Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
GettyImages-1238272145.jpg
Putin: Let's play with some toy soldiers! I'll be Alexander I, you can be Napoleon, and this big white table can be the endless, snow-covered expanse of the Russian steppe.

Reactions: Leo

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Strong words from the Chair of the Foreign Affairs Select Committee. Not that I have any expectation of it making the slightest bit of difference.

wild greens

He is one of the lads who is being talked up as being a Boris replacement isn't he

Don't know enough about him yet but seems a much more credible concept than Truss or Sunak

luka

Why do nations amass troops at the borders in this way? I don't understand the logic of it. Maybe Craner can explain it. You had a similar thing with India/China the other day. An increase in tensions, a few pointless deaths, and all for no discernible reason.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Why do nations ammas troops at the borders in this way? I don't understand the logic of it. Maybe Craner can explain it. You had a similar thing with India/China the other day. An increase in tensions, a few pointless deaths, and all for no discernible reason.
Mr Hat-Tugger goes into some detail on what Putin stands to gain in the Twitter thread I posted.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well it's more or less what you'd expect. It exposes divisions and weaknesses among Western countries - we can't agree what to do about it, and even if we all did agree, there's not much we can do; it also exposes hypocrisy - Germany needs Russia's gas, London is up to its eyeballs in dirty Russian cash - and makes him useful to China, by distracting attention away from them.

shakahislop

really weird watching this one from afar. i know nothing at all about that part of the world or russian-european politics. so i have no way to understand the headlines i skim over on the guardian. the two people i talk to in kyiv are totally blasé about it. hence why i'm still supposed to be heading out there.

think that there is more than a little titilation or however you spell it and excitement in 'our' reaction to it, and that feeds back a bit into how the guardian and everyone else reports on it. it's been ages since 'we' were in a war, and this one feels new, in that it's not happening in the middle east, it's quite a new thing, a kind of retro thing with white people on both sides, land borders, troops amassing, fighting in the snow, commentary on 'while the ground is frozen'. but also, importantly, its happening far enough away that it doesn't feel like its happening to us.

shakahislop

i think people like it. it's probably not a particularly original point. there's something about these kinds of crises that make us feel alive. its amazing how closely we experience distant events these days, live blogs, updates, day by day accounts.