"Emotionally Charged Electronica" & The Ineffable Sadness of Woops

woops

is not like other people
Kool Keith - Baddest MC

71. I've explained above and elsewhere why I like him but this is the best, his own production as I said which I find inspiring personally, just him doing his funniest lyrics and great chorus and wicked bassline.

woops

is not like other people
Gravediggaz - Graveyard Chamber

72. More Wu Tang related but it's Poetic from Stetsasonix, first up, that I like best about this lot. I'm not aware of any other rappers who do that sing-song style much less use it to such dramatic effect. The production is even more grinding and scary haunting than actual Wu Tang tracks. There's a lot of good tracks on this album, don't think the second was as good, though

woops

is not like other people
do you like that "psychoanalysis" album he did of all skits? not listened to that for a long time

forclosure

do you like that "psychoanalysis" album he did of all skits? not listened to that for a long time
i still think if you took Prince Paul's name off and slapped on UNKLE or any of those trip hop guys that were popular around that time people would be hailing it as one of the best albums of the 90s

woops

is not like other people
i still think if you took Prince Paul's name off and slapped on UNKLE or any of those trip hop guys that were popular around that time people would be hailing it as one of the best albums of the 90s
this stuff was big when i was a student. Dope on Plastic LPs, morcheeba sneaker pimps and that kind of total shit. Morcheeba were playing in every hall of residence i ever went to, just like lock stock was on the telly.

woops

is not like other people
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Ditch

73. I'm posting this to cross post with the indie discussion elsewhere, I think you can hear that NME music was not wet sad indie shit in 1994 there was some much better stuff going on, the drums are wicked, Jon Spencer's voice and persona is very entertaining

Last edited:

woops

is not like other people
Ennio Morricone - Le Clan des Siciliens

74. I got into this at the same time as hearing Gainsbourg back at school. Endless winding melody, sweep and scale, sound of Europe. If you get the vinyl most of the tracks are rearrangements of this theme with different moods which was a revelation to my innocent mind back then.

@DannyL

Last edited:

woops

is not like other people
Pram - El Topo

75. Already listed a Pram one, this is an instrumental which is supposedly a cover of the Jodorowsky film's music - but I've watched the film and this theme doesn't seem to appear - anyway, these seems to me a good example of the "indie" aesthetic totally transcending its confines, strings and guitar bring the toy instruments to a peak of epic soundtracks

<3 this music

craner

Beast of Burden
Ennio Morricone - Le Clan des Siciliens

74. I got into this at the same time as hearing Gainsbourg back at school. Endless winding and melody, sweep and scale, sound of Europe. If you get the vinyl most of the tracks are rearrangements of this theme with different moods which was a revelation to my innocent mind back then.

@DannyL

Exceptional choice.

woops

is not like other people
Tortoise - To Day Retrieval (Autechre Remix)

76. Here we have the electro brainiacs tackling the Chicago real instruments post rock crew just to hammer home the co-incidence of electronic experiment and guitar bands at the premillennial time and I still think this is one of Autechre's best moments. Not their impenetrable ice cold AI aesthetic, just wierd explorations of WTF good sounds.

Last edited:

woops

is not like other people
Mogwai Fear Satan (My Bloody Valentine Remix)

77. First off Mogwai are absolutely shit and I listened to Loveless the other day and I only liked a couple of the tracks, but, like the Autumn Sweater remix I posted earlier in this thread, Kevin Shields seemed to be on a mission (edit - for two remixes at least) to outdo noise, electronica and whatever strain of rock you like, all at once. As if that wasn't enough confluence, this came out on Sven Vath's trance label EyeQ!! Probably mainly because of the Surgeon mix on there too.

Listen to all 16 minutes before having an opinion

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Christmas Eve food prep covered, have to cover page 4/5 to here

This page, El Topo soundtrack is Don Cherry I think, Sicilian Clan score seconded and Satan mix by Surgeon still sounds immense

Have a chilled whatever seasonal take you do for this time of year