Thrive in '95 - Jungle's zenith

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It is the opposite of ahistorical in as much as these were people I was friends with making judgements at the time. For a lot of people '94 is when they got off the bus.

I don't think ahistorical is the right word here we can still be ahistorical about events we lived through but i know what you mean. there is a word for it but i don't know what it is right now.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
In this case yeah!

It's weird though I was listening to some 94 garage tapes the other week and it's like, yeah this is nice but the speeding up hadn't yet happened then and I'm like how could you listen to this all weekend? and the thing is they weren't into the chicago jack tracks or like gemini, or cajual, they were into some of the most conservative varieties of house at the time, it's weird.

luka

History is supposed to be about what actually happened isn't it? And part of what actually happens in these scenarios is that a lot of more fastidious people get off the bus at the very point at which it gets crowded. Then they look for the next thing. It's an immemorial hallowed dynamic underlying everything.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
History is supposed to be about what actually happened isn't it? And part of what actually happens in these scenarios is that a lot of more fastidious people get off the bus at the very point at which it gets crowded. Then they look for the next thing. It's an immemorial hallowed dynamic underlying everything.

It's an eternal dynamic in dance music. I'm not sure how to break it. it needs to broken though. more than neomania this is the problem. well, abolishing club culture would help...

also those raving since 89-90 just grew up and got jobs. you can't be knocking back speed and E's and acid every weekend. bit of good gak, nice champagne, just vibes, don't get too out of it. It's an aesthetic I find hard to understand but it's a very prevalent one.

luka

Yeah there's a pronounced generational churn, particularly in the UK. The 3 year genre cycle.

firefinga

hmmm 95 imo wasn't that good as 92-94 and then 96. Oh and when we're at it....

Seems everybody has forgotten about the following - late '94 charts hit and was on MTV all the time back in the day....

That said, 95 was the year the Goldie Album failed to meet the expectations on commercial and other levels. Also in 95 u had those odd things watering down the "hard core" like Jungle Remixes on Trip Hop 12" and the likes....

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I just remember from like, 2007 or 2008 lying in bed scrolling through the pirate radio stations before school (i had insomnia then/still do) and there'd always be this kind of bongo rhodes vocal house thing always unchanging and always there. a lot of people could say the same for my techno but for a music so predicated on organicism it did feel like comfort music. the drone of dance music.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
hmmm firefinga i dunno don't forget 95 was the year of Black by DJ SS and Let Me Know by Da Matrix.

roni size all the crew big up.

daz - liquidiser.

loads of stuff to find if you dig a bit. Emotif was untouchable in 95.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
anyway droid post more tunes im batting for you but when a historian like luke gets involved my aborted history degree impulses kick in.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I just remembered a transcendantally boring label. Ram. Remember them? Terrible.

you mad shimon the predator is all time top 10. desired state killer beat. madness. anyway this thread is to bait droid so im bowing out lol.

firefinga

hmmm firefinga i dunno don't forget 95 was the year of Black by DJ SS and Let Me Know by Da Matrix.

roni size all the crew big up.

daz - liquidiser.

loads of stuff to find if you dig a bit. Emotif was untouchable in 95.

A lot of good stuff in 95 without a doubt, but not as great as a whole as the other years I listed.

One label that got very mediocre in '95 was Subbase. Fell from grace totally after 94

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
A lot of good stuff in 95 without a doubt, but not as great as a whole as the other years I listed.

One label that got very mediocre in '95 was Subbase. Fell from grace totally after 94

yeah i don't even think i can think of anything post-94 on sub bass i really love, which is weird I'm supposed to be a scholar on this stuff always frightening blissblogger...

I mean dream team stamina of course but i count that as 94, even dred bass remix, it's on dub anyway.

Last edited:

droid

The big three all fell off sharply in 95. take a look at their catalog and you see that 95 brings about a slew of compilations and licensing and then a big drop in output.

luka

you mad shimon the predator is all time top 10. desired state killer beat. madness. anyway this thread is to bait droid so im bowing out lol.

Just to clarify this thread is him baiting me. I am the bull in this scenario not the matador.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
see that tune is the beginning of the end for me. not anything techstep. that was by far one of the worst offenders. horrid acid jazz jungle. what was he even thinking.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
give me one of those flytronix tunes that bliss is not a fan of over circles any day. i can appreciate that stuff like i am into house. but circles? i wish it never happened. the absolute worst compromise.