shakahislop

its an old hobbyhorse but the period in the summer where the taliban unexpectedly took kabul was incredible for this. no-one had given a shit about anything that was going on out there for years. including even the week before, when district after district was being taken over. then suddenly for a week it was all over the news and a load of people for a short time really cared about getting, in particular, 'the people who had worked with us' out of kabul. now no-one gives a shit again, we got our excitement out of it, great TV, and now its gone again. a load of the people that worked with us are still stuck on air bases in the UAE six months later, waiting for visas.

shakahislop

people are into it aren't they. on an emotional level they / we are clicking on the guardian website a few times a day, watching what's going on. partly its boredom but its also partly about the emotions the news can provoke.

sufi

lala
people are into it aren't they. on an emotional level they / we are clicking on the guardian website a few times a day, watching what's going on. partly its boredom but its also partly about the emotions the news can provoke.
but yes this is very very true

shakahislop

i'm not saying this as a moral judgement. i'm involved in all of this too. it's more just about saying: there's a particular way that media is formed at the moment, which as usual is different to how it was formed ten years ago, and that this is one aspect of how it seems to work

luka

i'm not saying this as a moral judgement. i'm involved in all of this too. it's more just about saying: there's a particular way that media is formed at the moment, which as usual is different to how it was formed ten years ago, and that this is one aspect of how it seems to work
i dont think its new. the news has always been primarily titilation and entertainment. what else could it possibly be for?

luka

one of the reasons i loved Craner's blogs, the early ones in particular, was that they acknowledged this. they were all about the amphetamine rush of consuming war, corruption, natural disasters

luka

we never see anything out of the ordinary in our lives. they are completely without events. they run frictionlessly on the monorail of routine and habit. of course we want to read about guerilla insurgencies, mountain strongholds, suicide bombers, religous fundamentalism, beheadings, torture, explosions, rebel roadblocks and checkpoints, mudslides, volcanos

luka

thats why the coronavirus was so brilliant at first, the first event of our entire lives. although all it really entailed was staying indoors more than we might otherwise, and feeling a vague, but persistent sense of anxiety.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Why do nations amass troops at the borders in this way? I don't understand the logic of it. Maybe Craner can explain it. You had a similar thing with India/China the other day. An increase in tensions, a few pointless deaths, and all for no discernible reason.
It's all about the Risk cards. He won't have enough armies to go after the Baltics without trading them in. He got one for annexing the Crimea, then one for intervening in Kazakstan, and now he's waiting for the next turn to pick up another one by invading the Ukraine. In 2024 he'll trade in and roll over Estonia, Latvia and Finland in one go.