version

Anyone able to provide an example of a conceptronica release they're genuinely into where the theory enhances the music? I'm talking recent stuff here, not the previous stuff we were talking about when it went back to Drexciya etc. Something within the last five years or so.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the stumbling block for me with a lot of this stuff / deconstructed club is that all the production virtuosity doesn't seem to be channeled in a very interesting direction. to me it often sounds more like audio from some sci fi action movie trailer than anything else: it's very hi fi and attention grabbing (a lot of LOUD DRAMATIC IMPACT sounds), but sort of lacks the can't-believe-what-i'm-hearing, "impossible" manipulations of sound you get in electroacoustic. which supports blissblogger's point about its dependence on EDM aesthetics. thinking of stuff like arca and jam city I guess.

would be happy to concede that I'm missing something. that's just often been my initial (discouraging) impression.

No, I completely agree. I said to someone the other that the rabit and chino amobi release sounds like stephen speelberg 1999 movie sound fx. so in that sense it isn't even compositionally new.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Anyone able to provide an example of a conceptronica release they're genuinely into where the theory enhances the music? I'm talking recent stuff here, not the previous stuff we were talking about when it went back to Drexciya etc. Something within the last five years or so.

no, only mark fell intra release from last year. doesn't count does it? more like computer generated compositions.

luka

Note the brown colour pallette. Very northern that. Don't draw attention to yourself lad, you're no better than anyone else. So disguise yourself as a tree.

catalog

Croww: prosthetics

version

I'm watching a Tim Reaper set on YouTube and there's a white guy with dreads wearing snow camo in the back.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
What's the concept behind Intra?

interlocking indian classical tala rhythms tuned to percussive microtonal metalophones conceived by Xenakis originally generated through computer sending instructions to the headphones for the percussionists to play.

version

That sort of thing doesn't really strike me as conceptronica because it's still all about the music, the concept is a musical one. I'm thinking of the stuff that Boomkat et al. claim is about 'the age of fake news' or 'replicating our hyper-atomised society thru punishing sound design, dembow rhythms and road man swagger'.

Leo

That sort of thing doesn't really strike me as conceptronica because it's still all about the music, the concept is a musical one. I'm thinking of the stuff that Boomkat et al. claim is about 'the age of fake news' or 'replicating our hyper-atomised society thru punishing sound design, dembow rhythms and road man swagger'.

I hate to nitpick (and feel like a broken record) but Boomkat doesn't claim anything: those lines you quote are merely what was submitted to them by the record label's PR team. don't fall for the PR hype.