MJ vs. Prince

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

version

prince was nothing when i grew up. without exaggeration, i don't think i ever heard a prince song (aside from in the batman film) until i was maybe mid-late teens and actively listening to rick james and all that.

jackson on the other hand was ever-present in the mass consciousness. by the time i was 8 or 9 he was a staple joke. we would have been doing impressions of him and all that.

Yeah, I had the same experience. MJ was everywhere, Prince was something you stumbled across.

version

Padraig might be one for Prince. I remember him being very into him when I asked whether he was a bit shit last year.

sadmanbarty

miles davis claimed to be a huge prince fan, but i think that was just something an old man was saying to try and remain hip.

notice he never actually covered a princes song, whereas human nature was his signature tune throughout the 80's

luka

As I was saying earlier there was a huge cult around Prince round 99 and into the 00s that's what made me pay attention. Questlove and d angelo and the neptunes especially. He was always getting named checked round then

sadmanbarty

As I was saying earlier there was a huge cult around Prince round 99 and into the 00s that's what made me pay attention. Questlove and d angels and the neptunes especially. He was always getting named checked round then

funnily enough i was listening to clipse earlier and feeling completely alienated from the music. it felt pretend just like prince. enjoyable on a beard stroking, "isn't that clever level" but not aesthetically. its science not art.