good ideas that actually ended up coming out as an unmitigated disaster

luka

it's the funk-by-numbers of most electro that makes it tedious not the machinic aspect.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
it's like there is something in sticking to your guns and just doing what you've always done you know. i am learning to give up future shock slowly and surely.

If I still want to be wowed by something that sounds totally radical ill wack on La Légende D'Eer or something like that.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
but well done Padraig, take your sceptre and crown
shiiiiiiit you know if you're throwing that gauntlet down I'm gonna have to pick it back up

luka (and whoever) avert your eyes, you've been warned

French Oi is pretty distinctive, usually melodic (clearly Blitz was big there), the bouncy bass, still pretty gruff but usually not as straightforward bludgeoning as the British

padraig (u.s.)

and that tbh is just the tip of the iceberg

there's also a great modern/revival scene, headlined by Rixe, as well as a cluster of killer bands from Brittany

these guys are fucking awesome live too, saw them at a packed warehouse here last year, one of the best shows I've been to in years

and this one my favorite bands rn in any genre, 80s French Oi and Blitz filtered thru their melodicish hardcore background. killer Negative Approach cover too.

padraig (u.s.)

now clearly w/o Sham, Slaughter + the Dogs, Rejects, Upstarts, Blitz, etc there is no Oi but for my $ the French beat yall at your own game. besides Blitz who transcend Oi.

ball's in your court bud

martin

----
You do realise that right now the UK and France are embroiled in a scallop war? You couldn't have picked a more inappropriate time to post these videos. I wouldn't be surprised if Woebot, a rabid champion of UK fishing quotas, nukes this thread. some of those are OK, though would have been better if they'd sung in English.

padraig (u.s.)

You do realise that right now the UK and France are embroiled in a scallop war?
no I can't up with all your European drama

not surprised tho have there ever been 2 countries with a longer more fucked entangled love/hate relationship

1000+ of conquering each other and ruling parts of each other and transforming each others languages and cultures and fighting and allying and no end in sight

it's like just get a room already

padraig (u.s.)

can't say I'm surprised by Woebot's vehement support of fishing quotas

fits right in with his love of Gentle Giant and all that pastoral English prog rock and flutes and whatever (I've never actually listened to Gentle Giant but I assume there are flutes)

padraig (u.s.)

if it's consolation yall still own hard rock->heavy metal, or co-own it with us anyway

the French never really got their minds around that. they're awesome at weird rock, or niche rock, but can't really just manage it straight up.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Someone mentioned scallops in the context of British vs French punk rock four posts ago and there hasn't yet been a "Never mind the scallops" gag.

smdh

Last edited:

version

can't say I'm surprised by Woebot's vehement support of fishing quotas

fits right in with his love of Gentle Giant and all that pastoral English prog rock and flutes and whatever (I've never actually listened to Gentle Giant but I assume there are flutes)
Ah, man. There's a song of theirs called Proclamation that sounds like three awful songs played at once. The only redeeming feature's the drummer's facial expressions. He appears at 1:18 and looks a bit like how I imagine luka does whilst composing a post.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Gentle giant are alright. 100X better than Rush and Genesis. haven't listened to em in 8 years tho mind.

luka you should listen to brotzmann machinegun. abolish sex!

luka

fucking hell the lads have discovered banter have they
ive listened to machine gun a lot. i like it.

luka

3rd forms greatest achievement here is that after he explained to benny b that feminism is just spoiled white women whinging about their boyfriends benny was like, sweet, thank god, what a load of my shoulders, and went back to posting tunes like a proper lad.