IdleRich

IdleRich
Portuguese cops are basically all on the lash as well though right?
Do you know what, I think people might have this image as Portuguese police as some sort of lazy, sleepy bunch of overweight slackers, but that is totally unfair, the reality is way worse.

Well, you got in towns two groups of police, the community police who look like this and I guess are relatively benign, seem to be on average older, kinder, fatter, more like you might imagine, they drive cars look like this

lisbon-municipal-police-car-parked-in-praca-do-rossio-rossio-square-also-known-as-king-pedro-iv-square-2AAA3CT.jpg

MunicipalPolice.jpg

But then you get the other guys who seem to all come from a production line of superfit steroided and angry men in their mid to late twenties. They are always angry, aggressive, they have guns and I find them really intimidating and I can't be the only ones. And it seems that every time there is an incident involving me and the police that it's these guys that I have to deal with. And I always feel that they are trying to throw every part of the ook at me that they can, presumably hoping that I might make a runner and give them the excuse of beating me up, or better still using part of their arsenal of weapons. Like when he pulled me over the other day he made a real point of saying "I'm
gonna find every minor infraction I can and fine you the maxium amount for each one" - which to me does sound like exactly what I what expect to hear from a tiny-dicked steroid addicted loser who is using the small amount of power he has to fight a bitter war against the world that rejected him. Whatever, I hate these cunts, right down to their pastel blue uniform that I can only assume is part of a failed attempt to soften their image.
They drive cars like this

catalog

I think you'll charm them if you wear some nice leather brogues, suit and tie and that funny watch you've got. Maybe offer a free set of tickets to your short film night?

Leo

yeah, good call, Catalog. Wear the suit, rich. but maybe not with your favorite sunglasses.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Portuguese cops are basically all on the lash as well though right?
Do you know what, I think people might have this image as Portuguese police as some sort of lazy, sleepy bunch of overweight slackers, but that is totally unfair, the reality is way worse.

Well, you got in towns two groups of police, the community police who look like this and I guess are relatively benign, seem to be on average older, kinder, fatter, more like you might imagine, they drive cars look like this

lisbon-municipal-police-car-parked-in-praca-do-rossio-rossio-square-also-known-as-king-pedro-iv-square-2AAA3CT.jpg

View attachment 14762

But then you get the other guys who seem to all come from a production line of superfit steroided and angry men in their mid to late twenties. They are always angry, aggressive, they have guns and I find them really intimidating and I can't be the only one. And it seems that every time there is an incident involving me and the police that it's these guys that I have to deal with. And I always feel that they are trying to throw every part of the book at me that they can, presumably hoping that I might make a runner and give them the excuse of beating me up, or better still using part of their arsenal of weapons. Like when he pulled me over the other day he made a real point of saying "I'm gonna find every minor infraction I can and fine you the maxium amount for each one" - which to me does sound like exactly what I what expect to hear from a tiny-dicked steroid addicted loser who is using the small amount of power he has to fight a bitter war against the world that rejected him. Whatever, I hate these cunts, right down to their pastel blue uniform that I can only assume is part of a failed attempt to soften their image.

Well, my laptop is being a cunt, I'm struggling to get the pics to work. but the point is, from my experience of these guys, they are aggressive, armed and seem to be on steroids and I genuinely find them pretty intimidating. In their actions with people it always seems to start with their being kind of accusatory without reason before ultimately winding themselves back in and leaving people walking away thinking "that was lucky" but really that's only the case in that the situation wound down from an unnecessarily heightened and charged one at the beginning.

Of course it's not like in the US, but I recognise a lot of Padraig was saying earlier about the militarised police there when I see these guys. Polis-man means man of the city I think and as such they are supposed to be servants of the city and the citizenry. However my reaction on seeing them is always that they are intimidating and more likely to escalate the situation. They carry guns and several other weapons despite this being one of the safest places I've lived (I realise that statement does leave an opening for people to switch it around and saying "maybe it's the safest place you've lived cos it's policed by an army of fit young men armed to the teeth and simply itching for someone to step out of line").

From the start of any interaction with these guys, it feels as though they believe they are the bosses - I remember in Irvine Welsh's Filth the bent copper protagonist says something along the lines of "We're the biggest gang in town" and that's what I get here too, no sense that they work for you. My eperience ins normally that they stop you, insist on searching you and being quite aggressive, telling you all the time time that if you don't admit to carrying drugs or weapons then they will have to station and arrest you. Then after a long search they tend to soften and say "You seem like a good guy, nothing found, have a nice evening" although one time there was a guy who was convinced that he had caught me red-handed in that that I was in an area where drugs are sold, so he was very confident of finding something, smiling, really smug - like really walking super happy like one of those German officers in war film giving it all that "for you Tommy, the war is over".

But as the search went on and he couldn't find anything he got more and more annoyed, more and more aggressive, demanding that I tell him where they were hidden and threatening me repeatedly with arrest. All I could say though was "I'm stuck here cos I have no drugs and so I can't give you the answer you want me to to" and then he was "Wait a minute Mr Richard, what about your genitals?" and then no drugs there either... by the end he was furious and just went "Get the fuck out of here!" and stormed off in a mood. Hearts and minds definitely not won over.

IdleRich

IdleRich
don't know if you're joking, so just in case; that is a terrible terrible idea and please don't do it
Yyaldrin, I am a bit useless at times, I can be silly and possibly in my worst moments even reckless, but I'm not a deliberate trouble-maker type. I do believe in everyone's right to get as drunk or whatever as they like, but that's as long as it only affects them.

I really strongly disapprove of those who behave boorishly when under the influence. Starting or getting in fights, smashing stuff up for fun, in fact I hate to see anyone's actions impinging on those who haven't explicitly chosen to be part of it. I think manners are crucial and that's still the case however fucked one is.

What I'm saying is that I'm honestly a very harmless guy - especially as regards other people - and apart from the odd moment of clumsiness I'd like to think I'm pretty fucking far from being self-destructive.

All of which is a long-winded way of saying, if I've somehow given you the idea that I'm the sort of person who would deliberately get high and then go to a police station, then that was not my intent. I find your genuine concern here touching, thank you for that, but honestly, you can set your mind at rest... I can be mildly foolish at times but trust me - despite appearances to the contrary from time to time - I'm not an utter fuckhead, I promise!

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Yyaldrin, I am a bit useless at times, I can be silly and possibly in my worst moments even reckless, but I'm not a deliberate trouble-maker type. I do believe in everyone's right to get as drunk or whatever as they like, but that's as long as it only affects them.

I really strongly disapprove of those who behave boorishly when under the influence. Starting or getting in fights, smashing stuff up for fun, in fact I hate to see anyone's actions impinging on those who haven't explicitly chosen to be part of it. I think manners are crucial and that's still the case however fucked one is.

What I'm saying is that I'm honestly a very harmless guy - especially as regards other people - and apart from the odd moment of clumsiness I'd like to think I'm pretty fucking far from being self-destructive.

All of which is a long-winded way of saying, if I've somehow given you the idea that I'm the sort of person who would deliberately get high and then go to a police station, then that was not my intent. I find your genuine concern here touching, thank you for that, but honestly, you can set your mind at rest... I can be mildly foolish at times but trust me - despite appearances to the contrary from time to time - I'm not an utter fuckhead, I promise!
don't worry! actually i would have like it if you would have gone michael douglas falling down style to the police station and caused a scene! what troubled me was how you casually mentioned you would smoke some crack and then take some xanax but i don't know if you were joking or not? there's a growing crack scene in berlin and even though i don't know any personal stories, it looks really ugly.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Thank you. Once again I do find it really nice when people are honest enough to drop all the irony and joking and just check that someone is alright. But on that score I can truthfully reply with the honesty your point deserves and say that you need not worry about me. I probably shouldn't be so flippant and I apologize for that.

I will say that when I was in London things were quite dark at times and out of the several friendship groups I had some of them were seriously deep into heroin and crack and... I wouldn't say it was THE reason I left, but leaving that behind was definitely one of the advantages. I'm happy to report that things are very different here.

And one more moment of seriousness before I return to the protection of the automatic irony that characterises most modern discourse - I am really glad for this board and the fact that there are people on it nice enough to have genuine concern for other members.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Got my sunnies on to cope with the glaring lights at Temple Meades after a metal gig in Bristol, the Syd will be good for another couple of hours yet I reckon. Will help pass the time on the late train home, anyway.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
What the fuck is Syd? Well I'm gonna guess it means lsd but is it a recognized term or one you just made up?
I don't know. It just sounds like it should be. But you are correct.

Fucking lovely stuff, shame I don't get a chance to indulge more often.