here's a sentence that's in the memory box that i dont remember why i wrote it:

It's partly the ability to transgress and pervert cultural boundaries of taste through undeniable biological youth, physical beauty

boxedjoy

I mean the other thing about fashion is that when I look through eg Dazed & Confused's menswear spreads I don't ever actually imagine I'll buy a £500 t-shirt and wear it into a muddy field with nothing else but a pair of Doc Marten's like in the photoshoot. But I might keep it in my mind that longer length sleeves look good and when they finally arrive in Zara I'll buy the option with them. It's all fantasy, it's not meant to be real, and I think once you accept that - that even the rich and privileged don't really buy and wear this stuff the way it looks in publications - it's easy to not see the industry as exploitative and tasteless but as decadent entertainment, like a Marvel film loaded with special effects.

craner

Beast of Burden
I mean the other thing about fashion is that when I look through eg Dazed & Confused's menswear spreads I don't ever actually imagine I'll buy a £500 t-shirt and wear it into a muddy field with nothing else but a pair of Doc Marten's like in the photoshoot. But I might keep it in my mind that longer length sleeves look good and when they finally arrive in Zara I'll buy the option with them. It's all fantasy, it's not meant to be real, and I think once you accept that - that even the rich and privileged don't really buy and wear this stuff the way it looks in publications - it's easy to not see the industry as exploitative and tasteless but as decadent entertainment, like a Marvel film loaded with special effects.

The post-i-D fashion aesthetics of London and how it links into the industry is a thing I didn't get chance to go into, but I would've liked to. I-D has a lot of cache, to the point that models will work for nothing to get a picture in it. The prestige of one is worth a thousand catalogue jobs.

craner

Beast of Burden
The other thing about what you say is that is how it is meant to work, too. It's how the model operates. The high street and fast fashion brands copy and circulate ideas and shapes from the catwalks. It is just like the Miranda Priestly speech: a trickle down process.

It also means that, apart from intellectual property theft being rife, the democratisation of fashion is helping to kill the planet.

and also your curious and emotional reaction to the absurdity of the catwalk or the magazine is productive. the repulsions and inversions are the triggers that eventually convert to purchases, in a way these oscillations are all that matters cos its completely nihilistic

boxedjoy

I don't think fashion is completely nihilistic. Like every industry it has good and bad elements but I don't think it's fair to say that fashion imagery hasn't or can't make positive impacts on it's audience.

version

He was wearing tartan trousers. Is that fashionable? I haven't been keeping up.
7b2b50c1ecd9dfbbf01e0f2fc50154a1--plaid-suit-lady-godiva.jpg

boxedjoy

I LOVE the Met Gala too, the day after my phone is just a mess of screenshots and comments mixing adulation and bitchery.

luka

I always liked the way the way the young cockneys and West Indians and Bengalis dressed in east London in the 90s. Very sharp. This was before fashion had been invented. The fashion stuff disgusts me. Bunch of freaks. As shiels says dressing like a nonce and hoping relative youth/good looks will let you get away with it. Not into that.

luka

Anything weird I hate it. I only like normal things. Dress nicely, care about your appearance, but don't look weird in any way,