entertainment

Snowflakes

If I have a point it is to not make it into a political thing. Saying the word 'snowflakes' inevitably does that.

This "either you're with us or you're against us" rhetoric is incendiary. Let the land have competing viewpoints.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
was wondering when you'd weigh in on this

well, my argument is that there is *nothing conceptual* behind it, that's just an ideological justification. someone like jana rush operating on the outer edges of footwork is far more capital P political and she's not caking her stuff in overrought let's appeal to white guilt manifestos, she doesn't need to because she cut her teath playing to urban ghetto house crowds.

this is why i'm quite appalled at the discussion falling back to but 'disco was political!' on twitter because this music has more in common with fag bashing nu metal than it does rare groove/rnb continuum. be serious for the love of all things allah almighty.

sadmanbarty

youc an test whether this music has scucceeded on it's own terms by whether si's articcle about it is more concept-rich than si's articles about non-conceptiual music.

if the answer is no, that would suggest conepteronica is an abject failure even when being assesed through its own paradigm.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
as Kodwo Eshun went to some pains to explain, it is already conceptual and to a very high degree
yeah that's inevitably the sticking point for me with things like this

I almost always want to like them far more than I actually do

always a pale reflection of the original. all trappings no substance. there's a hollowness. no vital spark. there's no there there.

padraig (u.s.)

I'm all for political and/or crit theory type things in art of all forms, implicitly, explicitly, conceptually, whatever

but the art itself - or the nexus of art and context - has to be compelling as art

if it isn't, no one is going to care about the message

padraig (u.s.)

dance music has been not only inevitably political, but attached to a set of commitments about the emancipatory power of not just the music, but the communal act of partying, and organising a space and community
this definitely isn't wrong or inaccurate

but it's pretty easy to overemphasize that aspect's importance

dance music has also always equally been monetized, commodified

it is wholly predicated on consumption

and driven by drugs, one of the harshest, most anti-community in every sense industries on the planet

padraig (u.s.)

not that things can't be contradictory

and "there's no ethical consumption under late capitalism" as the saying goes