sus

People always love the nostalgic, 70s-themed superhero movies. X-Men Days of Future Past. Guardians of the Galaxy. I get the appeal of a Big Chill-style soundtrack, and I suppose there are Boomer dynamics happening, but I don't fully get it.

sus

Is it just normal retro cycles / post-2000 retromania stuff or is it something specific and unique

linebaugh

You'd hate Harry potter, I think.

I'm a fan of the films, despite the terrible acting of the principle kids.

Something about them comforts me. I had a mental breakdown circa 2017 and all I could do was lie in bed watching Harry potter films in-between panic attack placating doses of diazepam.
I think its the 'world building' or w/e you call it. Everyroom is full of gadgets and movement. Stacked to the ceiling with stuff. Theres a special device for every quotidian activity. Feels very warm and alive. They also for the most part take place in gradeschool with its comforting rote procedures

version

Was The Flash the sign of doom? Or has it been coming for a while?

People have been excitedly predicting the end for years, but it does actually feel like it's coming now because the films aren't having the same impact and they're beginning to lose money.

Reactions: sus

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think its the 'world building' or w/e you call it. Everyroom is full of gadgets and movement. Stacked to the ceiling with stuff. Theres a special device for every quotidian activity. Feels very warm and alive. They also for the most part take place in gradeschool with its comforting rote procedures
Yeah, very much so - it's a world enclosed inside a world that you get to hitch a lift into, and as you say it has that structure of school life which as an adult you lack and get a little nostalgic for.

I remember that feeling when I was a kid of getting to the end of a book and being really sad that I wouldn't get to spend any more time with the characters. And then starting the book again to resurrect them.

Not something I do much nowadays except when I'm laid up in bed with depression.

Actually that's not entirely true I just don't do it with books.

linebaugh

People have been excitedly predicting the end for years, but it does actually feel like it's coming now because the films aren't having the same impact and they're beginning to lose money.
That seems right but I worry that might not matter at all. If a superhero movie flops that just means you can reboot it even sooner. You can use the fact that the last one sucked in the marketing for the new one- 'look, this time we got it right.' I noticed they did that with suicide squad movies. They made 3 of those and no one liked the first two!

sufi

lala
Is it just normal retro cycles / post-2000 retromania stuff or is it something specific and unique
marvel was always highly commercial mass market material, it just wasnt really possible to put them on film til cgi fx were up to it so this is inevitable next stage for them

version

That seems right but I worry that might not matter at all. If a superhero movie flops that just means you can reboot it even sooner. You can use the fact that the last one sucked in the marketing for the new one- 'look, this time we got it right.' I noticed they did that with suicide squad movies. They made 3 of those and no one liked the first two!

You have to keep people's attention though.

sus

"Things familiar enough I recognize/relate to them, but enchanted enough that my own life feels more meaningful in turn"

version

Yeah, very much so - it's a world enclosed inside a world that you get to hitch a lift into, and as you say it has that structure of school life which as an adult you lack and get a little nostalgic for.

I remember that feeling when I was a kid of getting to the end of a book and being really sad that I wouldn't get to spend any more time with the characters. And then starting the book again to resurrect them.

Not something I do much nowadays except when I'm laid up in bed with depression.

Actually that's not entirely true I just don't do it with books.

Corpse weeping at the end of Paradise Lost because he can't hang out with Satan.

linebaugh

You have to keep people's attention though.
Some things calcify with their audience and remain the same until they cease to be. Its why whats on the radio hasnt changed in the 20 years Ive been listening or the simpsons are still network tv.

I dont actually think that will happen to movies but I think its interesting how certain formats effectively die but continue beating in perpituity because their audience is past the point of finding something new but still has interest in consuming the medium so it self sustains

Reactions: sus

linebaugh

Like a merging of platform and content. Tom petty is 99.5 The Jug and 99.5 The Jug is where you go to listen to tom petty and it will be that way until all the tom petty fans die or for some reasons coming from much higher up radio is ended all together. And in this dystopian movie scenario, what we think of as The Movies becomes the defacto super hero platform and how all other non super hero movies are consumed looks very different than how its done now.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Corpse weeping at the end of Paradise Lost because he can't hang out with Satan.
I think if I read Ulysses again obviously it would be for the language and artistry etc but I would be pleased to be "in the company" of Bloom again, and back in Joyce's rendition of Dublin

craner

Beast of Burden
Having watched the whole thing sequentially within the space of one year my conclusion is that the MCU made sense as a self-contained modern epic right up until Endgame.

WandaVision
was an imaginative and fragile coda, Black Widow was fantastic, Loki was an entertaining cryptic puzzle for 2 or 3 episodes before imploding in a puff of brainless CGI and Hawkeye was fun, but all of this was footnotes and marginalia to what had come before.

As soon as you geared up to the creative heart of this new cycle in 2021 (Eternals, Shang-Chi, Multiverse of Madness, etc.) the whole thing shattered to pieces. It's been unwatchable since that point.