craner

Beast of Burden
One of the things I was trying to get at in the interesting ethnic pathways thread is the way in which conservatism is forced to fictionalise in the absence of any sustained tradition. After industrial revolutions and world wars and globalisation and the 1960s unending of everything. After the gays and the feminists and the civil rights movement. When everything has been blown apart. And as a result it ends up as ludicrous kitsch.

You can see that here with the harking back to world pre 1960s. The rat pack suits with the narrow black ties. The side parted hair for men and the lopsided, would be rakish grin. You can see it in the tweed jackets which hark back to an aristocratic society which failed to survive the 20th century. Grouse moors and butlers. It's a kind of play acting that takes its cues not from a lived and living sustained tradition but from the entertainment industry. Period costume dramas. Mad Men. I'm very very surprised Oliver is susceptible to this as it is a serious lapse of taste.

None of this has anything to do with me. But I can see that, once again, Luke is finding it hilarious to insinuate that I'm a white supremacist.

luka

No I'm not. I'm analysing the clothing and styling choices of quillette contributors.

luka

The occasion you're talking about is when droid mentioned the Middle East forum funding Tommy Robinson and I let out that you had used them as a source for your essays on several occasions which was true but it was intemperate of me to mention it. I just suddenly realised it when droid said it and the shock of the revelation made me blurt it out without thinking. I don't think you're racist at all but obviously you are drawn to right wing outlets who, in addition to publishing the stuff you read will also be a home for fairly unsavoury elements.

With quillette there was no insinuation of racism at all I was just decrying a lapse in taste at an aesthetic level. Those staff photographs should have rung alarm bells imo.

I thought me and Bartys in depth semiotic analysis was far reaching and profound and it saddens me that you should have taken it the wrong way.

I can say once again without ambiguity or hesitation that Craner is not a white supremacist. And you can quote me on that.

sadmanbarty

For what it’s worth I understood the thread to be:

“the people in these photos dress in a way that’s indicative of a particular mindset, so let’s unpack that.

By the way There’s some crossover between that style of clothing and our caricature of Craner’s aesthetic sensibilities, so feel free to chip in some ‘Craner eats forrero roche’ jokes”

Any connection between the two strands of this thread were merely silly and tangential.

sadmanbarty

Joseph k’s kamal Ahmed suit is reaching for this aesthetic, but Is hindered by a nu metal slacker mentality. Joe’s not going have a gym membership or get his teeth whitened. He doesn’t wake up every morning, look in the mirror and say “complacency is the enemy of achievement”.

luka

It's actually a good thread. I'm very interested in the ways the new right are presenting themselves. It's a very Important topic. And I think it's good to skewer them as well because they are comical losers.

version

Have you seen their poetry section, luka? They put you to shame.

Before believing it’s helpful
For kids to skip school for the climate

Consider the wisdom level
That surely must be behind it

If I’d been an activist at 16
I would have made your head spin

As leader of an airtight regime
Based on the songs of Led Zeppelin

Why not speak truth to power
With a snack over your lunch hour?

How about you teach us
After afternoon recess?

Or a bake sale
So you don’t fail
Out of school?

version

If US immigration facilities
Are like concentration camps
What other American things
Must we brand with the same stamp?

Surely general admission seating
At a Backstreet Boys show
Is like millions of innocent people
Killed in unspeakable rows

And that maddening line at the airport
Where I’m forced to remove my shoes
Must be in the same ballpark
As killing six million Jews

Or maybe a pop show is just a pop show
And we should be clever enough to know
That politicians are sowing division
With hyperbole and revision

And as they dump from the stump
They’re no better than Trump

sadmanbarty

The whole mindset is one that’s antithetical to art. That’s the compelling thing about it; the aesthetics of the unaesthetic.