Mass shootings

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well, I don't know that people in the Middle East accept them. I'm just talking about the response when people over here or in the States hear about them.
Sure, I hear you. I don't really know the levels of acceptance in the Middle East.

sufi

lala
Sure, I hear you. I don't really know the levels of acceptance in the Middle East.
it occurred to me that it's like what they called "cauldronisation" in the context of the US incursions to the Middle East - now it's happening in the US, with political polarisation & mass small arms violence

obvs it's hard to know anything beyond what we read in the press, but my impression is that gun violence in US is way more prevalent than political or civil violence in the middle east at the moment, even including the war in yemen and the ongoing struggles in syria, iraq, and mass oppression in Iran, Egypt etc etc dunno how you'd find the numbers to analyse that tho

sufi

lala
it occurred to me that it's like what they called "cauldronisation" in the context of the US incursions to the Middle East - now it's happening in the US, with political polarisation & mass small arms violence

obvs it's hard to know anything beyond what we read in the press, but my impression is that gun violence in US is way more prevalent than political or civil violence in the middle east at the moment, even including the war in yemen and the ongoing struggles in syria, iraq, and mass oppression in Iran, Egypt etc etc dunno how you'd find the numbers to analyse that tho
& that's without even considering Mexico, where the weapons are coming from el norte as far as i understand

version

"Mass shootings have become commonplace in the United States, which has experienced 146 so far in 2023, the most at this point in the year since 2016. Those statistics use the definition of four or more shot or killed, not including the shooter - according to the nonprofit Gun Violence Archive."

sufi

lala
"Mass shootings have become commonplace in the United States, which has experienced 146 so far in 2023, the most at this point in the year since 2016. Those statistics use the definition of four or more shot or killed, not including the shooter - according to the nonprofit Gun Violence Archive."
almost 40,000 Americans killed by guns in 2019 (the most recent year that chatGPT knew about)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
All kicking off in Serbia now:

Edit...

A 14-year-old boy has opened fire in a Belgrade classroom, killing eight children and a school security guard and injuring a further six pupils as well as his teacher, the Serbian interior ministry has said.

Police identified the shooter by his initials, KK, and said he had been a pupil at the school in the centre of the Serbian capital since 2009. He had used his father’s gun for the shooting at about 8.40am on Wednesday and was later arrested in the school playground.

Kids in Serbia are enrolled in schools at birth? I guess '2009' must be a typo for '2019'.

IdleRich

IdleRich
A mass shooting in Belgrade, as well as being a horrible and tragic event, also highlights the scarcity of these occurrences in the region - despite the fact that it's an area inhabited by countless groups that were at war with each other well within living memory and which is consequently swimming with weapons.

To me the above facts would be expected to make the area one where mass shootings are common - and yet they are more common in the US... why do?

Now of course it's a way too complicated question to wade into as simplistically as that. There must be countless reasons but one thing I wanted to particularly ask about is the way that shootings seem to bring about more shootings. It feels as though they kinda breed and bring about more - but let's make it a bit more real. Of course shootings don't really breed but it appears that there really is some mechanism that means that shootings bring more shootings.

I guess that two possible explanations come to mind straight away for me.... the first is that, if you live in a country with no mass shootings and you see them on telly and maybe read about them in the paper or whatever then it's the same as seeing them in Hollywood

luka

A mass shooting in Belgrade, as well as being a horrible and tragic event, also highlights the scarcity of these occurrences in the region - despite the fact that it's an area inhabited by countless groups that were at war with each other well within living memoryand which is consequently swimming with weapons.

One thing is surely the
cliffhanger

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The amount of pent up rage and bitterness people have in this country (perhaps it's like that in most countries, I just don't live there) imagine how on edge you'd be if there were cunts walking around with AR-15s.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I see that the governor of New Mexico passed, or tried to pass, a kind of unilateral emergency law in response to some recent gun violence in her state.

You don't have to be an expert in US law to guess that that ran into a few issues straight off. Numerous lawsuits and calls for impeachment and a judge granted, I dunno, I don't think it's called a stay, but a thing that blocks it being implemented while they argue about it. Also a lot of police and the DA etc refused to implement it so it seems it really is dead in the water.

Part of me thinks that the way to resolve such a emotive and divisive issue is not by unilaterally making a decree of a kind that would be controversial whatever it dealt with... then again, maybe it is a kind of Gordian Knot that can't be untangled, only cut through. But if that is the case I feel it has to come from higher than a state governor - so I suppose I'm saying it would need to be from the president.

Question for our American buddies, what would happen if the president issued an executive order in favour of gun control? I'm being quite vague here as regards the details cos I'm asking mainly about the POTUS's ability to pass executive orders and what recourse his enemies have to block it.

Suppose a president said "The country as a whole is in favour of gun control, however the peculiarities of our system combined with history has allowed a number of wealthy vested interests to thwart the will of the majority and keep this law off the books. So I'm passing an executive order to make it harder to buy, own, display, use etc guns".

Could POTUS do that? If not, why not? If so, why don't they? If they did what could/would NRA do?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Question for our American buddies, what would happen if the president issued an executive order in favour of gun control? I'm being quite vague here as regards the details cos I'm asking mainly about the POTUS's ability to pass executive orders and what recourse his enemies have to block it.

Suppose a president said "The country as a whole is in favour of gun control, however the peculiarities of our system combined with history has allowed a number of wealthy vested interests to thwart the will of the majority and keep this law off the books. So I'm passing an executive order to make it harder to buy, own, display, use etc guns".

Could POTUS do that? If not, why not? If so, why don't they? If they did what could/would NRA do?
On a procedural level, I'm not sure what that would look like, or if it could be done, or if chronic mass shootings qualify as some sort of state of emergency here - but I'd imagine it could incite some paramilitary uprisings or occupations of zones of civic power or geographic advantage.

As for NRA and probably various other libertarian "social welfare organizations" (IRS term), they'd likely fund rallies and events that, for legal reasons, exploit technical loopholes such that they technically aren't supporting uprisings or occupations, but everyone would know that they effectively are. Not sure what litigative action the likes of NRA could or would take against regulators here, but I'd imagine they'd pull out all the stops.

It would also likely be a big rallying point for GOP, likely enough to unify more extreme MAGA types with more moderate constitutional libertarian types. Anyway, just my two cents.

IdleRich

IdleRich
On a procedural level, I'm not sure what that would look like, or if it could be done, or if chronic mass shootings qualify as some sort of state of emergency here - but I'd imagine it could incite some paramilitary uprisings or occupations of zones of civic power or geographic advantage.

You don't need a state of emergency to issue an executor order do you? I mean Obama did a few when he became pres, and Trump wrote loads of the fuckers.

I guess that in New Mexico she was claiming - or maybe just implying - a state of emergency hence the thirty day thing... also I think that this was a weakness that her enemies could exploit as it seems you can't do that at state level.

As for NRA and probably various other libertarian "social welfare organizations" (IRS term), they'd likely fund rallies and events that, for legal reasons, exploit technical loopholes such that they technically aren't supporting uprisings or occupations, but everyone would know that they effectively are. Not sure what litigative action the likes of NRA could or would take against regulators here, but I'd imagine they'd pull out all the stops.

But I was thinking of going to court and having the laws blocked by a judge or struck down by a court. That's what Dems did when Trump hurriedly wrote a load of ill-conceived ones.

But on what grounds can you do that? Do the laws need to be unconstitutional or written so ineptly that they become unconstitutional? Are there are reasons to challenge, and are there methods other than by going to court?

It would also likely be a big rallying point for GOP, likely enough to unify more extreme MAGA types with more moderate constitutional libertarian types. Anyway, just my two cents.

Yeah i by get that and I agree but that's a different thing.