good ideas that actually ended up coming out as an unmitigated disaster

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
3rd forms greatest achievement here is that after he explained to benny b that feminism is just spoiled white women whinging about their boyfriends benny was like, sweet, thank god, what a load of my shoulders, and went back to posting tunes like a proper lad.

boyfriends who work in finance. traitor to the health of the species!

luka

wasnt trolling just having a giggle. sorry if it didnt seem that way and sorry youre having a bad time mate. youre a good music guy and i like having you around.

forclosure

also, witch house.

as far as im concerned Witch house is the forerunner of alot of the embarassing tasteless shit ive seen white people do as far as electronic music goes

in that they try to combine the embarassing music they liked as teens nowhere towns (goth rock,pop punk,nu metal etc) with the "cool" tasteful music that they like now (rap,garage,chopped n screwed) and its always terrible

Girl Talk has alot to answer for shitty mash up culture and people who bought "Wugazi" should have their hands cut off like in old Damascus

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
in that they try to combine the embarassing music they liked as teens nowhere towns (goth rock,pop punk,nu metal etc) with the "cool" tasteful music that they like now (rap,garage,chopped n screwed) and its always terrible
idk man that seems a reductionist view. that shit is more complicated, and multidirectional.

for one rap has a long history of being into/working with "bad" guitar music. not to mention all the many legit dudes who have gotten on with ICP over the years.

but I think you're just making assumptions about sincerity that aren't necessarily true. I remember bit about in that Noz interview someone linked a few weeks back where the interviewer mentioned growing up in iirc eastern Arkansas by Memphis where tons of white kids were heavily Slipknot + 3 6 Mafia.

I just think racially/musically it's more complicated, as well as what's cool/tasteful and what's bad/embarrassing

tho not really trying to defend witch house specifically and I agree it's firmly in the potentially good ideas (the aesthetic) gone badly wrong category (the reality)

have you ever spent time in some of those nowhere towns? the Rust Belt or wherever else

padraig (u.s.)

also all due respect FOH including goth in embarrassing music. Bela Lugosi's Dead 4ever.

if this is embarrassing then I'm proud to be a corny motherfucker.

forclosure

have you ever spent time in some of those nowhere towns? the Rust Belt or wherever else

Ive spent more time around the people who come from the UK equivalent of "the rust belt" than ive acutally been there so no not really

Although i did go to Salisbury once for a special event

forclosure

For me i feel like as much as i have tried to understand the suburbs and people friom provincial towns/rust belt i will never fully "get" the experience cause im black and grew up in a very "urban" part of London so in some ways you may aswell be talking about what its like to live under the sea.

Crowleyhead can attest to this but i tried to listen to Slipknots Iowa album once and the conclusion i came to was that while i think the album was terrible, i got something of a better understanding of the people who love that album in that it captures that anxiety of living in a small bit of nowhere where youre afriad of living the same life your parents and friends did (the fear that youre gonna grow,live and die trapped in here,boredom and how that leads to drugs etc)

Theres also the added fact that i feel alot of those people have been more weaponised and made to be martyrs of late, how that feeds into racism/xenophobia the notion that people in these places live apprently more "authentic" working class lives than those who live in cities and how the media bought the bullshit that we need to give said racists a pedastal cause of a "difference of views" or how we need to understand them but theres other people who have tackled that subject

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm from a village, satellite to a provincial market town. Now I'm trying to think what that meant for my taste.

Perhaps a taste for extremity? A counteraction of the boredom of provincial life in metal, punk, drum n bass, etc. The escapism there was in my infatuation with gangsta rap and rap in general.

Probably also a feeling that some London accents/slang terms are hilarious and quaint, at the same instant being glamorous and cooler than anybody from the provinces could hope to be.

A natural ingrained sense of belonging at the fringe?

padraig (u.s.)

just to clarify - the U.S. is too big and spread out to be a cultural hothouse like yall have. and once you get away - not even very far away - from the coasts/big cities it's like a different planet. it's surprisingly easy to forget - or just be ignorant of - that other planet when you live in a big diverse, liberal city (as flawed as those can be in their own ways). I'm originally from a liberal college town by Chicago but happen to have spent enough time hanging around in nowhere towns all over the country to not to be completely ignorant at least, and to have a halfway decent grasp on kids from those kinds of places. tbf it's also less of a cultural empathetic leap to make for me than for you.

I guess I was just arguing for the intrinsic authenticity of those kids' cultures - the taste may be bad but it's sincere. whereas what you're describing sounded more like hip arty etc types - considerably more likely to be from suburban well-off etc backgrounds - semi-ironically repurposing adolescent "bad" taste. these are generalizations still ofc which are glossing over more nuanced things.

and sure I agree about that political angle, weaponizing non-urban white working-class on a semi-mythical level, but you mostly can't blame those people for that, especially the kids. it's some cynical exploitative nonsense and it ain't new, presidential elections have been hinging on it for decades (they've been the main swing vote ever since Democrats lost white Southerners over civil rights). granted it's infuriating, has obv been worse than ever, and there's some level of complicity but man it is some classic divide + rule bullshit. otherwise you wouldn't mfers out here dog whistling Dixie every election cycle.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I guess I was just arguing for the intrinsic authenticity of those kids' cultures - the taste may be bad but it's sincere.

The epitome of crap-but-authentic small-town white working-class culture has got to be the Juggalo phenomenon, surely?

padraig (u.s.)

not just small towns tho. those guys are from a super fucked up post-industrial part of Detroit.

nowhere towns is actually a good less specific way of putting it.

there's plenty of large towns/smaller cities that could qualify.

padraig (u.s.)

but fundamentally yes

it's like the apex of that kind of like anti-cultural defiance - heshers, nu metal, etc - giving zero fucks what arbiters of taste think