Cartoon Physics/The Revenge of the Tangible

mvuent

Void Dweller
seems to me like this way of hearing sound comes mostly from 80s hip hop. not the commercial stuff but the scratching/megamix end of things. hardcore and jungle were sort the second generation in this tradition.

the kind of impossible physical demands that the chopped up breaks were making on your body in peak period jungle and hardcore - making you want to bounce off the walls and dance on the celing

probably, uh, shouldn't mention who said this (you can probably guess):

How does scratching/turntablism and influence your approach to producing sounds? The way you manipulate bass sometimes sounds like you're pushing and pulling at gravity and also reminds me of Terminator-X ripping up a kick drum. Is he an influence?

tons i would say

loads of my beat programming has a similar push/pull thing going on even tho i might be doing it with kicks and snares or whatever

that and tape editing - i.e. often not having 2 sounds on the same hit (apart from light/hat sounds), a bit like the beat is like a ball bouncing off different surfaces

mvuent

Void Dweller
with 80s hip hop you'll have these absurdly huge, heavy gated reverb snares and kick drums that are like blocks of concrete slamming down. but then they'll be used in a way that's extremely agile and malleable. the effect is really cool in a very absurd way. I don't know of any popular music that was like that beforehand.

entertainment

Not sure if completely understand the thesis but it made me think of chopping and screwing. Techniques that bend a song out of shape. Subverting and transmuting its original properties.

Last edited:

mvuent

Void Dweller
The whole thing sounds like a sheet of metal folding in on itself and being repeatedly compressed, like a piece of metal with the qualities of both metal and rubber. It also reminds me of 'exploding head syndrome', that sudden deafening sound that busts your skull just as you drift off, like every brass instrument in an orchestra playing at once.

mvuent

Void Dweller
I linked to your phenomenology thread on it don't worry. We've noticed.

as david stubbs points out this sounds cartoony as fuck. 3:22 reminds me of when you accidentally hit something really loudly and then grab onto it to try and dampen the sound.

version

I showed that one to my dad a few years ago and it was like a kid playing a video game or something. He was transfixed, couldn't wait to see what happened next, following the patterns.