The Fertilization of Egypt (1791)

DP816711.jpg

catalog

Blake on Fuseli:

"The only Man that e'er I knew
Who did not make me almost spew"

Mark E. Smith kind of line.

catalog

didn't know that. just looking through a few of his images now and the connection between the two is very strong.

Mouxault

my fav william blake artworks are the wonderful night thoughts illustrations with their fine colour combinations and his epic great illustrations like Newton, the acient of days or the red dragon and the woman clothed with the sun.

catalog

i think most of the common blake images we see are a bit "roughed up" cos of the extreme printing process he used. when you see these ones, the lines are a lot cleaner, with more clarity. you see a different side of him really.

Mouxault

they were made after watercolor studies. I think this could explains why they are so tender and have such clear lines

catalog

i mean, you can't be sure, but you feel like the stuff he's more famous for, when he's writing the text as well as doing the drawing, with the bolder/more striking tine, it's closer to what he wanted?

A-Poison-Tree-from-Songs-of-Experience.jpg

but i don't know, with the more garish colours and rougher feel... maybe he was just a bit skint. it's probably all there in the biog.

Certainly my reaction when i saw his plates for the first time was "fucking hell, this is making my eyes bleed" and they are complex to read partly for this reason, and cos they are so small. the transcriptions are really necessary i think, or at least they are. which of course takes away from the experience a bit, i feel like he wanted you to take in the whole lot in one go. frustrating.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Was trying to find Blake’s paintings of certain well know fellows etc and came across his death mask

C5129ED7-B379-4627-9143-0D48028B035E.jpeg

The details are stunning, another version

B1321DCB-97C8-4DC6-B960-92505DC51914.jpeg

catalog

blake looks like domcum to me

359acb26a596df4a0cc5dd071a407922Y29udGVudHNlYXJjaGFwaSwxNjIxOTQ2MTU3-2.59851673.jpg

same very big forehead. can't find a picture of him with his eyes closed. that would seal the deal

catalog

did a copy of plate 25 from "Jerusalem" - I just really like image.

J9K1X3t.jpeg

The flex in the body is great, i love the tautness and head back. The sun, moon and stars on his legs put me in mind of tattoos, so it's got this unintentionally modern feel.

Like wrestling.

Or actually made me think most about this guy I saw dancing one night in The White Hotel. He was huge and quite old, wearing double denim, but soon went tops off. It was when Croww and Black Mecha were playing, proper "washing machine music" at points, angular noise that you can't do a lot but head nod to.

But this guy was jiving like nobody's business, right under the DJ booth, wilful abandon. Nothing particularly unusual in a way, cos there's always something odd going on there and the environment encourages everyone to just do what they feel. But because not many other people were dancing, and it was such a cold night, it sort of stuck out a bit.

The funny thing was that he left shortly before I did, so when I was about to get in my car and drive home, he was sort of standing at the end of the road that leads to the club, looking a bit dazed. He asked me which way it was to get back to Victoria, so I explained. The White Hotel is at the end of a cul-de-sac, but it has a corner in it, so by the time you get to the end, especially if you are already a bit out of it, you can feel like you've walked in a circle. He had this really strong accent - I felt like Bolton or Preston, something like that.

Looked like he'd had the time he needed to have. Just like in the Blake print.