"Emotionally Charged Electronica" & The Ineffable Sadness of Woops

woops

is not like other people
Phoenicia - Oriaca

62. Inspired by the death of intellectual dance music thread. Well, I wouldn't consider it dance music, just listening music made of rhythms and basslines and odd percussion, and "intellectual" is just silly like the whole argument over "intelligent" music. I just consider it interesting music full of texture and unusual tones and hints of melody. Who cares if white nerds and/or anyone else does/doesn't dance around to it.

"definitely due a revival"

woops

is not like other people
Frank Bretschneider - Rand

63. Running alongside the IDM/Electronica/What is ur preferred nomenclature axis there was the Mille Plateaux thing which went from normal + boring techno on the one hand to total conceptual waste of time wank on the other but there was a middle ground and one of the best in my book is Frank Bretschneider who took the minimal synthesiser aesthetic to a very dry level but with such a stiff straight face I find it funny and also has a lot of atmosphere, so stiff it's funky as someone said in another context. He's also madly prolific in a good way but this one will do for now:

woops

is not like other people
Fennesz - Paint it Black

64. This was an iconic release in the glitch genre, and cost loads of money in Rough Trade at the time, with the advantage that it still sounds good, melodic, musical - Fennesz diluted his impact by releasing a right old load of laptop improv shit with jim O'Rourke and all that kind of stuff, last seen by me in an article in the Wall Street Journal, of all organs, so who knows what world he is living in now

woops

is not like other people
let's put the melancholy on the back burner for a bit i'll post some rap tracks i like, here's a quick interlude to bridge from the electronica stuff

woops

is not like other people
ODB - Ol' Dirty's Back feat. 12 O'clock

65. It has to be Wu Tang first but don't want to post anything too obvious so here's a more obscure one demonstrating that almost everyone on anything saying wu tang on it is wicked whether they're a known name or not. I think the difference in style with Mobb Deep is obvious here.

Last edited:

woops

is not like other people
i love the way it pulls back to that ultra horrible beat and bass for a good while at the end there. as if that's what it comes down to ultimately.

woops

is not like other people
DJ Spinna - Watch Deez

66. I'm posting this because (1) the production is incredible (2) Thirstin Howl contributes one of the most chilling and wicked verses ever. All the other stuff of his I heard was utter rubbish though, gimmicky and daft. Can anyone explain what that's about? (3) One of the better Eminem verses around as well, see my next post.

Last edited:

luka

my kiwi mates all love thirstin howl. he was a member of the lo lifes and there is a strange lo life cult in new zealand

woops

is not like other people
Eminem and Royce da 5 9 - Bad Meets Evil

66. Far and away the best track on any Eminem release, one of his best verses as well. BUT Royce da 5 9 is even better still. Why would Eminem make the best track on his album the one where the other guy is better than he is? That's another thing I've never understood.

@WebEschatology and others will have figured out what I'm into by now.

woops

is not like other people
El Da Sensei - Brothas Ain't Got It

67. I'd heard Wu Tang about 6 months before I heard this and it had that same disembodied beat that summons some kind of unidentifiable emotion, I wish there were more instrumentals like this, plus the NY delivery and wordplay that made me release realise there was something "to" this rap music stuff. Other than what I'd seen on TV and failed to relate to in any way.

Last edited:

woops

is not like other people
KMD - F*** With Your Head

68. Almost any track of this album would do. I love this double-bass production style still dirty and crackly and not over produced and great optimistic energetic attitude in the raps even when they're talking tough stuff, guns crack whatever. Evokes a great era

woops

is not like other people
Redman - Watch Yo Nuggets

69. Again there isn't a bad track on this album. Every one is absolutely wicked. I can't speak highly enough to be honest. This one stands out even so, the production is literally epic. When Redman says "aw shit... give it to me darlin" you can hear and feel him approaching. And then well he arrives. Dunno how else to put it. 11/10

I've heard that Erick Sermon gets the production credit but actually he showed Redman how to use the sampler and left him to it, and this was the result, I really hope & trust that that is true

catalog

KMD - F*** With Your Head

68. Almost any track of this album would do. I love this double-bass production style still dirty and crackly and not over produced and great optimistic energetic attitude in the raps even when they're talking tough stuff, guns crack whatever. Evokes a great era
love that one. that's doom who died recently innit.

woops

is not like other people
Busta Rhymes - Bladow!!

70. This is to show how good Busta Rhymes is even on the album tracks he never stops. Funky accordion (even though Madvillain get all the accordion credit) listen to the flow on the second verse, wicked.

By the way if you want to know what I mean about how good he is at ad libs, listen to the way he says "NOW!!!!!" at exactly 1:09 in this one I posted in the Mobb Deep thread, it must be wicked being Busta Rhymes.

I must spend more time on MS-DOS if it's this good