What will be the result of the upcoming GE?

• Conservative majority

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Conservative minority

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Labour majority

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour minority

• The Lib Dems are a force for evil

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Fuck the lot of em, we're going to to hell in a handcart

• Total voters

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
How likely is it, do you think, that the Tories'll be able to implement this nakedly vote-suppressing voter ID policy, should they win a majority? The prospect is appalling. It could potentially disenfranchise enough mostly Labour-voting people that they'd have trouble forming a government ever again, I think I read somewhere.

John, what was the story you helped get taken down by the Sun? Was it the "cultural Marxism" conspiracy theory that was half sourced from InfoWars etc.?

Last edited:

version

How likely is it, do you think, that the Tories'll be able to implement this nakedly vote-suppressing voter ID, should they win a majority? The prospect is appalling. It could potentially disenfranchise enough mostly Labour-voting people that they'd have trouble forming a government ever again, I think I read somewhere.

There's also their plans for boundary changes and the stuff in the manifesto about fucking about with the House of Lords, the courts etc.

“After Brexit we also need to look at the broader aspects of our constitution: the relationship between the government, parliament and the courts; the functioning of the Royal prerogative; the role of the House of Lords; and access to justice for ordinary people. The ability of our security services to defend us against terrorism and organised crime is critical. We will update the Human Rights Act and administrative law to ensure that there is a proper balance between the rights of individuals, our vital national security and effective government.”

I think we're in the territory of that David Frum quote tbh - "If conservatives become convinced that they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy". Everything the Tories are doing points to them being painfully aware of their base dying off and the younger generations despising them, so it looks as though they're doing their best to rig it rather than, you know, offering policies that will make younger people want to vote for them.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It seems that way. Once upon a time (not even that long ago) I would have said that there were enough principled Tories to vote down a blatant attempt to rig future elections in that way... now I'm not so sure. If they win it's a fucking disaster for everyone.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
best luck, yall

I don't even know what that means at this point - anything besides a Tory outright majority I guess - but nonetheless

version

Hancock's completely mental. Why's he just staring at her the whole time?

:crylarf::crylarf::crylarf:

The comments are brutal:

Is that a journalist’s phone in his pocket, or is he just pleased to see you?

Does he have a lob-on?

You are aware he has an erection here

That guy is creepy as heck. Real Fred West energy. And he seems to have an erection.

Matt Hancock looks like the creepy guy at the office party that everyone feeds shots into to “bring him out of his shell” and when they succeed, they can’t put him back in again and he subsequently spends the whole evening making random comments and trying to dry hump a lamp.

I want a man that looks at me the way Matt Hancock looks at Wendy Maisey...said no woman ever. #CreepyBastard

Is that a semi? Please vote these people out so I don't have to see things like this. Obviously, hungry children, in work poverty, crumbling services, chronically underfunded Education, Health, Social Care etc. are many, many orders of magnitude worse, but still....

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hancock's completely mental. Why's he just staring at her the whole time?

:crylarf::crylarf::crylarf:

The comments are brutal:
Replying to
@WendyMaisey
and
@warringtonnews
If you are going to tell a Tory about how many poor people are sick and dying in one building, they will start to feel a little frisky. That's just biology. Can't be helped.

craner

Beast of Burden
If Labour lose heavily they will have to consider the fact that they bet the house on an ambitious manifesto which a majority did not find credible, rather than blaming it on Laura Kuenssberg, John Harris and MI5.

luka

It's more nuanced than that but I agree the left (in the broadest possible sense) have become addicted to magical thinking and conspiracy theory when they should be learning how to strategise and fight in this information environment

sadmanbarty

The remain campaign descending into a series of legal battles, “it was advisory”, “they cheated”, “Russian interference”

Trying to fight political battles through law

If Labour lose heavily they will have to consider the fact that they bet the house on an ambitious manifesto which a majority did not find credible, rather than blaming it on Laura Kuenssberg, John Harris and MI5.

Ambition, the cheek of it! Who sets the boundaries of credibility?

craner

Beast of Burden
Well, in this case the electorate. Of course, the other alternative would be to conclude that the manifesto wasn't ambitious enough, and prepare accordingly for next time.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well surely any election you pick a manifesto and bet the house on it being the best one you could do that would be popular enough to win. On top of that you need a strategy to put your message across. That's the way of the world I guess. Sadly.

craner

Beast of Burden
I'm not sure that is the case, manifestos are usually more tactical than strategic.

I think Labour had 2017 on their mind: apart from the policy and communications carnage of May's campaign, 'For the Many Not the Few' cut through surprisingly well to the electorate (this certainly surprised Labour more than they now like to admit). So when I say they bet the house on the manifesto, I mean in the sense that they actually believed they could repeat the strategy, and that doing it bigger would translate into a grand endorsement, a majority, maybe a dream landslide. It could be 1945 again: 'It's Time For Real Change' was designed to be their 'Let Us Face the Future'. The difference is, Labour in 1945 wrote their manifesto with zero conviction that they would actually beat Churchill straight after the war, and so let loose; whereas Labour 2019 have been organising their campaign with an unreal, indomitable optimism and will-to-believe. The first strategy was to circumvent Brexit (and Jews) by making the electorate an offer they could not refuse, and there is no reason why this would or could not work. But it doesn't look like it has, and their switch towards negative campaigning on the NHS is a tacit admission that was the case: they deployed Plan B. All I am saying is that if they lose then their time will be better spent trying to work out why the manifesto didn't work, rather than creating scapegoats and purging each other ("melts" etc.).

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ah ok, we're talking slightly at cross-purposes then. I was saying that campaigning for a GE is always a mixture of "real stuff" ie what you're planning to do and marketing etc which is a mixture of putting that across and making it sound good while making the other side sound bad and discrediting their people. I thought that you were saying that they had put too much into the former and not enough into the latter, whereas you were actually talking about whether or not the former had been well designed.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Don't forget Mossad!

Worth remembering, too, that Labour's policies are popular. It's Corbyn himself that people have a problem with.

craner

Beast of Burden
You've probably got more insight into the way it's going to go than any of us, to be honest, as you've actually been out knocking on people's doors and asking them, plus you're not a true believer. For example, your bleak anecdotes about the stubborn loyalty to Brexit even after everybody was promised free wifi made me think the polls are probably correct this time.

Leo

be thankful you don't have US-style elections: take all the outrageous behavior by politicians, hysterical media coverage and nasty social media discussion you've experienced in the past month and extend it by about 24 months.