Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Belated happy birthday, Leo! I hope your wife managed to find you a cake big enough to fit all the candles on.

luka

This thread died a bit after version and Corpsey stopped posting. Now it's just show off dinners. Not that I don't appreciate those it's just I liked having the full dynamic range, the contrasts, the extremes. Corpseys tesco meal deal nights. Version eating little single serve flavoured yoghurts and a satsuma like a 6 year old.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
This thread died a bit after version and Corpsey stopped posting. Now it's just show off dinners. Not that I don't appreciate those it's just I liked having the full dynamic range, the contrasts, the extremes. Corpseys tesco meal deal nights. Version eating little single serve flavoured yoghurts and a satsuma like a 6 year old.

corpsey living of maltesers three days in a row 🔥

IdleRich

IdleRich
There aren't many top line restaurants like that here. There is Bel Canto which is michelin starred and I looked into going there for some special occasion but it's SO expensive, think it will be over 400 euros for two of us to go there (more if we drink more than one glass of wine) which is an insane price for Lisbon... can't justify it really.

DannyL

Wild Horses

I posted above the misery and annoyance of cooking for children. Oven chips as projectiles; the you will "eat that broccoli" staring match; ketchup fucking everywhere, absolute visceral quivering disgust when asked to eat a piece of aubergine, open mouthed gurning competitions, "how did you get that on the celling". The wins - airplane manoeuvre, rounds of applause at finishing peas, another foodstuff to add to the non-embargoed list. More emotional highs and lows that a whole series of Eastenders.

DannyL

Wild Horses
We won't be seeing many vension pies from Mr Tea in a few years time, I'll say that much.

Tonight, I had a failsafe learnt from Nigel Salter a long time ago, the easiest thing to cook that still feels like proper cooking - fish pan fried in butter, fresh butter in pan when done + squeeze of lemon for a sauce. Lush. I had cod tonight but works with any fillet of white fish. You can add capers, parsley etc etc.

And Happy Birthday Leo! You obvs love this thread.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I posted above the misery and annoyance of cooking for children. Oven chips as projectiles; the you will "eat that broccoli" staring match; ketchup fucking everywhere, absolute visceral quivering disgust when asked to eat a piece of aubergine, open mouthed gurning competitions, "how did you get that on the celling". The wins - airplane manoeuvre, rounds of applause at finishing peas, another foodstuff to add to the non-embargoed list. More emotional highs and lows that a whole series of Eastenders.

The worst is when they cry. The shame. "I could've been in the Waffen SS, I would've fitted right in"

(hasn't happened often).

DannyL

Wild Horses
I might just post photos of kids meals for a week so you can share my misery but it'd probably be too shaming.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Really?! Insanity!
Italian cooks tend to see seafood and cheese as things that should never be mixed - like, you generally won't even get parmesan on seafood pasta or whatever. ISTR that there are bunch of "oh, yeah, except for that" counterexamples, though.

I had chips inna pitta for dinner. The fancy street food van we intended to go to while the laundry did had sold out by 8pm because they weren't expecting people to want food on a Friday night or something, so we went to a shonky kebab shop instead.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
During the decade my parents lived in France, a dish they always did when I went to visit was a sort of version of lobster thermidor but made with massive prawns instead, which probably worked out somewhat cheaper, must have been less fiddly to make and I expect was just as tasty, given that lobsters are really just massive prawns anyway.

It became a sort of running joke in the family because of that Stuart Lee routine where he's talking about friends of his who've moved to France and constantly bang on about "the quality of life", so he presses and presses about what this actually means and really it boils down to the availability of massive prawns.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Anyway, the idea of not using milk in the sauce and grated parmesan on top just doesn't bear thinking about.

IdleRich

IdleRich
What massive prawns though? Probably giant tiger prawns I'm guessing and you can get them in some of the more hipster fish mongers in London. It's not like they're native to France, they come from Thailand. Here it's fairly common to see them in supermarkets and so on, also the scarlet prawns which are almost as big.
Apparently you can get mantis shrimp (wikipedia says they can grow up to 46cm long) on some menus in Portugal but I've never seen it - although when we went out into the lagoon in Setubal to watch flamingos the guy driving (steering, sailing I don't fucking know) the boat had one in a little tupperware box just to show us which he then released into th

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Apparently the mantis shrimp are very tasty... they do look a little like earwigs though. It's weird I keep reading about dishes that are popular here that I literally never see.

MantisShrimp.jpg