"Emotionally Charged Electronica" & The Ineffable Sadness of Woops

woops

is not like other people
55. Pooh Sticks - Cool in a Crisis

totally soppy and sparky scottish indie music, thread revival prompted by @suspendedreason, more mark radcliffe music, note the japan obsession with bands like this and the BMX Bandits and the carefree/sad vibes.

Reactions: sus

woops

is not like other people
56. The Pastels - Thomson Colour

This is another one from that key indie/electronica cross period, some remixes of this band by Kid Loco (!), Stereolab, MBV etc even though they are basically the most archetypal indie band ever.

woops

is not like other people
57. The Yummy Fur - Plastic Cowboy

I can't go on the Scottish indie tip without posting this lot, one of my favourite bands at the time, this still makes me smile. A very funny band

The slightly mocking eMoTionaLly charged electronica title reminded me of this mix. Pretty good, funny bits thrown in, keeps changing things up

woops

is not like other people
58. Lung Leg - Maid to Minx

The Yummy Fur's sister in another indie punk glamorous band called Lung Leg (after the cover star of Sonic Youth's Evol), which leads us in turn to...

woops

is not like other people
59. The Make Up - Walking on the Dune

...The Make Up, such a superb band - they went a bit boring after the compilation I Want Some but their first two (fake-live) albums are masterpieces to me.

woops

is not like other people
The gospel yeh-yeh sound they called it. A combination of that Early Gainsbourg sound earlier in this thread, and gospel exhortation. Great political lyrics that never get boring or preachy. A very exciting music I think

woops

is not like other people
60. Boredoms- Super You

(inspired by the japan thread) i couldn't believe my ears when i heard this. boredoms have a massive mythology, started out as total scum noise and then suddenly became the above. the artwork is done by EYE and is like another world. they have a bewildering number of side projects between them and are in general quite inspiring humans.

woops

is not like other people
61. Pizzicato Five - Baby Love Child

Another impossible band. And getting back to the melancholy theme a little bit - but they were electronic too. I heard them on the radio (Mark and Lard, yes) and it was just her singing and the guy with ten million effects pedals. I was like wow. Wouldn't raise an eyebrow these days. To my mind this 100% stands up today

version

61. Pizzicato Five - Baby Love Child

Another impossible band. And getting back to the melancholy theme a little bit - but they were electronic too. I heard them on the radio (Mark and Lard, yes) and it was just her singing and the guy with ten million effects pedals. I was like wow. Wouldn't raise an eyebrow these days. To my mind this 100% stands up today
Adam Curtis used this for the intro to one of his series.