Leo

Lifetime ban from this thread for eating savoury food with raisins in it.

I'd normally agree, dislike raisins and fruit in general in savory dishes but have to give rich a pass, he's too important to this thread. we'd be lost without him.

instead of a lifetime ban, I propose censure. it'll go down in dissensus lore as a stain on his record but not effect his posting ability and, like bill Clinton before him, he'll continue to have a successful run.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ha... or will it be more like Trump?

It's a West Indian/Jamaican bark drink. It is very bitter, but good for you. It tastes awful but you get used to it. The syrup is like the cordial version I suppose. You can get it fresh probably very easily in parts of London, but I've only got the bark and have to make it myself by boiling the bark up. Doubt you'll find it in Portugal
So mauby is the drink and you can buy it either in bark form (to make the drink), ready made (as mauby) or as a pathetic sweetened form called syrup for wimps?
I too doubt I will find it here. Somehow I'll just have to find a way to eke out a kind of semi-existence without it I guess.

DannyL

Wild Horses
It's really rank. I tried because I was like these are my people, but it was foul. I quite like that about Jamaican cuisine - amazingly delicious all the time, then randomly rancid.

catalog

Basically looks like I'm cooking a turd. Going pure to begin with, but I expect I'll be adding sugar at some point.

IMG_20200204_165030.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
Not really dinner but we baked some Russian biscuits to use up some tvorog we had lying around that was going out of date...

20200205_020952.jpg

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
At lunch went to this building where they have a Chinese supermarket and loads of Chinese, Japanese and Vietnamese food kiosks all under one roof. Also they sell bubble tea... really weird stuff that, anyone had it?
Anyway, stuffed our faces with loads of bao; pork belly, bang pork, chicken, peking duck...
Stuffed this evening so just a snack of bread with the so-called fresh cheese they sell here which has no real taste but is somehow very cleansing, with some anchovies and drizzled in their oil. On the side is this strange sliced crackling I bought the other day to try... not as tasty as I'd hoped.

20200206_201133.jpg

Leo

Homemade creamy carrot curry soup and crusty bread. Needed to keep things simple after last night's birthday (thank you, thank you) extravaganza at Gramercy Tavern. Occasional massive splurges are definitely worth it, literally floated home on a golden cloud of contentment.

IdleRich

IdleRich
There is a programme on telly here all the time called the Goldbergs... the smother on that is always cooking something called shrimp parm which I'd never had or even heard of... so had a quick google and thought it sounded intriguing as a lot of people are against mixing seafood and dairy. In the end I used a recipe for prawn mac n cheese which is pretty similar I guess.
So rich... mozzarella, sao joao and parmesan cheese, milk, butter and a kilo of prawns. Stuffed now.

20200207_202033.jpg

20200207_202513.jpg