IdleRich

IdleRich
So keep reading about tomato shortages all over the UK (and dishonest claims that there are shortages in the EU too) - and now this... fucking hell.

https://news.sky.com/story/asda-lim...-vegetables-due-to-supply-challenges-12816521

Reading back over the first few pages of this thread and... well, it seems we were all hopelessly naive and foolishly optimistic when we speculated on how things would go. Really feel permanently depressed about the state and direction of the UK now, more so than ever. I don't see any way for things to even start to improve.

luka

although it is strange to find all the brocolli on the shelf is rotten i admit. but otoh they dont even sell fresh veg in portugal so comparatively speaking i think we're ok

IdleRich

IdleRich
although it is strange to find all the brocolli on the shelf is rotten i admit. but otoh they dont even sell fresh veg in portugal so comparatively speaking i think we're ok
But you eat the same thing every day, if it gets rationed you will die. For a noble cause admittedly.

version

So keep reading about tomato shortages all over the UK (and dishonest claims that there are shortages in the EU too) - and now this... fucking hell.

https://news.sky.com/story/asda-lim...-vegetables-due-to-supply-challenges-12816521

Reading back over the first few pages of this thread and... well, it seems we were all hopelessly naive and foolishly optimistic when we speculated on how things would go. Really feel permanently depressed about the state and direction of the UK now, more so than ever. I don't see any way for things to even start to improve.

The Guardian are claiming the shortages are down to poor weather in southern Europe and north Africa.

... importers said supplies of salad and field crops had been affected by a mixture of unseasonable weather in Spain and southern Europe and storms in the Mediterranean combined with a reduction in the amount of crops planted in heated glasshouses in the Netherlands as energy bills have soared.

Industry insiders said availability of produce is down by between 30% and 40% on some crops, with the pepper harvest down 70% in Spain according to the catering supplier Reynolds. Wholesale prices have also shot up to three times normal levels in some cases, adding to inflation in stores as well as empty shelves.

At this time of year Murcia in southeastern Spain produces an estimated 80% of many salad and vegetable crops sold in the UK. Production in Britain does not usually begin until late March or April.

Italy, Morocco and elsewhere in north Africa are often used as an alternative source of supply, but these areas have also had cold weather in recent weeks, and shipments from Morocco have also been held up by storms.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Or, more nuanced reply, possibly there are fewer tomatoes to go round (though everyone all over the continent has debunked the weather claims), but cos of Brexit supply issues the UK is last in the queue for them.

People are also pointing to energy costs in the UK meaning that farms can't afford to heat greenhouses that would have grown toms - but seeing as UK energy costs are higher than the EU cos of Brexit...

version

Yeah but it's bollocks.

Looks like some of the Spanish agree with you.

... Alfonso Gálvez, who serves as general secretary of the Murcia branch of Asaja, Spain’s biggest farming association, said he was puzzled by the media talk of weather-induced shortages.

“I’ve seen these articles but I don’t understand why they’re talking about shortages here,” he said. “Things are normal so far this season so I don’t know if it’s more a problem of UK logistics since the Brexit regulations came into effect. There’s enough produce to supply the market and the vegetable season is happening pretty normally.”

[...]

“The sector adapted to the new [post-Brexit] export protocols set by the UK in coordination with the different ministries that are responsible,” he said. “But there have been logistics and transport problems when it comes to export, such as a shortage of lorry drivers to service the UK market, and the problems we’ve seen with the queues to get into the country through Eurotunnel.”

[...]

“On top of that, you’ve got the costs of all this bureaucracy and all these waits, which mean that perhaps the UK market isn’t so attractive,” he said. “But in any case, there are enough raw materials and produce to keep supplying the market.”

I guess he could be lying to protect his own interests and reassure customers the problem isn't at his end, but he's not saying anything particularly unbelievable.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I mean, the last guy who tried to unify Europe only managed 6 million.
I've just looked back at the very first page of this thread and would like to belatedly congratulate John on what is, without a doubt, the single most extravagantly moronic comment ever made on this forum by anyone, ever.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It wasn't his best moment... but this is an emotive topic and passions run very high amongst passionate remainders and ardent brexiters. Basically people care so much about their position that It's very common for people to lose control and say stuff in the heat of the moment that they would normally never dream of saying.

Now that Brexit has failed it's gone especially weird, when you look at twitter debates where you would previously have something like actual arguments with both sides at least trying to make what they thought were real points you now have these semi-debates with only one side, brexiters have really three choices

1.Just disappear; ignore the argument and refuse to get involved. This is happening more and more, which is why I say that you get semi-debates, just one side debating with the aether, talking to noone... which is happening on dissensus I guess, every day some new Brexit fuck-up (ranging from minor and laughable to close on disastrous) comes to light and we talk about it and laugh sadly but noone is there to stick up for it. It's a real pity, we need someone to come on here and stick up for Brexit, to claim outright that not being able to get tomatoes is a good thing, to swear that they knew exactly what they were voting for and that everyone understood that "absolutely noone is talking about leaving the common market" meant the complete opposite, and that just because all of the things that people said would happen after Brexit have happened there is absolutely no reason to think that Brexit was even tangentially related.

2. Tell absolutely hilariously moronic outright lies eg claim that the EU is just about to collapse or say how well the UK is performing - or claim it was sabotaged by remainers or the EU somehow.

3. Say stupid bitter insults - which must by law be spelled incorrectly - and normally conclude with "we won so fuck-off and leave if you don't like demkrasy you cuck trayter"

IdleRich

IdleRich
It does seem that noone on here will say that Brexit is good. We'll get contrarians sticking up for paedos or even pretending Jamiroquai is good but not Brexit, it's such a shame. I mean I can imagine 3rd Form liking it cos of the damage it's done, but noone on here will argue that Brexit has made Britain stronger or happier or improved anything for anyone other than multimillionaires such as that utter utter cunt JRM with their offshore money.

If only Mixed Biscuits was still alive, I'm sure he would be able to produce a graph showing how great Brexit is... his death, if only for that reaon, is such a sad loss, a tragic waste of what I'm sure could have been some of the funniest arguments ever seen on the board. Oh and obviously it's sad cos he's yunno, dead and everything.

I always find it particularly strange when people argue that a vindictive and jealous EU has ruined Brexit. That is such a patently self-defeating argument - the whole point of Brexit is that we took back control and forged off powerfully into the unknown cos of course we didn't need the EU to help us in any way.

But that position is completely at odds with the claim that the EU has ruined Brexit - that is equivalent to saying that we need them to let us succeed, it reveals an embarrassingly honest view of the UK's weakness and is an inadvertent confession that Brexit just cannot be what it was supposed to be, it's admitting that we can't make our own destiny. How can anyone say seriously that "they need us more than we need them" or repeat any of the other ludicrous claims we've all heard so often - while at the same time insisting that the EU is so powerful that it can completely defeat brexit simply by maliciously wishing it to fail.

• Haha
Reactions: Leo

IdleRich

IdleRich
And as for lies... well, this tomato thing is such a perfect example in so many ways. Yellowhammer predicted that a hard brexit might cause disruption to food supplies (incidentally who's seen that clip of Farage who now holds an EU passport saying that it was the most ridiculous thing that he'd ever heard?) and now we have disruption to food supplies. So, could there possibly be some kind of connection?

So brexiteers have a bit of a problem, how do they respond to this? Well, in several ways, all equally stupid..., well, all stupid, to be honest I haven't worked out the precise levels of stupidity in each case.

The first response from many - I think I've even seen it on this board weirdly enough - was just cretinous denial "I bought tomatoes yesterday therefore we are all absolutely totally fine and there is absolutely no shortage of tomatoes anywhere, it's all a big lie made up by Remoaners because there can be no possibility that quantities may vary across different shops at different times and my one single experience completely invalidates that of all other shoppers everywhere and of the heads of the shopping companies who have said that there is a shortage and who are are talking about rationing tomatoes and other vegetables, and it means we can disregard any MP or other person who has already fallen back from this position and is busily making up their own non-brexit related reason for the lack of tomatoes". I suppose the thinking was that if things got sorted out quickly enough and supplies came back online then they could just about pretend that it had never happened. Anyway, whatever the thinking behind it, even the dumbest have seen through it now and so I think we can safely disregard that for the clear nonsense it is.

Once several big chains came out and said that some vegetables are gonna have to be rationed even the most brexity of MPs had to admit there is a problem. Well, they have to admit there is a shortage, I have seen a number of people claim that it's not a problem - Therese Coffey said we should eat turnips instead, something I find fantastically depressing - it reminds me of nothing so much as a few years ago when the West introduced sanctions against Russia and Liza's brother was putting a brave face on it saying ridiculous stuff like "I've eaten enough brie already" - just pretending it made no difference by pointing out that each of the individual things that he could no longer get hold of were not really such a big deal. Lots of insisting that the western sanctions weren't that much of a problem - and in a sense it was true I guess, just lots of lots of things that were slightly worse than they were before didn't ruin his life, they just made it a bit smaller and more boring. And if that was the worst that an opposing power could do to them it was hardly gonna bring the country to its knees.... but in this case there is no opposing power, the UK has in effect introduced sanctions on itself. Oh, and look what I said on page one of this thread....

(UK will become some kind of) sealed mini-town - like in 28 Days Later or The Bad Batch or something - where you manage to eke out some kind of existence eating only turnips and...

The argument of "x is only a bit worse than it was before" is one that annoys me quite a lot in general when people try to use it as a positive. Sure if you compile a list of pros and cons then such a statement has its uses, but the idea that anyone in their right mind could think "Let's do this, it will only make things a bit worse" is worthless.

I've also seen someone on twitter say "Do you think that you have a divine right to eat tomatoes in February?" while somehow trying to link tomato shortages with the fifteen minute city thing and saying that lefties are all hypocrites. The tortuous argument seemed to be something to do with how not getting tomatoes flown in reduces the carbon footprint and, as all lefties are definitely in favour of 15 Min Cities and are, to a man, enemies of Brexit then this a huge hypocrisy. It may surprise you to learn that I do not find that argument particularly convincing - leaving aside the fact that I've never really given more than a minute's thought to the cities - the thing is that while I guess I am broadly in favour of the UK reducing its carbon footprint, I would like it to do it by choosing policies that cause that to happen rather than because it's become too weak to buy food for its citizens. Brexit was supposed to make the UK stronger and it has made it pathetically weak, I don't see that that is something to celebrate even if it does have the odd accidental side-effect that could be argued to be mildly positive. Seems like an incredibly desperate attempt to make the UK's weakness into a virtue. And surely the question is not "do we have a divine right to have tomatoes in Feb?" but rather "How come we were able to have tomatoes in February no problem for the last fifty years or so but now we are not?". In fact, why am I even bothering to address this argument, surely only the most hopeless of brexsycophants can suggest that it's a good thing that the UK cannot buy enough tomatoes.

But, allow me a small digression, the above IS illustrative in that this is actually a very common thing with Brexit now that I come to think of it, its defenders have to twist themselves into the most ridiculous knots and talk the most extraordinary absolute bollocks - I'm talking here about the times when they do not tell outright lies - to try and defend the completely indefensible. So I think it is worth noting that some Brexiters have straight-facedly suggested that one Brexit benefit is that the UK cannot buy enough tomatoes* to stock supermarkets.

And here's another typical Brexit thing in fact; in a normal world with a proper government, if there was a problem with the country's food supply then the government would be facing up to it and trying to solve the problem, but unfortunately we live in Brexit world with a Brexit government so first we've got to fight to get them to admit that it's happening AND then we have to make them admit that it's a problem. And apart from a few nutters insanely saying that it's a good thing, most of the government have realised that they need to explain that cos... well cos people like eating. So it's been a battle to get this far with the government but it has pretty much done, it's the next step which will prove completely impossible - the one where they have to correctly identify the cause of the problem and try to solve it - cos the actual problem is a shibboleth, something they are ideologically forbidden from discussing.

So, as things stand the government finds itself trying to come up with a plausible explanation as to why the UK has no tomatoes - but obviously they can't mention the real reason. Which, fair enough, is actually a pretty tricky little headscratcher - when you think of the mess than this bunch of fuckheads have made of the simplest things then you can well imagine that they must have been completely stumped - I'm picturing Coffey, Cleverley etc shaking their heads in utter bewilderment like a medieval peasant trying to solve a differential equation in several variables. Whoever came up with the idea of claiming that there was a shortage across the whole of Europe due to bad weather must have seemed to them like some kind of Von Neumann level super genius, and it is quite a good idea in that, although it can be easily disproved with a small amount of research, they know full well that they have an army of useful idiots who want so hard to believe that they will hear this, accept it and repeat it for them, deliberately ignoring any of the countless pictures of overflowing abundance in supermarkets from Portugal to Netherlands to Poland as anecdotal or photoshopped or some other kind of trick, and wilfully choosing not to see the weather reports from Spain etc

Here's a screenshot I took of Portuguese news today, I find it a little strange that they report on the shortages in the UK but ignore the ones closer to home, now why would they do that I wonder? It's almost as if there isn't a shortage here....

Legumes1.jpg

In fact I thought I might as well jump on the bandwagon and grab a picture from Aldi today while I was there.

TomatoesEverywhere.jpg

Ultimately the official line seems to be something like "there isn't really a shortage but if there is it isn't that bad and the tiny not bad shortage was caused by a mixture of bad weather in Morocco and Spain which meant that there were shortages of tomatoes everywhere in Europe, but the shortages are more visible in the UK cos rising energy costs meant that UK farmers couldn't heat their greenhouses to grow out of season tomatoes, and also there is an all round shortage of farm workers but one thing we definitely know with an absolute cast-iron certainty is that it was absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Brexit in any way".

But if someone who wasn't forbidden from considering certain topics tried to think about this whole thing with an open mind they might think some of the following things; bad weather comes along every few years without cutting off the UK's tomato supply but this year something was different, and this bad weather affected the countries that supply tomatoes to all of the EU but they were all ok and the UK wasn't. So is there anything that is different about the UK this time around, any kind of change that occurred that might affect the deliveries they receive? And is there anything, any reason at all that might differentiate the UK and, say, Belgium or Spain or any other EU countries?

*The other thing that kinda bothers me and probably ought to be worrying a few people is, ok, this time it's tomatoes, but what if it's medicine or something else more vital next time?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Or let's just spell it out fully, many of the claims above in the "official line" are true as far as they go, but the smallest bit of analysis makes it obvious that without the B word they wouldn't be enough to disrupt UK supply. Are they seriously expecting us to believe that there has never been bad weather in February before? Cos I don't remember another year when you couldn't buy tomatoes in February. Or are they saying that it is literally the worst weather ever at this time of year? And yes of course energy costs are high everywhere, and particularly so in the UK because now we have left the EU we are much weaker as a negotiator in the energy markets. Oh and we do have fewer farmworkers this year, but that is cos of Brexit. And let's say that there is some small shortage of tomatoes across Europe, what could be the reason that the ones that did grow big enough to be picked went to the countries that were easiest to deliver to without a whole extra load of red tape and without having to queue for days at Dover - which all happened cos of BREXIT YOU FUCKING IDIOTS!

Really at this point anyone who says that the ultimate cause of the tomato shortage is anything other than Brexit is lying to the world and to his or herself. And the thing to me is that it's just tomatoes so it doesn't really matter, but what this shows is that we now have a government that is ideologically prevented from considering certain things, or a certain thing. Our government is literally incapable of talking about Brexit as the cause of any problem. We are in a ridiculous situation where any issue that arises cos of Brexit cannot be blamed on Brexit so the real cause cannot be identified and the issue cannot be dealt with. And Brexit is gonna cause loads of problems. So government policy is effectively to refuse to properly address a huge class of problems. It's fucking crazy.