusters or gremlins the humour is of the same ilk too. Another world. Pre 2008 iron man
Place is much more important to Raimi's Spider-Man. They're New York films. That's why they feel like Ghostbusters. The city makes its presence felt. The extras feel like proper characters. You've got the rude usher, the pizza guy, the impatient secretary, the landlord and his daughter, the buskers, the low-level criminals. They're somehow all quite memorable despite their positions in the story.

The MCU stuff doesn't have that. It doesn't really matter where it's set. One city is much the same as any other. It's just a backdrop.

luka

That's definitely part of it. It's also the lighting and colours and textures and faces

luka

And the humour is gremlins ghostbusters home alone, very crude slapstick, not this fast paced glib 'banter' that marvel runs on.

version

I think being rooted in a single location like that feels old hat in itself. NYC feels like the old world as it is and the future's global.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've actually never seen any other Sam Raimi movies except Spiderman 1 and 2. But I thought Spiderman 2 in particular was so well directed and also has the most sympathetic villain of any superhero movie.

craner

Beast of Burden
And the humour is gremlins ghostbusters home alone, very crude slapstick, not this fast paced glib 'banter' that marvel runs on.

Ghostbusters is not crude slapstick, you obviously didn't watch the film properly