thirdform

pass the sick bucket
38) Haramiler - Camlica Yolunda.

Transformation of a maudlin meyhane/tavern classic into a storming booty psych rock monster. deadly. and with an excellent guitar (anti)solo.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
39) The Atlantics - Bombora

Of course the sonic imperial colonialism of even the most avowedly marxist music commentariat couldn't see why it was surf and not psych which was the most inventive rock music of the 60s. Eric Clapton was awful. The Stones, absolutely did not know how to rock. SGT Pepper was the worst album ever, especially with the cheap knock offs of Indian classical. But somehow, in the world of music, being into what your parents are into is lauded as a virtue, even when the tired old babyboomer construct of rebellion against the post-war ideals of your parents is lionised beyond all reason and rationality. Ignoring, of course, that this is what Marcuse should have really aimed his ire against. He was right to despise the counter-culture, wrong to claim that the proletariat had been totally subsumed into capital. the antagonism will always be there, even if we (most likely) reach planetary collapse.

Ironically enough, King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid man (unreconstructed punks take note!) was actually a step in the right direction. too bad they got overburdened with Fripp's pomp.

As for this record, everything from Gang of Four to Napalm Death can trace its lineage back to it. Check out Jim Skathis' guitar. spikey. appeals to the electric Miles lover in me.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
40) Omar Khorshid - Kariaat El Fengan

Gone too soon. one of the most underrated guitarists of the 20th century. Nile Rogers level of wizardry. astral belly dance epic. Egypt is where it is at.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
41) Elias Rahbani - Dance of Maria

Lebanon's greatest export. everyone knows this in the middle east, or some variation of it. probably in north africa as well. that's over 300000000 people. The quintessential melody of my childhood. Heard long before Floyd or the Who. smokey cafes, the entire street alight with the aroma of tobacco. hot coffee, vendors preparing fish and lamb's intestine for all the passers by and those seeking a lunch. this ain't no mcdonalds central. of course mcds existed in droves. but we all knew they were a pisstake. like a fish and chips in Brixton charging you £10. not worth it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
42) Kâmuran Akkor - tövbeler Olsun.

İstanbul Plak 9193 Turkey 1971

Orhan Gencebay cover. the best thing she did. much better than her later synthier covers, which are good but not as grooving as this. check the kanun solo at the end, try not to dance.

Also: the reggaeton connection for Wayne Marshall. dissertation at my desk in 3 weeks time chief.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
45) Selda - Karaoglan

"As you know our village has no road,
No arm to extend to the government
our troubles do not have a right or left
come, if you may have a solution to starvation."

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
46) The Coup - Dig It

Boots is an average rapper at the best of times but here he totaly nails it. political didactic music that isn't boring.

'Rhetoric flowing from the tip of my Mao Tse Tung // spitting dialectical analysis So how is this, we never had no funk Until you found out that our joints are revolutionary,'

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
47) Lil Kim - The Jump Off

The apotheosis of ho rap. this ain't Missy with her composure she's far beyond that. she's got it, and she still wants it. And best of all, she doesn't sound degraded, she sounds totally quotidian (dare i say it even resigned to the grind.) as if nothing's out of the ordinary. no real electric passion on top of one of the hookiest (and passionate) timbaland bhangra beats. What could be more revolutionary than this in pop music? the dialectic for top 40 fans.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
48) lil jon feat jadakiss - Knockin heads off.

Of course logically one should post Hey Poppy here. one of the most posthuman alien chatter basslines committed to record. but Jay-Z manages to ruin even the most far out timbaland beats. yeah, i said it. fight me. he is boring, the rapper that rock music fans always first gravitated to. as for this one, just an anti-funk tune with gloomcore synth pulses to make you void your bowels. love the use of the churchbell sample here as well. gothic. makes jadakiss sound menacing, not comedic or hardman. which is a difficult one to pull off. faint echoes of g-funk as well for those who know.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
49) Ruff Sqwad - Icecream man

rhythmelodic spitting perfection in carnate. check where it switches to a direct invocation of garage rap as well. this is london. the romanticism of grime. over one of wiley's best beats, as well.

When grime started to align itself with US hip hop is where i tend to lose interest. it's not the celebrity thing so much as we didn't have a homegrown hip hop culture in the 90s worth any salt. I don't care what anyone says, even most pre-drill road rap is utterly plodding, and well, frankly boring. who said rave music can't also be rap music? never play by the rules.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
51) Autechre - Rsdio

Sorry to disappoint Crowl but had to happen. one of the best tunes of 95. and hmmm. that rhythm. not something you heard in most so-called home listening techno at the time did you?

It's not even like the critics know the wavelength these guys are on, they just took mantronix and man parrish's machinic tendancies and injected them with a healthy dose of Rochdale paranoia.

Like, afx didn't grow up on black music. these guys did and if you let go of the rock intelligentsia hype, it becomes apparent. they don't even belong in the same bracket! just like Vatican Shadow has nothing to do with industrial techno. and I like AFX but he's a bit of a chimeric character. AE are scientists. big difference. they can get away with calling albums eps, and for that alone the critics are wrong. if you read interviews with them you'll see they are more in line with Dissensus thinking than most so-called 'idm boffins.'

but - but they're not music! well, neither was the best 80s electro, so...

As for this tune. everything is dematerialised apart from the bass drum sound. even the synth melodies don't sound like they're being played on a keyboard. signalling the death of midi. and that scraping sound just hits all my pleasure buttons in the right place. never has desolation sounded so soothing.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
52) Lords of Rap - Where Are you Coming from(Remix)

Cockney swords ina di shaolin. I have a strange on off relationship with britcore. obviously none of the intelligentsia liked it and it was pretty much extinguished by rave, but...

here's some classic chatterbox biz for u lot.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
53) Silver Bullet - 20 seconds to Comply

The alpha and omega, the daddy of well, everything we listen to in the UK. still electric.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
54) Rebel MC - Tribal Bass.

The best recontextualisation of barrington levy's classic. some days its my favourite record of all time. but there is another 91 hardcore record that just inches it above for me in this list. hip hop breaks meet fast chat in the most consummate form. no going back to pop dancehall after this if you know what's good for you.